Metallic clicking noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rayaans

Car
C200
Hi guys, so after this beautiful weather we've been having over the past 2 months, and driving about 300 miles a week, Ive been keeping my sunroof and windows open regularly.

Anyway, Ive noticed a metallic clunking/clicking noise from what appears to be from around the front passenger side. Basically the car clicks whilst being driven and its speed related, so the faster I go, the more it clicks. Seems to do it on the straight but does get worse when turning left or right with no significant difference in direction that I can perceive.

Car is nearly 5 years old this year with 70k on the clock and did go in about 4 months ago for some warranty work and everything was green on the visual check that they do.

Would be grateful if anyone could suggest what it could be? Thanks

Reactions: AW8
Not sure how the handbrake cable to rear wheels is equipped on your car but maybe one of 2 things. Your handbrake cable has came out the clips that hold it in under the car and is now rubbing against moving parts according to your speed. More unlikely thing is the turbo housing. Certain ones have a tinny sound against aluminium housing and are replaced by a plastic housing which unless the car is under warranty costs a hefty £1000+. If its the handbrake cable then happy days. Am just stabbing guesswork tho. Things to look into and rule out.

Is it wheel speed related? Could be a stone/nail/screw or other foreign body in the tyre. Stranger things etc.

+1 for a stone in the tread.

+1 for stone first of all.

If not, I once had duff wheel bearings on a 3 year old Alpina which made that noise. I'd only ever heard the usual drone prior to that so it never dawned on me because of that and the age.

I did check the tread, there were some stones in there but it primarily comes from the left. Ive actually spent more time listening to it. It actually seems to get worse when turning to the left, and its coming from the left side of the vehicle

It is wheel speed related yes, gets faster the faster I go, however, this has been going on for a week or so, even after 300 miles or so. Doesn't appear to have any stones in there to be honest. Also, its not a droning sound, its literally a click click click metallic sounding thing relating to the speed of the wheel

Wheel bearing maybe...

Based on symptoms when prior having one fail on another car.

Could be a wheel bearing?

Could be a wheel bearing?

Thats what I thought initially. But the sound is odd, its a distinctive click. All the wheel bearings Ive had go previously were like growling noises.

IIRC ,(& I stand to be corrected), poor bearing wear in early stages can start as a click and progress to a more constant grind & as the bearing failure gets worse.

After a run carefully checking warmth of hubs can be a pointer.

I have known very loud noises from a stone caught between disc and dust cover............a loose anti rattle clip on pads & other issues can cause noises too.

Either way if it was mine I would be all over it until i found & sorted the issue...I cant tolerate unwelcome vehicular noises of unclear origin &/or part failures.

More he sais the clicking is quite distinctive the more inclined I am to say the emergency brake cable under the car hitting against propshaft / moving turning part which will as he describes go up and down with the speed of the car. Think can rule out tyres by the sounds of it. Interesting to get to the bottom of it. Nothing worse than annoying noises !

Flipping noise disappeared randomly for a few days

Then came back again with the same characteristics. Its all a bit odd. Atleast I cant hear it with the windows closed!

If it went and then came back, that suggests to me thats its not something mechanical that is failing, but something thats associated with a mechanical component, whats your oil like? last filter change??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom