Leaking SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nardo

Hi

Has any SLK owners experianced water dripping from under the passenger part of the dash console/ glove box area. i noticed it yeaterday dripping and when i drove up a hill it was dripping quite badly and i could hear water sloshing about, which i thought might have been in the glove box , but wasnt on inspection. i have looked under the console and can see a panel that ihas holes in it (about big enough to stick a pencil through) and that is wet espically on the LHS. could there be heater hoses in and around that area? or would it be a leaking windscreen?

would be grateful if anyone has any advice/experiance of this sort of thing.

Hi Nardo,

Welcome to the forum! :bannana: :bannana:

I'm afraid I can't help you as I haven't had any leaks in my car. Is it still under warranty? Do you have any pics of the problem for comparison.

Cheers,
Si

Does the heating in the car still work correctly as sometimes the heater matrix fails and leaks into the car?

Gav.

Hi yeah the heater is ine. the water is very clean and fresh. i have taken off the pannel with the holes in it. i think that is where the warm air is blown through to keep your feet warm pulled back some of the carpet too. the insulation on the upper side of this black plastic panel with the holes in it was saturated.

It was raining at the time and there was a constant dripping of water fro up inside the console, but could nt see up high enough to assertain where exactly the water was orignating from. i have stuffed a couple of towels in the fotwell to soak up the water on the carpet and put a top cover over the car as it pouring with rain tonight.

I know nothing about SLKs but leaks into the cabin of most cars are caused by blocked drains (leaves and stuff).

From other merc convertibles, youll find that funny leaks like this occur due to a bad seal somewhere with the roof... And also, if a drain channel is blocked, water will re-route itself to the oddest of places!
If not then my second guess would be something to do with heater, but then i dont know much about the slk inparticular...

I have sorted out the problem. I removed the wiper arms then unscrewed the plastic gutter panel to gain access to the drain holes. The Nr side was totally blocked, i was quite amazed as the car is only a couple of years old!. I removed the plastic trim at the bottom of the Nr side wing where the water should drain out of and cleared that area of muck, grit old leaves etc. then i poured hot water into the drain hole area until it filled right up. i can see why the water was comming into the car , it was running over a metal section that is for the air to enter the passenger footwells etc. so when i went up a steep hill thats when it was pouring into the car!.

I got an old coat hanger and cleared the blockage and sucked out all the mess with the Vax nozzle. Then poured more hot water down the drain hole to really flush it out. Did the other side while i had the panel off.

Thanks for yr positive feedback on my posting !

Cheers.

OK, here's a blast from the past, a rave from the grave....

apologies for dragging up such an old post but I have a very similar problem with my 99 SLK.

I can hear water sloshing about in the front passenger side of the car. There is no water inside the car or in the boot but but there is definitely a pint or 2 moving about which I can hear when driving.

The post above mentions blocked drian holes. This could be the problem for me. I can see how to get the panel off around the base of the windscreen wipers to clean inside but I cannot see how to get access at the bottom of the wing.

Has anyone else had to do this?? Any advice appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom