LED interior kit, footwell on when when driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TUGGERS

Car
ml350
Sorry to post the same question but having no luck in the interior section.

I swapped out the complete interior bulb set for LED'S on a 2009 ml350, and i now have noticed the footwell lights both front and rear stay on but dimmed slightly when driving.. is this normal??

Darren

Did the same with the CLS and mine stay on when the doors are closed , all-be-it not as bright.

There must be a residual current knocking about in the lighting circuit , not enough to illuminate a filament bulb but enough to spark up an LED.

I quite like it actually as it gives the interior a degree of ambient lighting , if it was much brighter it would be an issue.

Kenny

Surely this is ambient lighting...which is on all the time.

Surely this is ambient lighting...which is on all the time.

There is no footwell ambient lighting on the W219 , but there is now since i fitted the LED`s :D

The footwell and overhead lights only come on when it is dark and a door is opened , the footwell lights used go off when the doors are closed but the overhead lights remain on at a level pre-set from a menu on the display.

Kenny

mines a w164 buddy, is there ambient footwell lighting on this?

mines a w164 buddy, is there ambient footwell lighting on this?

On my 2010 CLS the only ambient lighting is the overhead ones , the intensity is controlled via a menu on the instruments.

If yours didnt come on before fitting the LED`s then i would imagine that you dont have ambient lighting feature in the footwells.

Since fitting the LED`s i now have the same as you , a slight glow when the doors are closed. Possibly due to some residual current floating around the circuit.

Kenny

Did the same with the CLS and mine stay on when the doors are closed , all-be-it not as bright.

There must be a residual current knocking about in the lighting circuit , not enough to illuminate a filament bulb but enough to spark up an LED.

I quite like it actually as it gives the interior a degree of ambient lighting , if it was much brighter it would be an issue.

Kenny

i was wondering if it was the mood / ambeint lighting but not noticale with the oem bulbs?

On my 2010 CLS the only ambient lighting is the overhead ones , the intensity is controlled via a menu on the instruments.

If yours didnt come on before fitting the LED`s then i would imagine that you dont have ambient lighting feature in the footwells.

Since fitting the LED`s i now have the same as you , a slight glow when the doors are closed. Possibly due to some residual current floating around the circuit.

Kenny

hmm. i have no overhead lights on when driving, maybe its different for the m class? maybe ill have to replace one standard bulb and see if it lights up when driving i guess that will tell me what its suppose to do :)

hmm. i have no overhead lights on when driving

Mine only illuminate when it is dark and the auto headlights come on , there is an ambient lighting menu in the cluster with a 1 --> 5 adjustable range.

It may only be available with the Auto headlight function ??

Kenny

Mine only illuminate when it is dark and the auto headlights come on , there is an ambient lighting menu in the cluster with a 1 --> 5 adjustable range.

It may only be available with the Auto headlight function ??

Kenny

Yeah mine also only come on when the headlights are on.

I don't have the ambient adjustment in any menu or sub menu.

You hunk I'm gonna have to replace one bulb with one and see what it does. Or wait for another w164 driver to chip in lol.

Get a room you two :)

I have a W164, I'll take a look whether there's ambient lighting next time I drive it.

Get a room you two :)

I have a W164, I'll take a look whether there's ambient lighting next time I drive it.

That would be great buddy :) i suspect you may have to get your head down there though lol, not sure how bright the oem bulbs are once the door is shut, but yah be great for another ml driver to see what theres does :)

thanks

SOLVED!

Put in the own incandescent bulb and tried it in both the passenger rear and passenger front foot wells and yes the footwell lights is lit when the lights are on. It's just dimmed and so dim that you really really have to look for it the leds are obviously so much brighter so it's so much more noticeable.

I've angled the leds bulbs so that the light is not at 100% strength through the plastic cover and there is now a nice noticeable but not distracting white glow from the footwells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom