• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Jessops / Comet etc equivalents in America

A-AvantGarde

MB Enthusiast
Car
2023 Mercedes EQC400, 2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2019 BMW X5 40i
I'm off to the US on Monday for a week with work and my digital camera has just died (conveniently?) Anyway I'm looking to buy a replacement when I'm out there, will be mainly in Baltimore, but will be off to Boston and somewhere in Conneticut too.

Any recommendations on where to buy? I've got Costco membership and have used that in the US before. Checked there's one about 10 miles from or hotel, also WalMart witin a couple of miles, any other ideas? As the title says, is there is a Jessops / Comet type equivalent in America. I know of Circuity City & Frys (although Frys are mainly West Coast based). Also CompUSA (their PC World equivalent) appeared to have gone under and started up again but on a much smaller scale (Florida only at the mo).

Don't want to buy online, want to walk into a store to buy (ideally in Baltimore).

Looking at spending about $250, quite like the Nikon Coolpix S600 (don't seem to have the S700 out there)

When in Denver, I purchased a camera from a Target store, seemed cheap enough - assume there would be plenty in Baltimore, but obviously not sure if they would stock the camera you're after

I use Best Buy whenever I'm in the states purchasing electrical/camera goods. Huge chain huge selection.

I use Best Buy whenever I'm in the states purchasing electrical/camera goods. Huge chain huge selection.

According to yesterdays paper, Best Buy are opening in the UK soon.
Currys, Comet etc will be pleased..................:eek:

Russ

I was stuck in Maryland about 18 months back when BA lost my luggage (idiots), so I can offer a bit of advice!

1. Arundel Mills Mall, out by the airport. There's a Best Buy and a Ritz Camera store there. http://www.simon.com/mall/directory.aspx?ID=1230

2. The Mall in Columbia (where I was staying, maybe 20 mins drive from Baltimore). Another Ritz, and a big electronics section in Sears. http://www.themallincolumbia.com/html/index20.asp

Make sure you do your research before you go, though, as they aren't always the bargains you might expect. I was after a Canon Ixus compact (they're called something else in the US), but found there was no saving compared to buying on-line from home.

Hope this helps and enjoy the malls!

Cheers,

Gaz

Boston - drive north up the I-93 to New Hampshire (30 miles)- there's no sales tax there (normally about 7%) , and there's a really nice shooting range - you can plink away with .454 casull's, Uzi machine guns, MP5's etc for very little money........PM if you want details. Abercrombie kit there is about 1/3 of what it costs here, if that's your (or in my case eldest daughter's) style.

Boston - drive north up the I-93 to New Hampshire (30 miles)- there's no sales tax there (normally about 7%) , and there's a really nice shooting range - you can plink away with .454 casull's, Uzi machine guns, MP5's etc for very little money........PM if you want details. Abercrombie kit there is about 1/3 of what it costs here, if that's your (or in my case eldest daughter's) style.

Yep, Abercrombie & Polo is on the list too, just got my itineray not sure how much shopping I can squeeze in though :mad:

That shooting range sounds crazy, that would be an experience!

Jessops equivalent is RITZ Cameras.

Try Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA - they are your currys/Comet equivalents.

Whereabouts are you going to Boston? if its north, then head up to New Hampshire - as they are a tax free state, NASHUA is fairly popular.

State tax varies from state to state and is from 0 - 12%.

Also when in Boston, take a drive up to WRENTHAM PREMIUM OUTLETS, you can do all the shopping you want for literally peanuts!! eq, GAP/Tommy Hilfiger polos at £5 !! especially with the current exchane rate.

If You want baby cloth shopping they have Osh Kosh B'Gosh, and GAP kids - and you can save literally $100's.

My colleague and I always go out there with shopping lists (& spare duffle bags) when visiting our offices there.

Shooting wise, don't be surprised if the range turn you away being a NON US-Resident, although not a law there, some ranges will not entertain foriegners.

S700 's are out there...

NIKON COOLPIX S700

But do remember that anything you get from the US only has 90 Day limited US warranty - so check and take out additional international if needed - although I have never had any issues with the many purchases I have made there over the years.

Also when in Boston, take a drive up to WRENTHAM PREMIUM OUTLETS

Went last year when I was in Boston, they also have a SONY outlet centre with good deals. Was tempted by a camcorder.
Going to Boston again in 3 weeks time, may be worth another visit to Wrentham to see what they have.
Bought a pair of Timberland shoes, £100 approx in UK, $30 (£15) from the Timberland shop in Wrentham. The wife bought a few things as well, but thankfully managed to keep her spending under control.

Enjoy your trip, and hope you find a bargain.

S700 's are out there...

NIKON COOLPIX S700

But do remember that anything you get from the US only has 90 Day limited US warranty - so check and take out additional international if needed - although I have never had any issues with the many purchases I have made there over the years.

Yes I've found it on some US sites now, even found it for $199 online from a Manhattan based electrical retailer :D, will need to look into it a bit further - seems too cheap. Most other retailers have it at between $260 - $310

Wrentham also has a bose centre, as well as a very cheap Levis (501/505's $24.99) and Timberland store (classic walking boots about $60)....

Burlington Mall - http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=146

Is just over the state line from Mass, in New Hampshire, so has no tax, and most of the shops - Abercrombie, Hollister, etc. - It's much smaller than Burlington Mall (so are most UK villages), but cheaper.....

The range (http://www.gunsnh.com/ - you want the Manchester one) are fine with Brits - you fill in a form (photo ID required), pick a gun (start with the smaller calibers - 9mm, etc, then work your way up to a .45, .44M, and .454 Casull), purchase ammo, they ask " Are you familer with the operation of this firearm sir ?" - they will happily go through it all - and off you go to the range. Once you can reasonablly control a pistol, try something bigger, like an MP5/Uzi/UMP, AR-15, etc on full auto - A cheap souvenier is empty cartridge cases - I brought back 4 boxes (of 50) no problem.

I got a Nikon D60 - with 12 months warrenty.

For the Mrs... Estee Lauder/Clinique is very cheap a Macy's - remember to ask for some samples as well....

As for time - most Mall's (and the range) are open untill 2200.....who needs rest and sleep when you can pick up 5 hour energy shots (honest - google it ! - and they do what they say on the tin) at any Walgreens or CVS......

Obviously.... you will be declaring it all on your return......

Last edited:
Went last year when I was in Boston, they also have a SONY outlet centre with good deals. Was tempted by a camcorder.

I would avoid the Sony Outlet there, as the prices are nothing special - and most importantly, 95% of the things there are refurbished, and come with very limited warranty. The Bose outlet has more new things, but prices again are mall prices.

The prices there are same as any retail mall out there - so take a drive to Nashua, NH, and buy any electronics tax free from Best Buy, CompUSA or Circuit City.

Regarding the Nikon S700 - I have in the past purchased two cameras from Prestige Camera, and have never had a problem with any of them. If you have any colleagues out there, ask them to buy it from Prestige and have it shipped to them - as they only ship to the cardholders address, unless you can make a special arrangement with them to ship it to your hotel.

Oh also, when you go to Wrentham Malls go to the customer service office (back far right) and buy a discount voucher book for $5 or show them your AA membership card and you get it for free. It will save you loads - trust me... :)

Oh also, when you go to Wrentham Malls go to the customer service office (back far right) and buy a discount voucher book for $5 or show them your AA membership card and you get it for free. It will save you loads - trust me... :)

AA as in Automobile Association?

Don't think I'll get to Wrentham Malls on this trip but will bear it in mind.

Cheers all for the useful advice...

YES - AA as in Automobile Association - They have AAA over there, but always entertain my AA card - else its only $5 anyway which you save pretty quickly, but why pay when you don't have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom