key versions for w211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m2mb

SUPPORTER
Car
E220 CDI 2008, E220d 2019
Hi guys,

W211 Question first: would the emergency key 'bit' salvaged from my gen3 key fit into a new gen4 key fob?
(see picture, 4gen is the one to the right i think). If so I'll save 50 quid on the new key. Mb says no sir, u need a new bit as well and who am I to argue!

Cheers..

Some uninteresting facts..
After unsuccessful dyi attempts to repair (again) the electronic board of the old key, i decided to order a new original one. What a pain!
The key failed because the aftermarket shell virtually crampled after 9 years of use. The other, original, key has always been in a bad shape since i bought the car and that is why I demanded the second, even aftermarket, key when I bought the car in the first place)20201008_205441.jpg)

Do you have panic option on your car?
I thought this was only a US feature?

No i don't. Just a red herring!!

I had the black plastic keys and got a new chrome style key coded the blade didn't fit. Think the top of it is a slightly different shape.

So ingenius of mb! Essentially they are the same 'exact' key where it matters (fit in the lock) but otherwise different enough to not fit in a newer shell!

So ingenius of mb! Essentially they are the same 'exact' key where it matters (fit in the lock) but otherwise different enough to not fit in a newer shell!

You could try and have it cut , but you'd need a licenced key maker i guess..

I've got the same issue - 3rd Gen key will not unlock the car (the microswitch is u/s) - the 4th Gen key I have doesn't have the emergency key and the 3rd Gen one has the retention cut out on the "wrong" side! My friendly locksmith thinks he can get the correct blank and recut it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom