Leather seats

Do you prefer leather or material seats?

• I prefer leather

Votes: 230 79.9%
  • I prefer material

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • I prefer material but have leather because it's expected

Votes: 21 7.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No wonder some threads kick off... :rolleyes:

:D

Makes a change for the shoe to be on the other foot! :rolleyes:

With our young kids leather (or vinyl) is a must - they would leave a cloth interior in ruins with a single trip. For track days however I prefer cloth seats, but I still voted leather.

The preference can certainly be a strong one. I choose leather every time, but I have a friend with a Mondeo and a friend with a 190E and neither would touch a leather-trimmed car.

When I purchased my Merc brand new I could have chosen leather or cloth, difference in price was unimportant. Choose cloth and have no regrets, I have always thought leather cold in winter and too hot in summer and when sitting in other cars with leather I am still of the same opinion. Everyone to their own.

Leather most defo. -- easier getting in and out, and no static shocks :)

We've had full leather on three cars - Honda, BMW (E89), and MB (R170). Of these I've only really liked the leather on the R170. The stuff on the BMW and Honda doesn't/didn't have the same feel and just reminds me of thick vinyl.

We've had half/part leather on two cars - my W211 and an MG F. Both of these were fine IMO. The W211 AG fabric has lasted really well (as has the rest of the interior).

Given the choice on a new car I'd go for part leather as long as the fabric looked like it would wear well. Barring that I'd go for leather.

I have leather on the present 210, but had cloth on the previous one. Prefer the cloth.

I remember in the 70s after years of vinyl seats, cloth was introduced and became a big selling point on cars then.

I think it really depends on the purpose...

For a comfortable car I drive to work, leather is a must.

On the other hand, if it's one of the bangers I plan on driving across Africa, or something I want to carry all sorts goods in, I really do prefer cloth. Leather + African sun is not fun...

M.

Leather sticks to exposed skin on long journeys!
I'm fortunate enough to be old enough to wear long trousers so that's not a problem for me! ;)

Leather every time. For me it looks so much better and feels so much better. My living room sofas are leather, my office chair is leather. It's what I'm used to. Sitting on cloth seats I associate with travelling on a bus or train. I've never had to sit on anything other than leather when flying first or business class.

The last car I owned with cloth was a 260E - it made an otherwise classy looking car appear cheap. And it had worn through completely on the driver's seat bolster nearest the door because of being slid over every time getting in and out.

The leather on my W208 CLK still looked fantastic when I sold the car earlier this year with 117k miles on the clock:
knighterrant-albums-clk230k-sold-after-10-great-years-picture5704-clk230k-006.jpg

And my 22 year old Porsche 944 also still had nice leather after 105k miles:
knighterrant-albums-porsche-944s2-cabriolet-picture5712-porsche944s2-interior.jpg

So of course I opted for leather in my C350 when I ordered it, but for the first time ever I now have the luxury of comfort ventilated seats so I don't even have to be concerned about heat or cold (not that I ever was TBH).

I've never had to sit on anything other than leather when flying first or business class.

I'd say that leather was the covering on only a minority of front cabin flights I've been on. Depends a lot on airline, route, and specific aircraft fit.

So far IME all the proper lie flat ones have been fabric and it's the seats or the in-between sort of lie almost flattish ones that have been leather.

I guess experience may vary widely on this.

The majority of times I've been in a leather seat it's been the old BMI or BA domestic shuttles. And on the whole they've tended to look well worn at best.

Leather all the way. Both cars. And all the sofas in the house. And all the kitchen chairs come to think of it.

Cloth car seats just end up getting manky. As do those in mini-cabs, trains, etc.

Leather is just far easier to keep clean.

For the same reason I'm not a big fan of carpets in houses. They're OK when brand new but five years on God know what's lurking in them.

Just bought a house and the first job it to rip out all the carpets and lay oak floors. And then bring in the leather seating :)

Just bought a house and the first job it to rip out all the carpets and lay oak floors. And then bring in the leather seating :)

Or just buy a vacuum cleaner... ;)

I'd say that leather was the covering on only a minority of front cabin flights I've been on. Depends a lot on airline, route, and specific aircraft fit.

So far IME all the proper lie flat ones have been fabric and it's the seats or the in-between sort of lie almost flattish ones that have been leather.

I guess experience may vary widely on this.

The majority of times I've been in a leather seat it's been the old BMI or BA domestic shuttles. And on the whole they've tended to look well worn at best.
I have to admit that I've only travelled First Class once (London - Bangkok via Bahrain). It was with Gulf Air about five years ago in a new A330 which definitely had leather seats. Here's an extract from their cabin description: "Upholstered in New Zealand wood with a leather finish, beech wood paneling and draped with silk cushions, the Sleeper Seat epitomises luxury in every sense of the word." I can confirm that they were the best seats I've ever flown in. Most of my business class flights have been long haul (Australia and Far East) with major airlines and most have been leather seats. Although they're more costly to install, many airlines prefer them because they're easier to clean and prevent spilt liquids from soaking through to the padding. Just as they are in cars!

many airlines prefer them because they're easier to clean and prevent spilt liquids from soaking through to the padding. Just as they are in cars!

A liquid spill would stain good quality hide. These days they tend to coat it with something to make it more durable, but this often leaves it looking and feeling more like vinyl. Even the smell is usually artificial.

Definitely prefer cloth - Alcantara if possible which I had in my last BMW. Leather is not as comfortable. This is my first car with leather and only had leather as its standard on the CLK 500

B_T_S

My latest purchase has two-tone artico seats, and I like the texture and having covered 46k miles, they look like new!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom