Mercedes-Benz Guildford (Sandown Group) - Good Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I tried them for the 5 year service on my R231 SL.

price the same as from my usual MB dealer.

I tried them for the 5 year service on my R231 SL.

price the same as from my usual MB dealer.
I did the same last year, I asked for a price expecting them to be much cheaper than my usual main dealer on a 12 year old ML but there were much the same. It would have been the 120 mile round trip if there was a 40% discount.

That’s the details for their ‘Platinum’ scheme.

Not doubting either of you guys but I wonder who took the enquiry? I didn’t have to push for any discount, just mentioned the platinum program and once they’d priced it I asked about whether I could supply the oil which they were happy with, and they just removed the cost of the oil from the invoice (which on the basic A-service pretty much halved it)

MB Guildford were a good chunk lower than say MB Brooklands for me, even for a basic online quote from www.mymercedesservice.co.uk - and I don’t think that the online quote takes into consideration some of their published discounts - eg MOTs or reduction on parts etc.

Will be giving Guildford a call when it’s time for my service and hopefully will get a decent figure from them. I will supply my own oil too!

That’s the details for their ‘Platinum’ scheme.

Not doubting either of you guys but I wonder who took the enquiry? I didn’t have to push for any discount, just mentioned the platinum program and once they’d priced it I asked about whether I could supply the oil which they were happy with, and they just removed the cost of the oil from the invoice (which on the basic A-service pretty much halved it)

MB Guildford were a good chunk lower than say MB Brooklands for me, even for a basic online quote from www.mymercedesservice.co.uk - and I don’t think that the online quote takes into consideration some of their published discounts - eg MOTs or reduction on parts etc.

I asked for quote on line, someone phoned me. But I didn’t mention Platinum programme but I did say I had heard good things about their prices.

I have emailed for clarification.

I asked for quote on line, someone phoned me. But I didn’t mention Platinum programme but I did say I had heard good things about their prices ...
I mentioned it. Still no joy. 😕

I asked for quote on line, someone phoned me. But I didn’t mention Platinum programme but I did say I had heard good things about their prices.

I have emailed for clarification.

price originally quoted was Platinum programme price.

I found them super helpful when speaking to their sales.

Mine has been looked after by Brooklands but the costs are eye watering (I mean nearly £800 for an oil/filter change and brake fluid is taking the mick) and it pisses me off that after being charged for 8.5 litres of oil, within a couple of hundred miles I have to add a litre, only to find it then burns no oil until the next oil change when the same thing happens again. Clearly they fill the engine just over minimum but charge for a full sump worth! I realise this is better than them over filling it, but then at least charge for what is used!

I found them super helpful when speaking to their sales.

Mine has been looked after by Brooklands but the costs are eye watering (I mean nearly £800 for an oil/filter change and brake fluid is taking the mick) and it pisses me off that after being charged for 8.5 litres of oil, within a couple of hundred miles I have to add a litre, only to find it then burns no oil until the next oil change when the same thing happens again. Clearly they fill the engine just over minimum but charge for a full sump worth! I realise this is better than them over filling it, but then at least charge for what is used!
Surely more than just an oil/filter change and brake fluid for £800? :)

But yes, that’s another advantage of supplying your own oil if you can - give them two full 5L cans for the service and see how much you get back. I think they just charge for a fixed volume of oil, they won’t know the exact amount filled by the workshop guys. And you’ll have the remainder of that 10L (at least 1.5L of course!) for top ups if/when required :thumb:

No that's it.

Oil/filter and air filter change was £382.37 on it's own (what they call an A minus service). Of course you get the safety check but that's all. The brake fluid takes it to £748.90 (just found my diary note!)

How can that be so? They don’t charge £300+ to replace the brake fluid?

No that's it.

Oil/filter and air filter change was £382.37 on it's own (what they call an A minus service). Of course you get the safety check but that's all. The brake fluid takes it to £748.90 (just found my diary note!)

still £360 to change brake fluid !!

That's what I was quoted, so I just went with the A as mine has done naff all mileage (7,900 miles and had 3 lots of oil). I wasn't prepared to pay that much, complete piss take in my book.

Nevertheless, an oil and filter change for £380+ is equally ludicrous but while under warranty etc I just paid it.

Doesn’t add up to me. Service A plus a cabin filter on my GL63 was £133 inc VAT with me supplying the oil. The oil would have been £100ish extra otherwise but certainly sub-£300 all in.

Ive never heard of any MB dealer charging £300+ just to replace the brake fluid - surely some confusion here?

ilter and air filter change was £382.37 on it's own (what they call an A minus service). Of course you get the safety check but that's all. The brake fluid takes it to £748.90 (just found my diary note!)
Nevertheless, an oil and filter change for £380+ is equally ludicrous but while under warranty etc I just paid it.

That's a rip off and I would query it and review the itemised invoice breakdown.

I agree, it's all there, I'll dig out the invoice tonight if I remember. My local was £320 for the same thing.

Surely more than just an oil/filter change and brake fluid for £800? :)

This ^

A service isn't just replacing bits...I'm sure it includes time for the other, visual, checks, required as part of the service.

At c£150 per hour, it soon builds up

It may have included a cabin filter, a key fob battery and visual check from memory but pretty sure that is the lot.

With respect, I think you’re missing the point - a service isn’t just a case of replacing the oil/filter and brake fluid, the checks probably take longer than it does to replace those bits.

The bulk of the cost is the labour, which as said isn’t cheap at a main dealer.

I just struggle to believe that you were quoted/charged over £300 for brake fluid though. This isn’t included as part of any particular service either (A or B etc) it’s replaced due to age and is charged as an additional job (but not usually £360 or whatever)

Are you confusing the cost of either an A or B service with the price of the brake fluid or something? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom