Limp Mode after changing to solid flywheel W638

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolzy

Car
Vito 110 CDI W638 2003
Hi. A week ago, my local garage replaced the dual mass flywheel with a solid flywheel whilst fitting a new clutch and slave cylinder in my 2003 W638 Vito van. It was in a bad way and they recommended going to a solid one.
THE PROBLEM: I collected the van, drove about 500m and it went into limp mode! I took it back to the garage. A couple of days later they said it was ready to collect again. The mechanic told me I needed a new EGR valve so as a temporary fix he put a 'plate' in the middle section of the EGR valve and said that would work until the EGR valve was replaced! This all seemed odd to me as the engine was running great before the clutch went. He said it wasn't anything they did whilst fitting the clutch etc. I was reluctant to leave it with them again, so I drove it home for further checks but I still have the problem!
TO HELP YOU PROVIDE AN ANSWER (please), I can tell you that I have checked that all tubes, hoses and wires around the EGR valve are connected correctly. I have removed, cleaned and vacuum tested the EGR valve. I have removed the 'plate'. I have tried plugging the vacuum pipe where it goes onto the EGR valve. I have replaced the clutch switch. Usually, she revs above 3000rpm when I first start her up but when I get into 3rd or 4th gear the limp mode kicks in and she won't go above 3000rpm. If I switch off and restart, sometimes it clears the fault but not for long.
I would welcome any advise on pin-pointing/fixing this fault ASAP, please.

I believe there were 2. One for the EGR valve and the other was for the booster. I don't have the numbers, sorry.

The only way to progress this is to know why the engine management system is going into limp mode, which means knowing the fault codes.
Have it plugged into Star Diagnosis.

However, its a shame you've touched the garage's work because it makes it harder to say "this is your fault, fix it" - although others (more familiar with mechanical stuff) can comment further on this

Richard

It's just a thought, but does the replacement flywheel have the correct widget for the crankshaft position sensor?

It's just a thought, but does the replacement flywheel have the correct widget for the crankshaft position sensor?

Good Point, thank you - I don't know the answer but I will find out tomorrow. It was supplied as a 'replacement' for the dual mass version so it should have the correct widget! If it was missing, would it cause the symptoms I have outlined cos sometimes it does rev normally?

ALSO, FYI: I can't hear the turbo 'whistle' anymore either.

Usually if you have a issue after the car is worked on its down to whatever was done/replaced.

Incorrect amount of teeth on the flywheel/ring gear wrong diameter etc etc, i dont know the set up on year car. I had issues before when i changed fitted a obd1 flywheel to a obd2 car as the profile of the teeth/air gap was wrong.

I believe there were 2. One for the EGR valve and the other was for the booster. I don't have the numbers, sorry.

booster or boost pressure ? Booster might just be the booster heater but the boost sensor and lack of whooosh suggest maybe the turbo is not working as it should. check the pipes to the wastegate and check it generally for movement etc. also check along the turbo pipes for leaks like to the intercooler.

booster or boost pressure ? Booster might just be the booster heater but the boost sensor and lack of whooosh suggest maybe the turbo is not working as it should. check the pipes to the wastegate and check it generally for movement etc. also check along the turbo pipes for leaks like to the intercooler.

Hi Danny and thank you for the above. I'm referring to the Boost Sensor (it is connected to the EGR valve by a vacuum tube). If the fault is in one of the areas you suggest I check, could this have happened when the gearbox was removed and would this cause the ECU to put the engine in limp mode?

Last edited:
Tough question and a bit hard to answer. If its a boost error then you need to be looking at all things turbo related. i.e. the big pipes on the high pressure side of the turbo through to intake manifold. Impossible to say if its related until you find the cause. I would expect it is something disturbed but i would not be surprised if it was a random failure. Check the vac pipes underneath as well behind the drivers wheel on the chassis,close to the alternator

Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system - malfunction Wiring, connectors, hoses, intake leak, EGR solenoid, MAF sensor

P1403 is an EGR fault code. Either a faulty unit or valve, have all conections to the EGR been checked?

GOOD NEWS AT LAST
A big thank you to everyone who responded to my plea for help. I'm pretty sure I've fixed it now :)
I got underneath, had a good look around and found that the thin black vacuum hose running from the turbo actuator valve (?) wasn't connected at the other end (I believe it's called a solenoid, located just above the steering rack on the driver side).
Anyway, I refitted it and so far it seems to have done the trick, she's running great again.

Thats the beauty ! Is the error code gone ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom