Just won one on ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FunkMasterJay

Car
W202 C200 Sport Auto
Hello all.

I just managed to win a C230K on ebay. Item number 280589888032.

I know it was a bit of a risk....heater fan needs replacing so the drive down from Scotland to Essex with no heat should be fun. Hopefully the new car adrenalin rush should last me.

I have Barclays Premier so if it breaks down I will have RAC assistance.

I will be needing a W202 heater fan soon.

If anyone has any words of advice, please let me know.

Jason.

Yeah...he did say Glasgow airport.

I have not spoken to him yet (I guess he is working). Can anyone let me know how easy it is for the heater fan to be fixed / replaced?

I got the car for £610.

My insurance is going up another £80 odd to £460 for the year, or I can up my monthly payment to £60 for next 4 instalments.

I am so chuffed to finally own a c230k. My uncle bought one brand new in 1997 R599UFC and I knew one day I would own one.

Anything else I should look out for.

Cheers people.

Can anyone let me know how easy it is for the heater fan to be fixed / replaced?
Taking the fan out /fitting new is a doddle. I wrote a HOWTO for it a few years ago but the pics have vanished, I need to find them again.

The sad bit is that a new fan costs £263.20 from MB. The most common fault is worn brushes. Your best bet for a cheap repair is to find an engineer that will machine some new brushes for you.

I managed to get an extra 5 years out of the motor by stretching the little springs behind each brush so they push the brushes a little harder towards the centre.

There are plenty of these cars around, why buy one at the other end of the country without even being able to view it? Add the cost of flying there, petrol driving it back down south etc surely buying a local one would be better even if you had to spend a bit more.

Edit: I hope it all works out well anyway.

Last edited:
There are plenty of these cars around, why buy one at the other end of the country without even being able to view it? Add the cost of flying there, petrol driving it back down south etc surely buying a local one would be better even if you had to spend a bit more.
Where's the fun in that?! :)

Spoil sport! ;)

I won a £320 w124 estate once, in Newcastle. Flew up from Exeter, drove home with a big grin.

Can, however, see the potential expensive time consuming downsides to this approach mind you.

Sometimes these crazy things just have to be done!

Good luck with your new car and I hope it is what you're expecting! Book the return ticket just in case and don't be afraid to use it if the cars not as described!

Spoil sport! ;)

I won a £320 w124 estate once, in Newcastle. Flew up from Exeter, drove home with a big grin.

Can, however, see the potential expensive time consuming downsides to this approach mind you.

Sometimes these crazy things just have to be done!

Good luck with your new car and I hope it is what you're expecting! Book the return ticket just in case and don't be afraid to use it if the cars not as described!
My first W202 (and car purchase I should add) was from over 100 miles from my house and my second car purchase was from the south coast (I live in the NW). It's a little adventure! :D

NPUK, I quite fancied the challenge and it was worth the punt.

All,
Cheers for the advice, I will book a return flight. Is it worth getting a fan from a 202 that is being broken?

Also, I have access to a workshop and I am off on Monday / Tuesday so was hoping to service and go over. Anything in particular to replace?

I am a Toyota (Jap) man so new to this.

Jason.

I have a fan that you can have. I know you dont have enough posts yet to PM but get up to 30 and drop me a PM.

Taking the fan out /fitting new is a doddle. I wrote a HOWTO for it a few years ago but the pics have vanished, I need to find them again.

The sad bit is that a new fan costs £263.20 from MB. The most common fault is worn brushes. Your best bet for a cheap repair is to find an engineer that will machine some new brushes for you.

I managed to get an extra 5 years out of the motor by stretching the little springs behind each brush so they push the brushes a little harder towards the centre.

ECP sell the heater fan for £95:18 and a Valeo version for £135:13, are they suitable for my car or would I need to get one from MB?

How old is the car? Barclays Premier RAC is for cars under 10 years old..

Sounds a good buy.
Just remember if it's not as described suck in your pride and walk (fly?) away from it.
Plenty of w202's being broken so the heater should not be hard to source.

Hi Crockers,
No it's Additions Active that has restrictions. I have been premier for a while and was even fine with my ST182 Celica which was 17 years old. Oh, and I work for Barclays. :D

Momomo, I will take you up on that. my email is jason dot nortey at gmail dot com.

J

Last edited:
Jason:You can delete your email as I`ve pm`d him

Good luck with the new car , looks like it could be a bargin . When my wife bought her frist MR2 it wa in Glasgow , we flew over from Dublin then drove down to the ferry and came back by Belfast , it was a fun experince .
Then when we bough the 210 Merc we bought it in Cork and flew down with the kids and drove the car home .

Who cares if the car is in Scotland and the buyer in essex-Life is too short to worry about stuff like that....Nice long test drive though---Lots of hot flasks of coffee, rug for the knees and a mink coat.....imagine if you got stopped wearing a mink??:bannana::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom