M Class - what should i look out for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andimids

Car
2001 CLK 230 Kompressor
hi guys
Had my CLK for a couple of years now and love her to bits - but marriage and inherited family has dictated that I need something a bit bigger and 4 doors and a boot to lug dogs round in.
So been looking at MLs - on a budget as I want to keep the CLK - so got abut £2 - £2.5 k = to play with
I know I'm not going to get anything that new - so any points that I need to look out for on older models.
having a quick look about - a 270 diesel might suit requirements, any advice or thoughts would be welcome as Ive never had a 4 wheel drive before
regards
Andy

The 270 cdi engine is probably one of the best diesels MB produced.

The early ML model all suffered from rust, so check arches front and rear, door and tailgate bottoms as well as the cills.

I've had two W163 - the later and facelifted W163 is certainly better than the early one. Can be distinguished by high beam alongside headlight in main unit, fog light in bumper, while original has fog light integrated into main headlight.

My first was a 270 diesel, the second a 350 petrol. Surprisingly little difference in mpg - at least in my case - diesel gave me 29mpg, petrol 24mpg. I guess because the diesel was working hard.

Well for that money you will have to look round carefully to find one with sensible mileage which has been well looked after I will keep my eyes open around here sometimes you get a bereavement sale,it is like gods waiting room around here.

facelift w163 270 cdi good and also if u can get them panoramic roof seven seater (fitted) cheap than add on later.

beware of dogs as they are expensive to fix

We picked up a 2003 ML350 (3.7 petrol) last year 80k miles and like new (a real credit to the previous owner).

Paid £3,800 and I have to say it's been brilliant - no issues at all one year later.

Go petrol, your money will get you a better car.

We had a 270 diesel years ago, it had a hard life, very high miles and mostly towing.
It cost a fortune to run, always regretted not getting a big petrol one back then.

interesting on the petrol/diesel choice - always though the diesel ,might have been cheaper to run
mind you never had a diesel before either - always been a petrol man - thought the diesel was the sensible choice

I had a 270 , it was constantly going wrong, though that said I would buy one again as I think my one was a lemon and had a hard life.
There was a petrol 320 for sale beside me recently for little money and it was converted to LPG

I had a 270 , it was constantly going wrong, though that said I would buy one again as I think my one was a lemon and had a hard life.
There was a petrol 320 for sale beside me recently for little money and it was converted to LPG

be careful lpg can go wrong and cause misfire double and triple check on such cars

not sure if lpg is really the way i want to go - availability and reliability issues-
as i say always been a petrol man - just thought the diesel might be better economy wise - but a virgin as far as diesel and 4 wheel drive is concerned -
had an e 320 before the clk and liked the engine in that - so might consider the petrol route - just need something big, four doors and boot for dogs and go almost anywhere and new wife likes a high driving position - hence looking at MLs
if any one spots a reasonable one near them I'm quite prepared to travel to find the right one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom