• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Merc Turbo info (Garrett VNT CDI4 onwards)

w124coupe

Guys, leave now if techno stuff bores you.

I spent some time with a Garrett performance centre and had quite an enlightening chat about the current Garrett turbos and their issues.

This relates to the current crop with variable vane (VNT) technology operated by an electronic (i.e. non-vacuum) actuator - e.g. the one on my E280CDI etc.

Their experience is that the newer CDIs run so clean that failures are typically NOT due to fouling of the vane mechanism but are due to wear and tear in the electronic actuator resulting in loss of control of the position of the variable vanes.

The actuator cannot be replaced in the field and so a new turbo (£1,500 ish fitted) is the usual result with the actual turbo still mechanically fine.

Symptoms are some gentle power cycling under light load (think of a very slight kargaroo when on very light throttle) and then limp mode with a 2510-001 code (positioner signals fault). This code resets on engine off/on UNTIL 5 counts in one drive cycle - then it turns on CEL and needs STAR to reset. (2501-001 together with an over or under boost code, however, should direct you to all the usual candidates for over or under boost errors, many outside the turbo itself)

The actuator is a worm-drive motor with a PCM control circuit driven by the engine ECU.

At manufacture, the individual turbo has (I think) 20 vane-position settings programmed into the actuator, corresponding to 20 levels of increase in boost across the turbo - i.e. specific to THAT turbo. This calibration machine is NOT available to the field and so a new actuator (if it was available) can't be "tuned" to the old turbo.......a scrapyard actuator is therefore likely to result in over or under boost problems..

This all ensures that a relatively simple ECU map can be used to provide safe/predictable/progressive boost levels.....the ECU "talks" PCM (some models CAN) to the actuator.

So, over time, the worm drive motor wears, carbon from brushes is dusted around and eventually the feedback mechanism detects (a rotation sensor on the worm) that the worm has not moved accurately and quickly enough and so an error is thrown -> limp mode.

To check the fault:

Unclip the actuator arm (one circlip) and see if the vanes can be moved freely and without "sticky points across the full travel. If so, its not a vane problem.

Remove the actuator (2 bolts, the circlip and a connector) and check the wiring harness (its under the PCV pipe etc so it COULD be oiled up.....).

Take the top off the actuator (6 clips) and inspect the motor (leave the circuit board alone - its WAYYYY past any DIY soldering).

Chances are there will be brush carbon dusted around in there so liberally use isopropyl alcohol spray (Halfords contact cleaner) to hose the motor/brushes/comutator/work drive all clean (just think washing machine motor only smaller!). You can rotate the motor to clean it all as the electronics will "zero" it again when you turn on the ignition next.

Reassemble and test.

You will probably get a new life of 10s of thousands of miles out of the turbo but the motor might equally be beyond this spruce up from carbon damage or brushes/commutator too far gone......there are no spares and its assembled with no thought of sensible disassembly.

At least you will KNOW its time to cough up....

Discuss.....:)

Last edited:
This problem is a well know one. There is also another issue (I have yet to see for myself) that there is a component in the exhaust manifold that breaks up and damages the turbo beyond repair on the V6 CDI

This problem is a well know one. There is also another issue (I have yet to see for myself) that there is a component in the exhaust manifold that breaks up and damages the turbo beyond repair on the V6 CDI

Painful to condemn a whole turbo for a worn out little 12V electric motor though.....

with the help of this publication! I could correct the P0244 and P2510 code of faults that appeared and disappeared !

as a thanks and contribution ! I leave some additional information:

0) to access the actuator, first has to remove the connecting piece to the intercooler;

1) in case of damaged parts inside the Actuator (Hella 6NW 008 412 Garrett 712120 G-XXX where XXX is a specific number that corresponds to the internal parts used) these can be obtained from repair kit's easily on eBay;

2) make same pressure in jumpers to confirm if they rely are fixed and for welding can be performed, you have to scrape the pins so that the solder can join !;

3) as found no bulk in the gears, I chose to make only one dry cleaning with a brush !?

Best or Nothing !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom