Mercedes rear Subframe part order- Strange experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP , Rear sub frames old/used/refurbed have been available to buy online for a while now. Because the rear sub frame corrosion issue on this car has been a known issue for a few years .

Mercedes Benz have been reported as replacing them free of charge even on cars without full MB service history because the rear sub frame is not a service item. This route is probably not for you as you are in a hurry to get back on the road and there is no guarantee that even after lots of time and effort spent discussing the issue with MB there is no guarantee of success.

If you plan to keep the car I would suggest you get the rear brake lines replaced while the frame is off. Or at least get them inspected very carefully by someone who knows what they are looking at. depending on mileage getting all of the bushings and links replaced might be money well spent while its off the car. Also a great opportunity to get that whole underside exposed bodywork properly rust proofed as well.

IMHO just dropping a rear subframe and bolting another one in its place without doing easy access remedial work at the same time on a 13 year old car is a bit of a wasted opportunity. But I understand why you need the car back on the road as soon as is possible.
A big thank you, this was real helpful, will cut and paste it to my garage. The problem is that they rarely tend to take note of what I say though!!

It's all about time and money . How much time have you got and how much money do you want to spend.? My S203 2006 C class is showing signs of corrosion but on my car it is not a case of sudden catastrophic failure as it can be on your car ,on your car the frame rots from within and as a result the true extent of rot can not always be seen.

My subframe is just ugly, but it is also rare and becoming more difficult to find replacements so I will drop mine and do a 'proper' job on it taking my time to do all the other stuff I have previously mentioned. But that is a luxury I have as I have other cars I can use in the meantime.

You mention that there are a 244 frames in stock with MB . I wonder why that is , are they expecting a deluge of rear sub frame claims 🤔 ? The Cynic in me says yes they are. It is indeed true that car manufacturers have to keep a certain amount of parts for a certain amount of years , but 244 bulky items like a subframe ? and thats just Europe.

Keep 244 because they sold tens of thousands of 204's and they might be needed for crash repair ? I would suggest most that have a big enough bump to damage the rear sub frame would be written off and would need nothing , never mind a rear subframe.

Push for some or all cost to be taken by MB .

Incidentally my nephew just bought his first MB ...a C class W204 . I did tell him to get the subframe inspected before handing over any money..:)

OP , Rear sub frames old/used/refurbed have been available to buy online for a while now. Because the rear sub frame corrosion issue on this car has been a known issue for a few years .

Mercedes Benz have been reported as replacing them free of charge even on cars without full MB service history because the rear sub frame is not a service item. This route is probably not for you as you are in a hurry to get back on the road and there is no guarantee that even after lots of time and effort spent discussing the issue with MB there is no guarantee of success.

If you plan to keep the car I would suggest you get the rear brake lines replaced while the frame is off. Or at least get them inspected very carefully by someone who knows what they are looking at. depending on mileage getting all of the bushings and links replaced might be money well spent while its off the car. Also a great opportunity to get that whole underside exposed bodywork properly rust proofed as well.

IMHO just dropping a rear subframe and bolting another one in its place without doing easy access remedial work at the same time on a 13 year old car is a bit of a wasted opportunity. But I understand why you need the car back on the road as soon as is possible.
Many thanks, this suggestion was very helpful
I relayed this to the garage, who promised to do so
I have a can of ACF 50, 369 mls, which they could spray it on? Would this be sufficient? Is there anything else I could give them to spray or apply?

What is the part number of the rear subframe you are after?

I have a can of ACF 50, 369 mls, which they could spray it on? Would this be sufficient? Is there anything else I could give them to spray or apply?
Good to hear you’re getting somewhere with it.
POR15 is also good stuff, well respected in the classic/resto circles. Can be painted directly over rust (Paint On Rust) but can be used on new metal too. They do a 3-step stop rust system too which is considered a permanent rust protection. Give it a google. Frost Restoration stock it in the UK, www.frost.co.uk

Some good news
The MB sub frame has finally arrived, and the old sub frame removed
They are still working on the car and they go along, new work seems to spring up, literally
I think they mentioned the old suspension frame has rusted away
Have enclosed some pics, including of the sub frame
The good news is that guys says that the rest of the under carriage isn't too bad. I was thinking of going in for that 525 anti rust treatment, He feels that it isn't necessary, phew
Regards

Mel

Attachments

• Without the sub frame.jpg
    Without the sub frame.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • Rotten subframe 2.jpg
    Rotten subframe 2.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 36
Some more pics,
car with no sub frame

Any ideas on cost of this suspension frame ?
Thanks

Attachments

• 491166C3-DD9A-4E5D-89EF-308FA29D7FC0.jpeg
    491166C3-DD9A-4E5D-89EF-308FA29D7FC0.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 808F5B6E-B1F8-4D74-BC99-B34530F8ABFF.jpeg
    808F5B6E-B1F8-4D74-BC99-B34530F8ABFF.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2C2F2BE4-2848-4FF2-9741-33DF288D5187.jpeg
    2C2F2BE4-2848-4FF2-9741-33DF288D5187.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 7ED98EFA-0900-4040-9A28-094F48C8576B.jpeg
    7ED98EFA-0900-4040-9A28-094F48C8576B.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 29
  • 5C2A94CD-177B-4799-ADE4-9326127523CA.jpeg
    5C2A94CD-177B-4799-ADE4-9326127523CA.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Under carriage pics

Attachments

• D66DDF22-31C6-4B7F-9DD6-AAC1B51CFAD4.jpeg
    D66DDF22-31C6-4B7F-9DD6-AAC1B51CFAD4.jpeg
    565.2 KB · Views: 10
Booked mine (SLK200) in for check at MB as was noted on MOT as (Major Advisory) then passed. I will update moving forward with MB feedback. I didn’t ask but the chap said tge would give the car a full health check. Are all these subframe and health checks free?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom