London ULEZ stops Mercedes W202 entering in 2023.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm assuming you've checked on tfl's website to be certain? I was faced with getting rid of my old banger (w203, 2003 c240) for this reason but was rather surprised that it was fully compliant when I checked

I'm assuming you've checked on tfl's website to be certain? I was faced with getting rid of my old banger (w203, 2003 c240) for this reason but was rather surprised that it was fully compliant when I checked

Officially all 2005 and later petrol cars are compliant, but in practice most petrol cars were already compliant 2-3 years earlier.

My 2006 5.4 litre V8 petrol AMG is ULEZ compliant . If I was daft enough to drive through central London I doubt I would get 15 Mpg out of it , I understand that the muck that comes out of the quad exhausts is cleaner than the muck that comes out of a much smaller Diesel engine of the same vintage . Who knew ? :doh:

My 2002, 320 CLK is ULEZ Compliant My current car, a v6 2.8 Insignia VXR is euro 6 but still almost £700 year on road tax. So clean enough to drive anywhere but dirty enough to warrant high road tax.

My 2002, 320 CLK is ULEZ Compliant My current car, a v6 2.8 Insignia VXR is euro 6 but still almost £700 year on road tax. So clean enough to drive anywhere but dirty enough to warrant high road tax.
Not dirty enough.....but high enough in carbon. ULEZ has nothing to do with how much you are destroying the planet (that's VED and why you pay more) and everything to do with trying (and no doubt failing) to improve London's already pretty good air quality.

Not dirty enough.....but high enough in carbon. ULEZ has nothing to do with how much you are destroying the planet (that's VED and why you pay more) and everything to do with trying (and no doubt failing) to improve London's already pretty good air quality.
Where’s the double like button for this ^^. I see lots of comments on Facebook and the like that proves that people don’t understand the difference, but don’t expect such naivety on motoring forums.

As above.

We're being taxed all day, ever day.

VED taxes CO2 emissions (good for the planet).

ULEZ taxes NOx emissions (good for people's lungs)

Inheritance Tax taxes dead people (good for the Chancellor)

Income Tax taxes income (good for people who don't work and live at the expense of the taxpayer)

National Insurance Contribution is technically an insurance plan but practically a tax (good for people who retired without a Pension Fund)

Then there's alcohol duty, tobacco duty, fuel duty..... need I go on?

My 2003 SL500 is ULEZ compliant! However it is not clean air compliant in my neighbouring city of Bristol .... Although my friends CL5.4 AMG 2004 IS compliant in Bristol ..... Huh!

Where’s the double like button for this ^^. I see lots of comments on Facebook and the like that proves that people don’t understand the difference, but don’t expect such naivety on motoring forums.
I should have read the entire post before hastily liking and commenting. I was so pleased to see someone reminding the misinformed that there's a difference in the emissions being addressed by VED and ULEZ that I stopped reading at that point.

I can't agree that ULEZ is "everything to do with trying (and no doubt failing) to improve London's already pretty good air quality", because I don't know whether or not that's true. The air quality measurements that I see on t'Internet comparing cities around the world (such as AQI) give the impression that London's air is "good". What they're doing is taking an average over every 24 hour period and seven day week. However very many other more local and detailed sources tell us that the air quality is bad (at least twice the WHO limit) at certain times of the day and week. Basically, looking at things from different angles give very different views.

If, as we're told, London's air is bad for us at busy times of the day - isn't ULEZ a good thing for trying to make it better?

This question was raised somewhere at the beginning of this thread..... :D
But not answered it seems. Unless my biased blinkers only managed to read objections.

I would be wary of investing any serious money into avoiding the charges because it will be a short term measure. Once the precedent has been set for paying TfL to use the roads and cameras are everywhere, they have effectively got away with monetising London’s roads. They can set any charges they want from that point forward. Within a few years everyone will end up paying.

The intention is not to get a few old cars off the road, it goes WAY beyond that.
They are only keeping a small number of cars out of their local areas until they become 40 years old and qualify for exemption ; here in Scotland , LEZ exemption starts at 30 years old , so in a few months I can again drive my W124 into Glasgow ( unlike in england , the statutory instrument does NOT state the car has to be a certain age from the 1st of january that year , so I can drive my car into Glasgow on its 30th birthday , which is 1st August next year ) .

I think , to celebrate London's ULEZ , someone should organise a steam traction engine rally in London ; most such machines are circa 100 years old , and thus exempt , plus I doubt that any of Khan's minions thought to legislate against steam powered vehicles . True they mostly burn coal , and belch out black smoke as well as steam , but they are a wonderful sight ( and smell ) and the sound of dozens of steam whistles going off as they parade through Westminster would stir the heart of any onlooker . How much damage would a steamroller suffer if it squished a cyclist or just stop oil protestor ? NONE AT ALL !!!

VED is only emissions based for cars much newer than mine ; I just pay a flat rate , for now , and will eventually be exempt from that tax as well .

A nice , environmentally friendly 300SEL 6.3 would be exempt ; as would a 450SEL ; early W126 also qualify ; W124 not too far off either , introduced in 1986 so just a couple of years off . R107 also would work , or if you can afford a Pagoda , take your pick . I know of someone who bought a Silver Shadow for this reason also . What about an Audi Quattro , introduced 1980 ? There is no shortage of desirable machines which are exempt from ULEZ , VED and MOT ; and cheaper to buy than the most mundane new car . Even things like Mk 1 Golfs , early Polos , but have you seen the prices of air-cooled beetles ? ,Ford Fiestas , Granadas etc ; just look at anything at least 40 years old , but don't be slow - I read that prices of Classic Cars are on the rise in southern England as people are cottoning on that they are ULEZ exempt . Even things like pre Defender Land Rovers .
lol believe me classic car prices in any part of England are not on the rise, but do tell, where did you read such rubbish? No link, no believe😉 you do seem to have quite a reading list eh…..

lol believe me classic car prices in any part of England are not on the rise, but do tell, where did you read such rubbish? No link, no believe😉 you do seem to have quite a reading list eh…..
Is your statement based on the number of unsold cars at classic car auctions?

From my observations cars that are selling are acheiving good prices currently. The example below - a w124 300e with 80k, flat paint, dubious alloys but a decent private plate included. Acheived £6776 on August 2nd 2023. Strong money imho but i would also be most appreciative if you would let me know where you think you can buy cheap youngtimer & oldtimer classics currently in the UK?

Last edited:
I think it's unlikely that anyone will pay a premium for a restored classic car, only to avoid the £12.50 daily charge, instead of just buying any 15-20 years old petrol car (many knocking about for under a grand). In fact, this sounds to me more like Daily Mail clickbait....

I think it's unlikely that anyone will pay a premium for a restored classic car, only to avoid the £12.50 daily charge, instead of just buying any 15-20 years old petrol car (many knocking about for under a grand). In fact, this sounds to me more like Daily Mail clickbait....
Indeed unlikely someone would buy a restored? classic car just to avoid Khan's £12.50 right to drive in his fiefdom levy. More likely classic buyers do so to get the benefit of low insurance costs at a point in time where insurance costs are soaring, zero road tax, if +40 yrs old, at a point in time when road tax costs are soaring, no MOT required and zero depreciation and/or the potential to own an appreciating asset.

Lack of depreciation being the main benefit of course. A breath of fresh air in a car market when the latest and greatest of our time appear to suffer from horrific depreciation. Take this Cat S Porsche's Taycan 4c EV. A £100,000 + car that is salvaged because it has a scuffed/cracked bumper and now will not run (pyro fuse?). Current highest bid £21,700. Retail £77,815 (bad enough).

Classic cars are an attractive alternative to this nonsense.

As for the sub £1000 compliant petrol car i would imagine they now start at £2000 thanks to Khan's magic money ££££ tree giveaway.

Last edited:
Read it a few days ago . but I think someone else on here linked to it on one of the other ULEZ threads .

Rolls Shadows have certainly dropped , a year or so back a decent one was worth 70 grand all day long , now they can be bargain basement buys .

Other car values remain pretty solid ; one friend just had his E Type valued for insurance , as did another for his Healey 3000 and MGA , all holding up well .

What shocked me most recently was the prices of air cooled Beetles now ; hard to get a decent one under 10 grand , and cars I'd have paid a few hundred for 30 years ago now 30 grand or more !!!!

W124 or W201 cars are no longer £500 bargains either , you need a good few grand to get a decent one ; I paid £4K for mine last november , and while it was the nicest which I travelled from Scotland down to Hampshire for , it was far from the most expensive one for sale .

If, as we're told, London's air is bad for us at busy times of the day - isn't ULEZ a good thing for trying to make it better?
The big issue is that London is a big place.

I agreed with the initial ULEZ which was the city and central London. The next one I was so so with but the new extension which in many places goes out to the M25 is taking the ‘dirty London air’ a bit far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom