It is true what they say

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB8701

Car
2007 Mercedes S320 W221 AMG Kit
If you need to ask how much it is to run a particular car then you can't afford to run it.

I have had the pleasure of having an S320 CDI over the last 11 monhts now. I had a major service done when I purchased it with a full gearbox oil change and asked the indy to look for anything else that might need done but it only came up with 1 wheel bearing.

It was due a service A in 1000 miles so I dropped it into Merparts as well they are known as the best and as well as the service I had the glowplug light on and wanted the car looked over again.

I am not sure if I am different from other people but I just like the car to be tip top all the time regardless of what I have.

Well Paul who by the way has amazing attention to detail comes out with a list of things to be done - in fairness a lot of it is wear and tear that won't be required for at least another 100k miles but happens to fall on my ownership. bill comes to the best part of 2.5k

He did ask if I wanted to leave some things or think it over but there is not much to think over really - either you get it done, make the car worse but driving around with poor suspension parts and bushes or sell it quick to someone else but the last two options are point blank wrong.

Maybe a few years ago I might have cried a little at a 2.5k bill but I am in a fortunate position that its still not a nice feeling but its not the end of the world.

He did say though the car would be transformed from my already high expectations I had of the car so I look forward to it!

If you need to ask how much it is to run a particular car then you can't afford to run it.
I don't really agree. Some people like to be able to budget what their expenditure will be on things like motoring. It doesn't mean they're short of money or can't afford it, they just don't like the Russian roulette of old cars.

I personally prefer new cars because I know exactly what it'll cost me over the 3 year term (bar things like insurance fluctuating slightly).

It probably comes from the days when I drove company cars when I knew what the tax deduction would be every month for the 3 years term and it always worked well for me. What I changed companies and instead got a 'car allowance' I wanted a way of motoring which would give me some known costs every month, even if it wasn't the cheapest.

I realise it'll probably cost me more money than an used model, but rocking up at a garage and getting an unexpected £2,500 bill isn't something I particularly like (others may like this kind thing - each to their own). Basically, I'm happy to pay a bit more to not have any surprises.

Affordability isn't the issue. I could afford to run a new C63S, but I'd want to know all the costs up front before I signed up.

If you like the car and want to keep it, bite the bullet and get it sorted...

Already gave the go ahead for the the work :)

S205-FTW - I understand what you are saying and ironically when I got the bill I thought thats a years lease payments on a new car but it also depends on what the new car is.

I think used vs new cars both have the benefits and down sides. I have had newer cars and not spent a penny on them but will slaughter you in depriciation and like wise a used car depending on what it is will take a minimal hit but as you said can throw up a huge bill.

In saying that my bill is mostly made of of things that are not due again in a loooong time. Off the top of my head it was front struts, control arms, bushes, cups, rear torque arms or something, front break pads, rears pads and discs, service A, glowplug ECU. I guess it will be like new after that.

Very much like you I hate surprises - Don't mind high costs if I know them but hate surprises but its a part of life. I've experienced it, used it, loved it.

next step is a newish M5 anyway in a years time. Fingers crossed!!

Already gave the go ahead for the the work :)

S205-FTW - I understand what you are saying and ironically when I got the bill I thought thats a years lease payments on a new car but it also depends on what the new car is.

I think used vs new cars both have the benefits and down sides. I have had newer cars and not spent a penny on them but will slaughter you in depriciation and like wise a used car depending on what it is will take a minimal hit but as you said can throw up a huge bill.

In saying that my bill is mostly made of of things that are not due again in a loooong time. Off the top of my head it was front struts, control arms, bushes, cups, rear torque arms or something, front break pads, rears pads and discs, service A, glowplug ECU. I guess it will be like new after that.

Very much like you I hate surprises - Don't mind high costs if I know them but hate surprises but its a part of life. I've experienced it, used it, loved it.

next step is a newish M5 anyway in a years time. Fingers crossed!!

But that's the point - it's only 1 years payment - and hopefully it's a bit of a one-off.... on a lease, it's every month, ongoing.....

However you get to run a new car and for some that's worth the horrendous depreciation.

I just sold my wifes car 2 years after we bought it for £50 more than we paid....

No matter how much you have why would you spend more than you have to? Only a fool pays more for the same. It is one of the main reasons people have more money,because they don't waste it

Sorry but you are mad. You say there were a few things that won't need doing for another 100,000 miles yet you gave the go ahead to have the work done. For the average motorist that's in 8 years time.

Sorry but you must have more money than sense.

Sorry but you are mad. You say there were a few things that won't need doing for another 100,000 miles yet you gave the go ahead to have the work done. For the average motorist that's in 8 years time.

Sorry but you must have more money than sense.

I read it as meaning it will now not need doing for another 100,000 miles. Still...a strange, look at me, thread.

I read it as meaning it will now not need doing for another 100,000 miles. Still...a strange, look at me, thread.

Aah yes. I see what you mean. Either way something of a pointless thread.

Think they saw you coming .." I don't mine spending money on her " "ok sir well you need this this this " why don't you buy a newer s class that don't need the work in the first place pointless

Think they saw you coming .." I don't mine spending money on her " "ok sir well you need this this this " why don't you buy a newer s class that don't need the work in the first place pointless

Then they said "bend over please Sir"

Wow!
Harsh

renault12ts you are correct basically the items that I was advised to have changed are items that are only ever needed every now and then, the car is 8 years old so I didn't think it was a total shocker that they turned up as needing done.
I am sure these items have not been changed since new.
In fairness I don't think merparts are like what people have described - I may be wrong.
I generally like the car to be kept as well as possible.

Regarding various comments about buy a newer s class etc yes that is a possibility however its a case of morals. Either I fix it and keep/sell it now that I know of the problems or I sell it knowing it has issues which are unknown to the next person. Sorry but thats point blank wrong.
Not something I can do. The bill is large by all accounts however I think it feels that way because its a few things being done at once. It does include brakes, a service A, Glowplug ECU too and so on...

It is what it is.

Why not just replace every component on the car, so then it will not need doing for another few thousand miles?

Just buy a new car every week before the windscreen washer bottle gets empty. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom