• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Lets see your AMGs

F4pmAMIh.jpg

1st thing I would have to change but its still a stunning car 🤩
TBH, I didn’t really care for the wheels when seeing them in the pictures, but after collecting the car and living with it for a couple of months I really like them now. I think they suit the car and paint perfectly.
And a bonus is they are easiest wheels to clean that I’ve ever had.

Very nice - I am about 3 weeks in and havent really had a chance to drive mine (other than when collecting it up the motorway) its been so cold - have sat in it a lot though lol
Get some winter tyres in it and get out there on the road 👍🏻

Very nice - I am about 3 weeks in and havent really had a chance to drive mine (other than when collecting it up the motorway) its been so cold - have sat in it a lot though lol
I've had mine since the beginning of December, but I was out of the country for 4 weeks over Christmas and New year. I've managed to put over 400 miles on it in rain and ice conditions (still on summer tyres)............why not?

I've had mine since the beginning of December, but I was out of the country for 4 weeks over Christmas and New year. I've managed to put over 400 miles on it in rain and ice conditions (still on summer tyres)............why not?
Cracking of the tyres - Michelins on mine are apparently not even to be rolled below 20 degrees due to risk of damage
Its a first for me tbf and usually 100% agree - still commuting on 2 wheels

Correction- see below re temp specifics

Last edited:
Cracking of the tyres - Michelins on mine are apparently not even to be rolled below zero degrees due to risk of damage
That's a first on me too. Obviously it's not ideal, but I'm not sure they 'shouldn't' be used.
Commuting on 2 wheels 👍🏼
Spring can’t come soon enough.

That's a first on me too. Obviously it's not ideal, but I'm not sure they 'shouldn't' be used.
Commuting on 2 wheels 👍🏼
Spring can’t come soon enough.
I think it's a bit crazy to be honest; I've always had Pirelli and never seen any really specific advice in connection with this other than the general 'less grip below 7°' which is just common sense. Always try to avoid salted roads particularly if wet but otherwise very happy to drive my 'nice car' when it's cold and to not take too many liberties with the power - inc in snow. I've got Super Sport on mine currently and will be having a good think when it comes to changing them because I think it's a restriction too far - it's a joy driving on a cold frosty winter's morning with the roof down.

I was going to take it to the Lake District weekend before last but it was -5° so I just didn't risk it. I am planning driving it this weekend though maybe tomorrow if I can get the day off

Specifics are that recommend not to be driven below 40°F and absolutely must not be rolled/inflated/deflated below 20°F

I did find it on Michelin itself but can't find it just now but I did just find the following –

Michelin spokesman Tom Sullivan notes that while there is no direct impact to warranty when driving at any temperature, the company did issue a technical bulletin that contains recommendations regarding the use of summer tires in cold weather:

At tire temperatures below 20F (-7°C) Michelin UHP Sport Summer tires may develop surface cracks in the upper sidewall and tread area if flexed. Do not use, roll, or drop MICHELIN UHP Sport Summer tires with temperatures below 20°F (-7°C). If the tires have been cooled to 20°F (-7°C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40°F (5°C) before being installed or moving a vehicle on which they are installed. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use after exposure to temperatures below 20°F (-7°C).

The spokesperson later confirmed to The Drive that weather-related cracking would indicate that the tires were flexed in inadvisable conditions and would be considered improperly used, thus rendering the tires unwarrantable in most scenarios.

Michelin's official warranty documentation does not contain this verbatim. However, it states that tires will not be warranted should they experience weather cracking. A representative from Michelin's call center expanded on the warranty, stating that the PS4S should not be used under 43 degrees.

Last edited:
Cracking of the tyres - Michelins on mine are apparently not even to be rolled below zero degrees due to risk of damage
Which tyres do you have fitted at the moment, Pilot Sport Cup 2?

Most people are oblivious to the fact that very high performance tyres can be permanently damaged by using them in conditions which are too cold.

For example Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres shouldn’t even be stored at temperatures below 7 deg-C, because as you mention, they crack!

I've got Super Sport on mine currently and will be having a good think when it comes to changing them because I think it's a restriction too far - it's a joy driving on a cold frosty winter's morning with the roof down.
You won’t believe the difference on a set of quality winter tyres - there will be a more noticeable positive difference for you car than the vast majority, and especially in cold frosty mornings.

Which model is yours? Pirelli Sottozero are available in sizes suitable for both 11 and 12 inch rear wheels. Pop them on at the end of September and they’ll already perform better than MPSC2 or even MPSS.

Which tyres do you have fitted at the moment, Pilot Sport Cup 2?

Most people are oblivious to the fact that very high performance tyres can be permanently damaged by using them in conditions which are too cold.

For example Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres shouldn’t even be stored at temperatures below 7 deg-C, because as you mention, they crack!
No – just plain super sports - I didnt know at all - only came across it when googling winter tyre sizes
Tbh not bothered about lack of grip - I have a right foot I can still just about control at my age - just dont fancy prematurely forking out for 4 x new tyres!

No – just plain super sports - I didnt know at all - only came across it when googling winter tyre sizes
Tbh not bothered about lack of grip - I have a right foot I can still just about control at my age - just dont fancy prematurely forking out for 4 x new tyres!
They wonnt just transform traction when accelerating at slow speeds, they’ll transform traction when accelerating at high speeds, and braking and steering grip at all speeds.

Whereabouts are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom