Lloyds Refinishers Plymouth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tudu

MB Enthusiast
Car
05 C200K Sport Edition (Kleemann)
Met Colin Lloyds today was working (detailing) a Black CLK 55, looked immaculate. Showed me around the bodyshop etc i was well impressed so much so that i will be letting him respray my bonnet and side wings due to stone chips later in the year. Seemed reasonable price and works on all prestige motors there were a number of MB and other quality cars there so has a good reputation.

i will be letting him respray my bonnet and side wings due to stone chips later in the year. Seemed reasonable price

Would you mind me being cheeky and asking what sort of ball park price this would be?

That's very cheap. Normally a bonnet and wings would be about £600.

Things are cheaper down here, thats why I ended up down here.

V70 front bumper respray off the car £70, 129 one front wing re spray £100. Golf rear door and rear 1/4 panel £170. Toyota Pirus all four corners £160

That's very cheap. Normally a bonnet and wings would be about £600.

Being an ex-bodyworker and paint sprayer i think thats pretty reasonable given the competiveness of getting and keeping business right now. There are no doubt some finishing shops that charge what they want but i always go on the quality of work seen, the facilities and the enthusiasm of the owner. Those 3 things will get my business every time.

My only concern would be how much time they spent prepping the surface. Countless times I've seen the paint sink after a few weeks and it's evident they've just blown over the stone chips.

My only concern would be how much time they spent prepping the surface. Countless times I've seen the paint sink after a few weeks and it's evident they've just blown over the stone chips.

The work is done well, with my local one I can put up some pics of the work being done. He is always full of Astons, Bentlys and others.

You might think that you are fussy, well I might be worse

I'm obsessive compulsive, Malcolm ;):D.

I've started to notice a few chips on the bonnet, plus the odd scratch here and there (supermarket/public car parks, grrrrrr:mad: ) and was thinking of getting them touched up.
However after seeing this post, would you say that it's better to get a respray of the bonnet and pannels?

That depends on how old the car is and whether it's likely to rust as your Mobilo warranty will be invalid for these areas if not done by a MB approved bodyshop.

I've started to notice a few chips on the bonnet, plus the odd scratch here and there (supermarket/public car parks, grrrrrr:mad: ) and was thinking of getting them touched up.
However after seeing this post, would you say that it's better to get a respray of the bonnet and pannels?

This depends on the nature of the chips and the size of them and how long they have been left un treated. Small chips are easy to do if caught in the early stages where DIY can stop them from rusting and growing. the hardest part on touching up is that the stone chip mark has sharp vertical edges, when panels are resprayed these chips ar sanded down so the the edges are feathered, the reason being is that paint shrinks as it dries, so not only does it sink down, it also pulls back from the sharp vertical edge. the paint shrinks due to the solvents that enable you to apply it dry out. when doing a small chip by pressing with you finger helps to spread the paint in it drying stages, this also has a side effect that in the case of metalics it will restore the paint to the correct colour, if you do not do this then it will always appear too dark.
Though all of this is easier said than done if you have never done it before

see this thread if any doubts on how the do it down here

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=47827&highlight=210+rust

This depends on the nature of the chips and the size of them and how long they have been left un treated. Small chips are easy to do if caught in the early stages where DIY can stop them from rusting and growing. the hardest part on touching up is that the stone chip mark has sharp vertical edges, when panels are resprayed these chips ar sanded down so the the edges are feathered, the reason being is that paint shrinks as it dries, so not only does it sink down, it also pulls back from the sharp vertical edge. the paint shrinks due to the solvents that enable you to apply it dry out. when doing a small chip by pressing with you finger helps to spread the paint in it drying stages, this also has a side effect that in the case of metalics it will restore the paint to the correct colour, if you do not do this then it will always appear too dark.
Though all of this is easier said than done if you have never done it before

see this thread if any doubts on how the do it down here

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=47827&highlight=210+rust

Live and learn, I never knew paint shrunk as it dried!
Leave it to the experts I say, I'm pretty much all thumbs when it comes to stuff like that.
None of the chips seem too bad, no signs of rust so far, although several of them seem to be down to the metal. Only really noticable when the car is cleaned.

That depends on how old the car is and whether it's likely to rust as your Mobilo warranty will be invalid for these areas if not done by a MB approved bodyshop.

Interesting point, the car is a late 2003 model. Didn't realise that a few stone chips could impact the Mobilo. All the more reason to get them done sooner rather than later.

Blimey £250 seems superb value to me too. Would be worth driving to Plymouth for a price like that if their workmanship is as good as it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom