• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mapping Warranty & MB Resets

Dax151

Car
AMG C63
Hi All, I've got a couple of questions around mapping and wonder if anyone knows the answers. I've got a 2016 W205 C63 and am look at maybe a stage 1 or 2 remap, I did buy it from MB a few months ago so have the 2 year AMG warranty....so I have 2 questions:

1. Will the remap cause a problem for the warranty (my guess would be yes).
2. At the last "A" service there were definitely some ECU updates....would these remove my mapping? (again my guess would be yes).

So I suppose that means I would be at the mercy of MB to honour any warranty work and also potentially have to get the car remapped after any service?

Thanks

MSL offer the MyGenius device which stores your original ecu profile leaving you the option to swap between the two. DMS offer the option to remove and reinstall for serving and warranty work as many times as required as a part of thier package. This can be at thier site in Southampton or at your home albeit you'd need to fall in with thier availability.

I do not believe ECU updates would remove the map however as much as any tuner will suggest thier software/map is not traceable I'd still take that which a pinch of salt, granted if there was a small fault, with small cost to the dealer they probably wouldn't check that deep into it, yet if the engine or gearbox ate itself and the bill would be into the many thousands I'm sure they'd be looking deeper and would no doubt find the ECU or TCU map had been changed.

Go in eyes open, you mod or tweak then expect to pick up any associated costs. If you don't want to pay then don't play 👍

MSL offer the MyGenius device which stores your original ecu profile leaving you the option to swap between the two. DMS offer the option to remove and reinstall for serving and warranty work as many times as required as a part of thier package. This can be at thier site in Southampton or at your home albeit you'd need to fall in with thier availability.

I do not believe ECU updates would remove the map however as much as any tuner will suggest thier software/map is not traceable I'd still take that which a pinch of salt, granted if there was a small fault, with small cost to the dealer they probably wouldn't check that deep into it, yet if the engine or gearbox ate itself and the bill would be into the many thousands I'm sure they'd be looking deeper and would no doubt find the ECU or TCU map had been changed.

Go in eyes open, you mod or tweak then expect to pick up any associated costs. If you don't want to pay then don't play 👍
cheers.....I might leave it stock until after the warranty is up....it's not like it needs the extra power!!!

I’d be extremely surprised if MB don’t have a way of checking the car has been mapped (and flashed back to stock) previously

There will be a flash counter on the ECU - I would be wary whether or not the tuners have a way of truely resetting or modifying it - all MB have to do is check how many times the ECU has been flashed vs how many are expected given the cars history…

Also FWIW stage 2 usually comprises of a downpipe and other supporting mods, so they’d certainly be able to tell from that

..it's not like it needs the extra power!!!
So why consider it?

If you decide to go ahead then check with your Insurance company first. Some refuse to cover modified cars, some will up to a limit in terms of power gains.

One of the first things they check after an accident is evidence of changes from standard, especially in cars such as yours.

The ecu upgrade you just had WOULD of removed the map as for warranty you answered your own question as for bragging rights in the pub (BHP figures) the car doesn't need anymore but we all like more😎 I'd wait till the warranty has finished and go for it 👍

We're all power hungry, I've mapped more cars then I've left stock yet in the real world it would be unlikely that I'd be able to extract all the power from a stock map especially on the roads we drive on let alone on a track.

With that said however I've found that by mapping the range of power is more responsive within every day driving conditions and is why I tend to do it.

Rather spending money on a map, the aim is to book in for some open pit lane events and learn how to get the most out of the current set up. Once the tyres are due to be replaced I'll be having a decent set of tyres (mine has P Zero's so they need to go) and get some more track time. Other option is to fit a proper LSD such as Quaife or Wavetrac and repeat the above yet they're not cheap so the tyres will be done first l.

That's the route I'll be going, the E63 has plenty enough power for now, plus come re sale I think it'll be harder to sell on.

1. If there a major engine fault that is obviously caused by poor tuning, then MB have been known to carry out further investigation into the mapping etc. As the car reaches a certain age, the cost to do this vs just accepting the warranty claim gets smaller. They can definitely tell, but whether they do anything about it, is another story. If this is an aftermarket warranty company then I think they would push harder.
2. Yes, if there is a new engine ecu software version out, it will wipe the map. However, the last new version was a while ago (on w205 C63) so I'd be suprised if another one came out. I would be carefull flashing it back with an aftermarket unit as above, as there may be interactions with other ECU's that rely on updated Engine ECU (like gearbox ecu etc) and may cause odd behaviour.

So why consider it?

If you decide to go ahead then check with your Insurance company first. Some refuse to cover modified cars, some will up to a limit in terms of power gains.

One of the first things they check after an accident is evidence of changes from standard, especially in cars such as yours.
I'm only considering because I originally wanted to buy an C63s but they have a hefty premium and as far as I can tell it's really just the same power increase as a stage 1 along with bucket seats and red brake calipers, but to be fair I'll probably leave it until after the warranty runs out and then take my chances.

My last update was in late dec 2022 I put a post on here letting other w205 c63 owners to know that it WOULD wipe the map
Thanks, I like the idea of it but I'll leave it stock at least until the warranty has run out.

1. If there a major engine fault that is obviously caused by poor tuning, then MB have been known to carry out further investigation into the mapping etc. As the car reaches a certain age, the cost to do this vs just accepting the warranty claim gets smaller. They can definitely tell, but whether they do anything about it, is another story. If this is an aftermarket warranty company then I think they would push harder.
2. Yes, if there is a new engine ecu software version out, it will wipe the map. However, the last new version was a while ago (on w205 C63) so I'd be suprised if another one came out. I would be carefull flashing it back with an aftermarket unit as above, as there may be interactions with other ECU's that rely on updated Engine ECU (like gearbox ecu etc) and may cause odd behaviour.
Thanks, I thought that would likely be the case so I'll leave it for now....I may never do it because it's not short on power as it is !

We're all power hungry, I've mapped more cars then I've left stock yet in the real world it would be unlikely that I'd be able to extract all the power from a stock map especially on the roads we drive on let alone on a track.

With that said however I've found that by mapping the range of power is more responsive within every day driving conditions and is why I tend to do it.

Rather spending money on a map, the aim is to book in for some open pit lane events and learn how to get the most out of the current set up. Once the tyres are due to be replaced I'll be having a decent set of tyres (mine has P Zero's so they need to go) and get some more track time. Other option is to fit a proper LSD such as Quaife or Wavetrac and repeat the above yet they're not cheap so the tyres will be done first l.

That's the route I'll be going, the E63 has plenty enough power for now, plus come re sale I think it'll be harder to sell on.
Thanks, I might do a couple of trackdays as I used to do loads of them on bikes...although I cringe at the cost of the consumables! If I go for the map I'll just wait out the warranty so I won't be crying if something happens and they kick my claim out!

The ecu upgrade you just had WOULD of removed the map as for warranty you answered your own question as for bragging rights in the pub (BHP figures) the car doesn't need anymore but we all like more😎 I'd wait till the warranty has finished and go for it 👍
thanks, exactly my plan

If you drive the non s then s version you wouldn't notice much difference at all if any for the normal person 🙂

Hi All, I've got a couple of questions around mapping and wonder if anyone knows the answers. I've got a 2016 W205 C63 and am look at maybe a stage 1 or 2 remap, I did buy it from MB a few months ago so have the 2 year AMG warranty....so I have 2 questions:

1. Will the remap cause a problem for the warranty (my guess would be yes).
2. At the last "A" service there were definitely some ECU updates....would these remove my mapping? (again my guess would be yes).

So I suppose that means I would be at the mercy of MB to honour any warranty work and also potentially have to get the car remapped after any service?

Thanks
Hey,

We may have a solution for you, please contact us directly on our Instagram or Facebook and we will discuss all the details with you.

Kind regards,

Raheel
Pure Tuning Ltd

I'm only considering because I originally wanted to buy an C63s but they have a hefty premium and as far as I can tell it's really just the same power increase as a stage 1 along with bucket seats and red brake calipers, but to be fair I'll probably leave it until after the warranty runs out and then take my chances.
You're partly right, but the S gets you more than you think:

Power up to ~ 503hp
Bigger brakes with red calipers (bronze for CCB's) (
Bucket seats
Active engine and gearbox mounts
Electronic LSD

For me, the S was a must, I mean why not? The price difference was negligible - at least when I bought mine in 2020.

Would I map it? Not in a chance, more than enough power for our roads in my opinion and its supremely driveable as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom