Mercedes-Benz; Why you no like me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
if you think the jlr stuff is better you should maybe get that instead.

I've owned over twenty Mercedes and liked pretty much every single one of them, but try to temper that with trying out other car makers.

I had the 'air suspension, visit workshop' come on the dash on Saturday on the E55 which was diagnosed as a strut.

Don't panic about Airmatic. Forums like this have saved me fortune in the past two weeks. I had an airmatic strut burst on me one week after buying my ML420 cdi. Not exactly a great start to ownership!

In my case the fault was very easy to identify - the front air bag had a big tear and air was hissing out. I also got an "Airmatic malfunction" warning on the dash. I searched this forum and google and took the plunge to buy a repair kit off ebay (£168). This arrived in 2 days (from Germany) and took two hours to fit following instructions on youtube.

I am not sure how difficult it is to repair an E55 strut, but if it is similar to the ML then it is a simple DIY task which can be carried out with a standard tool kit.

I am also replaced the plastic airmatic links as the metal ball joints had seized in the plastic links. I was amazed to find that the ride height is determined by a cheap bit of plastic. (£21 each from local dealer).

Let us know how you get on.

Paul

Thanks for that info Paul, I'm taking the E55 for a thorough investigation tomorrow so I'll report back.

On a slightly different note, I think an ML63 could be a good buy next...

i have not had a mercedes but never had problems with fords, vx's hondas etc. if you think the jlr stuff is better you should maybe get that instead. i am looking for an s class lwb as i have two tall sons but i wonder if i am crazy and should get a nice s80 and tell them to squeeze in a bit

You will soon be back in a MB after a s80 :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom