Mb 500sec

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteNewHere

Hi All,

Been a long time since I was last on here researching Mercedes Benz. Always had a soft spot for the big 80's Merc's but never got around to getting one.

However, I've just been offered a 500SEC for £1500 and I'm sorely tempted! It's silver, with a few patches of bubbling paintwork around the arches, but inside she's as clean as could be. Done 117kmiles, which I assume is nothing to a car like this and had a lot of money spent on her recently including new radiator and other stuff I cant remember.

I'd only use it as an occasional car (already have a modern daily driver and a old BMW Cab for the summer), so would insure it on a limited mileage policy (I'm old with no claims etc., so should be relatively cheap).

Anyway, down to the reason I'm posting on here. I'm looking for views on whether this is a worthwhile purchase or likely to be a money pit (already have too many of those!). I know the fuel costs would be high, but what about reliability? Are parts expensive?

What's your view on the 500SEC?

Mechanically they are pretty solid, the only common issue is valve stem seal failures which lead to blue smoke when pulling away from stop.

Bodywork - these can be absolute rust buckets so be careful. What looks like rotten arches could be inner sills, floors etc so best to check thoroughly.

At £1500 it does sound like its worth a punt though.

If it's in good condition mechanically and cosmetically (taking into account the rust you describe) then it's cheap as chips at £1,500.

500/560SEC is a dream weekend car for me :)

Many thanks for your advice and views. I'll give the car a good look over and let you know how I get on.

Jay - that's an incredible collection of vehicles you have there! Love that SEC you have - cant see the one I'm getting ever looking like that, but it's certainly a thing of beauty.

Quick question: I noticed the badges are missing off the bootlid of the one I've been looking at - are they easy to come by?

Badges might still be available from the dealers .

As for problems , I believe coupes are no different from saloons in that the Achilles' heel is rust beneath the parcel shelf due to leaking rear window seals .

The link below shows pics of this area in my two saloons . The rear screen on my 280SE is also starting to delaminate which is not uncommon , thankfully I have a spare glass in good condition .

http://www.MBClub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/104148-mb-paint-bodywork-5.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom