Junk/spam e-mails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
In the last 2 or 3 weeks my personal e-mail address ([email protected]) has been latched onto.
Todays offerings are:
Marney MCConkey - BuyCheap\ /IgaraOnIineFromIiceensnedOnIinnePhaarmacies.
Margaret Jones - GoodSexualLifeIisTheCornrerStooneOofReIations.
Adrienne Andel - DicrseetPpacagKingForAIlOurCusttomers.
Anthe Coleman - DDsiccreetPacagkgingForAIlOurCusttomers.

Now I have tried deleting them, tried "marking them as Phishing Scam, but each day another 4 or 5.
Is there a way of blocking them, bearing in mind it is a different "female" sender each time?

what email client are you using?

Only I'm surprised the built in spam filter isnt picking up these rather obvious keywords.

e-mail client?

Don't understand the question.

I use Firefox & Hotmail - is that the right answer?

Do you think the keywords are not picked up as they are all spelt wrongly?

Well maybe you should use an email client and then you can avoid this issue. Words like phaarma, buycheap, sexual, Pacagkging you could add to your filter and before long you'd be trapping the vast majority of junk.

Besides which many mail client filters dont even need word scores to spot junk emails. Mass mailers are just that... a decent mail filter will know the same email is doing the rounds and it will already have a point score and end up in the trash.

Because you use a browser for email, there is very little you can do other than look at your Hotmail junk settings and maybe crank them up a notch.

Being a bit blonde here - how would I change to an e-mail client?

To be fair... spam in general is massive issue these days, and 4-5 messages a day are an annoyance but not unacceptable imo... the problem is likely to go away by itself eventually, as Hotmail's spam filters will catch on to this type of spam. Unless the messages are explicit and offensive, and children have access to the PC, 4-5 spam messages a day is not really a big issue, I would think?

If you're using hotmail webmail, you can bump up your spam filter...

•Select Options | More options from the main Windows Live Hotmail navigation bar.
•Follow the Filters and reporting link under Junk e-mail.
•Choose a level above whatever you are now under Choose a junk e-mail filter.
•Click Save

Note that at it's highest setting, it will move to spam anything that is not from people in your address book...

Alternatively, you can use a local client, though iirc, you need to pay microsoft for the priviledge of sync'ing your hotmail account with a local client (e.g. outlook, thunderbird, etc)

M.

Being a bit blonde here - how would I change to an e-mail client?

You'd need to buy/download an email application, oh and then setup some rules or get an antispam add-on.. for example I use
http://www.spamfighter.com/ (this is not a shameless plug, I have no vested interest in any such product).

Only two choices on the spam/junk filters - standard & exclusive. I'm set to standard, exclusive only allows senders from address book.
markjay is right, 4 or 5 a day isn't a huge problem, it is just that this type started recently and seems consistant at that level.
Having said that, only 2 today (so far). Maybe Hotmail filters are starting to recognise the pattern of the e-mails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom