Leaving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wezzel

Car
C220 cdi Sport Estate
:(Hi Everybody,

Unfortunately, corrosion has won over once again. Dispite my car having over 220k miles and still running like a dream, the dreaded tin worm has beaten me into submission.

I had a new bootlid fitted under warranty but now corrosion is popping up everywhere - both wings, door edges and rear arches. It's a shame 'cos I loved the car and would gladly have kept it for another few years. It certainly wasn't caused by neglect as I washed it every week, cleaned out the arches and kept it waxed and polished.

I now have (I'm afraid) a shiney new Saab as a replacement. It may be a glorified Vauxhall but at least I won't have to worry about corrosion.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me over the last few years. This is a great forum and I will dip in from time to time to see what's occuring.

Wezzel

A real shame.
I felt exactly the same over my w210. A great, reliable car, 154,000 trouble free miles (bought at thirty something K). Most of the car repaired/resprayed by MB, but serious rust breaking through making it embarrassing to own.

A real shame.
I felt exactly the same over my w210. A great, reliable car, 154,000 trouble free miles (bought at thirty something K). Most of the car repaired/resprayed by MB, but serious rust breaking through making it embarrassing to own.

I am new to |Merc, is rust the downfall for them then? Do they rust more badly than other German or any car for that matter ?

Aye...

The wife's W168 is in for repair at the moment. It just over 5 years old. :crazy:

I am new to |Merc, is rust the downfall for them then? Do they rust more badly than other German or any car for that matter ?

From around 1996 to 2004, Mercedes had a (justifiably) terrible reputation for rusting, particularly on the w210 and the w202. The w215 also sufferred from corrosion.
I am assured that from 2004 the problem was addressed and resolved.

Edit: sorry, forgot to include the w208

A feeling I can sympathise with. Rust on this era of car is not acceptable, expecially what should be a premium German brand.

Good luck with the Saab.

W220s (pre facelift) do rust ..

Facelift ones are less likely to since they are mostly galvanised.

Very disappointing.

I personaly would put up with the rust, than have a new Saab because of the heavy depreciation and problems with getting hold of some parts

I see that Ted did an edit to include the W208

My CLK 320 (W208) was first registered Nov 1999.

Coming up to its 10th birthday the inside edges of the rear wheel arches were bubbling up with rust on boths sides. Had a big impact on the price that I sold the car for when buying the E500.

What hope for my new toy?

I thought saab had gone belly up? hope you got it cheap.

Lynall

I thought saab had gone belly up? hope you got it cheap.

There are some good s/h deals out there for sure. A mate bought a 1 year old Saab 95 Aero (260bhp) estate, leather and a lot of toys for £12k.

There are some good s/h deals out there for sure. A mate bought a 1 year old Saab 95 Aero (260bhp) estate, leather and a lot of toys for £12k.

was that from a SAAB dealer?

This thread gives the details of when Mercedes began full galvanising of all steel panels.
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34227

BTW BMW had plenty of rust problems too when they switched to water-based paints, same time as Mercedes did. They also moved to extensive galvanising to solve the problem.
http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=39921&PN=1

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=39921&PN=1

Attachments

• Galvanised A Class.jpg
    Galvanised A Class.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 77

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom