• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mixing of coolant

smithcd

Car
S212 E220 BluTEC
So I was parked up for the night on holiday and I had a message from my local Mercedes service centre that my 2015 E220 S212 was low on coolant. The only coolant available in the town was OAT so I had to fill the reservoir with ~400mL OAT. I know you should not mix IAT with OAT coolant and I believe my merc has SiOAT or Lobrid coolant which is based on OAT… am I ok to run the 400mL OAT which will be now well diluted within the cooling system or do I need a flush and drain ASAP? I couldn’t find any conclusive reputable sources online. I haven’t seen any further drops in coolant volume so far. TIA

You could have topped it up with just water.

Just get it changed when you can.

Purchasing "original" Mercedes coolant, the instructions on the plastic bottle says mix with ordinary tap water. It does not explicitly say "distilled".
Reason one could be that the coolant chemistry prevents corrosion. Reason two is that some vehicles uses a level detector that measures Ohmic resistance in the coolant. Distilled water har a high resistivity. Tap water has lower resistivity. Using distilled water could risk false level alarms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom