MB Industrial Engines?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
Can anyone help please ? A friend recently bought a Sangyong Korando 2.9 diesel for towing a caravan. The water pump has packed up. The engine is a MB but I am told it is an industrial (?) engine. It is not the same as any fitted to vans or cars. The 1st company supplied a pump same as one fitted to MB190 -2.5D- did not fit (cost £123.00 compared to MB's price of about £30) 2nd company is quoting a staggering £195 for the pump (the one for a turbo engine is over £240) Amounts like these are a high % of the cost of the Ssangyong ! Does anyone know which MB water pump will fit?
ps most pumps seem to fit onto the engine, it is the fit between pump and pulley that is the problem.

I am not sure if any MB pump will go straight on, My brother had a Musso and had the misfortune of a broken camshaft, tried several places like europarts but they all said the MB part was different.
It seems that while the engines are the same basic design they have small differences.
He bought a complete engine from a breaker as ssang yong replacement parts were unavailable then ( 5years ago)

got an engine number? OM602.123 or whatever? got any merc-ish part numbers off a bracket for example? look up the bracket, see what engine it was fitted to - see that pump....

AFAIK the SY unit is the 2.9L five cylinder direct injection unit as fitted to Sprinters and Euro E-class.

Surely a Daewoo dealer would be able to help as they took over SY a few years ago.

Water pump.

Hi,

I used to own a 1995 (M) ssangyong musso,I think it's the same 2.9 5 cyl
deisel (non turbo) as the korando.The water pump went on this & I managed to get it from stock from a local motor factors for under £60. The guy just checked up his parts book & as mentioned I think it is the same engine etc as in the sprinter vans.......

Good luck.

If you think about it, a water pump is ,well, just a water pump! Not exactly rocket science. The trouble is that most cars are equipped with bespoke pumps designe d to be driven off the engine.

But if stuck there is nothing to stop you replacing that with an electric pump apart from cost issues

http://www.mawsolutions.com/documents/ewpinfo.PDF

Over the next few years most engines will move to electric pumping because electronic control gives far more precise control over engine temperature.

Thank you all for your help. It turns out there are 2 types of water pump for a Korando- they were changed in/around 1998/99. Local motor factor came to rescue and actually sent both types of pump and the non 190 -2.5D one fitted. The local SS dealer produced a pump after 6 weeks. I am told this is quick- gearbox parts can take up to 13 weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom