It's Not A Good Sign When...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was a private sale purchase AFAIK.

One hell of a repair bill for a broken wire....

Amen to that. Mind you, the problem recurred after the repair, so suspicion (in the light of what I know now) is also falling on the intercooler pump. That, too, will be replaced.

Just as soon as I get the car up and running properly, I'll be off to see about a Tier 1 warranty with MB. First, though, I'll get my local dealer to check that the ECU has not been remapped; just in case...

Would MB give a Tier-1 on a rebuilt engine though?

Holy cow! Sorry for your luck with this one Dennis :(

Ouch, this makes for painful reading. My condolences, and hope it's not as bad as it may seem, with a sliver cloud somewhere.

Some guys get all the luck.

Helpful and perceptive as ever, eh?

One word.

_ _ _ _ .

Do fill in the gaps; the rest of us will...

What’s the plan then Dennis?

Are you having it repaired or selling it as is?

In your shoes I’d probably sell it and use the money “saved” on repairs to buy something else (if that makes sense)

He certainly had a point about the wrist pin/gudgeon pin not being able to support/centralise the piston with such an acute taper towards the top. Wonder what MB/AMG reasoning for such a design?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's supposedly to increase the contact area
Parallel and tapered connecting rods
Ever-increasing combustion pressures are increasing the stresses on piston pin mountings on connecting rods. To better absorb higher forces, the usable area of the connecting rod bearings has been increased by using tapered connecting rods. Its evidently quite common on forced induction engines but I expect its effectiveness lies on how the principle is executed in practice?
see
Connecting rods · Motorservice

BF_parallelpleuel_und_trapezpleuel_EN.png

Helpful and perceptive as ever, eh?

One word.

_ _ _ _ .

Do fill in the gaps; the rest of us will...
How dramatic. You do have form for turning car buying and ownership into a soap opera.

How dramatic. You do have form for turning car buying and ownership into a soap opera.

And you have form for snidey comments, and sometimes you go too far even for my taste. Schadenfreude is not an attractive attribute or quality.

What’s the plan then Dennis?

Are you having it repaired or selling it as is?

In your shoes I’d probably sell it and use the money “saved” on repairs to buy something else (if that makes sense)

I haven't really made my mind up yet, but I think I'm edging towards selling it as is. The cost is not a major factor, fortunately, but I'm satisfied that the M157 has a problem with conrods that are not as strong as they could, and possibly should, be at full throttle.

If I have it repaired, how confident can I be that my problem will not recur at full chat? If I buy a second-hand engine (even if I can find a good one), how confident can I be both on that point, and that the engine I buy does not have the problem already? It took at least five thousand miles for the failure to become apparent on my car, and the engine ran perfectly well for nearly all that time...

Basically, do I want to be driving a high-performance car that I cannot confidently use full power in?

And then Will posted that very-low-mileage E63 estate today...

It sounds like the garage have already stripped the engine so if they are going to put it back together again then they may as well use new parts. Alternatively get the car back and part it out, there's a good chance you will get more for the spares than the whole car.

I haven't really made my mind up yet, but I think I'm edging towards selling it as is. The cost is not a major factor, fortunately, but I'm satisfied that the M157 has a problem with conrods that are not as strong as they could, and possibly should, be at full throttle.

If I have it repaired, how confident can I be that my problem will not recur at full chat? If I buy a second-hand engine (even if I can find a good one), how confident can I be both on that point, and that the engine I buy does not have the problem already? It took at least five thousand miles for the failure to become apparent on my car, and the engine ran perfectly well for nearly all that time...

Basically, do I want to be driving a high-performance car that I cannot confidently use full power in?

And then Will posted that very-low-mileage E63 estate today...
Do you have the space to break up the car and sell the spares? My son did that with a Seat Cupra and got more money in spares than the car was worth.

Last edited:
It sounds like the garage have already stripped the engine so if they are going to put it back together again then they may as well use new parts. Alternatively get the car back and part it out, there's a good chance you will get more for the spares than the whole car.

Do you have the space to break up the car and sell the spares? My son did that with a Seat Cupra and got more money in spares than the car was worth.

Yes, the engine is stripped right down. Sadly, I have nowhere to keep it,so would have to sell it as one lot.

Last edited:
Last edited:
As said, labour to strip and put back is already going to cost you Dennis. I's sure someone mentioned using Forged parts? Or will it always play on your mind when wanting to give it full beans?

:DHang on; I haven't made my mind up what to do yet...

I havn't given any thought to what it might be worth; PM me with an offer if you like.

As said, labour to strip and put back is already going to cost you Dennis. I's sure someone mentioned using Forged parts? Or will it always play on your mind when wanting to give it full beans?

I don't know how much forged parts would cost, but I wouldn't want to tune it. If the conrods were no different to the OE ones originally fitted, yes it would play on my mind.

I''m sleeping on it tonight, and tomorrow night; I'll have to make my mind up by Tuesday morning so I know what I want Terry Gates to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom