• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Just driven a CLK500 and CLK55

The nav disc is 06/07 and all looked great.

Is there a 08/09 disc out? How much would that cost.......if it's worth upgrading? That together with the bearings are valid reasons for another £500 off the price. Make him the offer and let him sit on it for a week, if you're happy to run the risk of someone else buying it.

edit: just read again that the issue with the bearings was on the 500......sorry, ignore me

Last edited:
Hello

Both sound quite good, purely on a modern feel the 500 CLK will be much more like your GL inside (switch gear etc) and it also looks much newer as its the current shape. Private plate it could be a 40K car.

The AMG with 5 owners and 10K for the old shape although quick, too me seems a lot of money? I would want that steering checked as that would concern me as to why but could be really simple fix.

Both will depreciate but at this level your not losing much what ever, 9K and 10K. I work on 3K a year depreciation so both if you have them 3 years in a way have earned their keep.

Fact is both will still be worth 5K in another 3yrs assuming you don't do galaxy miles.

Thing is in another 3 years the 55 will look much older again, as the new CLK will be out. I know thats a smeggy point but its a fact.

For me I would be happier with the newer CLK500 and knowing I can sort the paint and wheels it would look mint. 9K sat on your drive it will look great, probably slightly cheaper insurance / runing costs also although not a deal breaker.

Here's an idea....

Buy the CLK500 have that for a year or so and swap for a new shape CLK55 if you miss or want more power??

Ive loved following this! as Ive been toying with the idea of spending up to 10 grand myself on something a bit newer with a few toys.

Ignoring price and depreciation, I think the AMG is the one that'll have you repeatedly looking back as you leave it in the car park at the supermarket, and its bound to feel more special to say "my AMG" as opposed to "my CLK"!!. I also personally prefer the interior of the older car.

However, on price, I would certainly chip another £500 off the AMG. Be patient it will come.

Hello

Buy the CLK500 have that for a year or so and swap for a new shape CLK55 if you miss or want more power??

I think if you are buying a large engined car in this market, you need to be prepared to either keep it along time or accept that it will depreciate alot in a short space of time.

I much prefer the looks of the 209 over the 208, but think the 55 is a safer place to put your cash as it will hold its value better.

I am about to buy an E500 with full AMG kit, some have said to me that I should have gone for an E55. The reason that I have not done so is that I dont need the extra power or want the associated expensive of running an AMG.

If you can afford the 55 and its running costs, then you should buy it and dont look back. The 500 will cost slightly less to run, but it isn't proportional to the smile u'll get out of the 55 every time u floor it :D

500 looks unloved and it will be like this in every respect so if you buy it you may well find other things wrong/broken as time goes by.

Offer £9k for the 55. He'll say no. Hand him a piece of paper with your phone number on it and tell him "OK, I'm looking at a few others but if you change your mind give me a call." Walk away and wait.

I'm going to put my hat on the 55.:bannana:

Sounds like its in much better condition and there will always be enthusiasts prepared to pay for an AMG. Not so a 500.

Offer £9k for the 55. He'll say no. Hand him a piece of paper with your phone number on it and tell him "OK, I'm looking at a few others but if you change your mind give me a call." Walk away and wait.

Depends on the dealer and his margin. If he is anyything like me, he will do the deal there and then as long as he has the margin... I would suggest you say I have X amount for this car.. if you can accept then ill leave a deposit/take the car now..

i get a lot of people doing that with me.. leave me names and numbers for me to phone if i change my mind.. cant remember ever calling one back.
nothing to lose though.

... and on how he's financing his stock which is why you've a better chance now than ever before.

My advice based on experience - admitedly you have to find the right car with the dealer who needs to sell but there are plenty of both out there at the moment.

I'd go for the 208 '55.

Both cars are at or near to the bottom end of the depreciation curve, so it doesn't matter which you get from that persecptive IMHO.

Running costs will be close, AMG discs and air filters aside, everthing else will be the same.

I am quite biased of course :) but even when it comes to buying a new car for me next year, I will be keeping the AMG long-term, most likely forever. I probably wouldn't do that if it was a non-AMG. For me, it's something special.

I asked him (55 trader) how many cars he had sold, he said only two this year so far! There is a little bit of competition for the 55, some chap with an older Porcshe Carrera wanted to do a straight swap, not sure why he didn't accept that. he wants to know my decision by Monday. I would be minded to offer £9500 as my final bid and see what he says.

I am certainly erring towards the 55, the 'unloved' state of the 500 worries me a bit. Whilst it would be an absolute pleasure to bring it back to life, it concerns me that they maybe other stuff that comes to light. Getting the 55 means digging a little deeper into my pockets.... as far as running costs are concerned; discs and pads all round changed just 11000 miles ago, tyres are pretty good (albeit a make I haven't heard of) so actually it could be cheaper to run than the 500 for the first 12 months or so.

Thing is in another 3 years the 55 will look much older again, as the new CLK will be out. I know thats a smeggy point but its a fact.

Just my tup'pence worth

2 years after the new CLK is out they will both look dated. 3 years after that the 208 will be closer to classic car status and as it is the best of the 208's (hope I got that right) it will be very desirable.

Nice quandary all the same....

Are ther any pics of the CLK55?

'55 pics....

1-2.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

After seeing the pics of the 55....I'd go for that one! :D

I'd try and chip him down, even if it's only by £200....it's still £200 in your pocket!

The 500 is pillarless which is an appeal in itself...

Thats the one major flaw of the first generation clk's, that they were not pillarless... glad MB found their senses & went back to them with the 2nd generation....

Tough chioce, would be interested to know the OTR prices of these when new, to work out which has depreciated best so far....

EDIT: Just seen those pics of the CLK, I would go for that, the 500 just looks like a moneypit with big bills around the corner.

Last edited:
CLK55 AMG, Classic in waiting (if not so already). Better looking car IMO and nicer colour. Where do I sign?

I'd go for the CLK 55 AMG, as it looks like a well maintained example, whereas the CLK500 is the complete opposite.

Just gotta be the AMG Peter. The heritage of AMG, the stance of the car, the very essence of one over the other. Have looked hard at both sets of pictures. The AMG wins by a country mile. Sunday morning, finishing off the wash and polish, lift the "hood" AMG smiles back at you. Boy I wish I had this decision to make. AMG would win it hands down everytime for me. Whichever way you go, enjoy. You deserve it. Great thread, loved every post, and each to their own.

Last edited:
Go visit him and say to him face2face that you've got £9500 on hand right now and u'll do the deal. And he'll most probably give in. Dont do it over the phone, its easier to convince people face2face imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom