• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

ML v GL v Cayenne

A few months ago i sold my 2012 ML350 to a dealer with 44k miles for just £19.5k. Maybe i should have asked for more! The car is still for sale for just under £21k.

2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 3.0 Sport
Just had a look on Autotrader. There are many more options for the same engine in a CLS shooting brake. Generally with less miles than the ML too.

Need to go and see one to determine if it's suitable.

Just personal preference. Else I might consider a CLS shooting brake but haven't checked their availability in the £15-20k budget.

This is the route I'd go. I wouldn't even bother thinking of the ML's, etc with the miles you'll be doing. Yeah fair enough the ML's etc will give the height advantage of a van compared to a car but do you really want poor mpg's in comparison to a CLS. Get a decent set of winter tyres and it'll make for a nice all year round car that looks good and returns good mpg's.

Only real issue with the CLS is when the 5th person is sat in the middle, I feel like it's a token seat compared to the middle seat in a 4x4.

I had a CLS Shooting Break before I bought it the other car on my hit list was an ML350. Our kids voted the CLS SB rear seats far more comfortable when we test drove both back to back. Carried 3 adults in the back a few time without any grumbles.

Nice cars for high mileage driving - quieter inside than the ML and more nimble - my 350d averaged 35.7mpg during my 15,000 mile ownership.

Quite a few for sale under £20k from Mercedes. The facelift ones have the 9 speed gearbox but no spare wheel.

Thanks Nat and PaulXC.

Time to revise the thread tile perhaps as the GL and Cayenne are fast falling of the radar. :)

Presumably the 9 speed gearbox was standard after a while? Will see if I can find the one in my budget.

Are there any must have's on the CLS?

Presumably air suspension is less important in the cls than the ML?

Been thinking about it overnight and done some more reading. (Obviously won't make a decision until I've seen the cars in the flesh but...)

I think I prefer the ML. The CLS Shooting brake is lighter, faster, more fuel efficient, newer with fewer miles but something about the tailgate (design wise) I don't like. At all. The front end, especially the AMG styling, I really like but the AMG version comes with 19" wheels.

Granted the ML will most likely have 19" wheels too but presumably I will be able to purchase and fit 18" wheels without any issues? Could keep the 19" wheels with winter tyres for winter.

Each to their own and all that but I think with a growing family, long term, I'll get more use and better practicality from the ML.

OP, you are thinking along the same lines as me. My standard-fit AMG 19" wheels were removed soon after purchase and replaced with 18" ones to try to keep my 1960's NHS fillings from being rattled out of my teeth.
The 19-inchers are stacked in the garage with nearly-new tyres ready to be put on when I sell it. I've not noticed any significant deterioration in the handling with 18" wheels, but the ride is far better, almost acceptable until I hit the next pothole. Putting 286/50 on helped a lot with "parking by feel" as the extra width really make a good job of protecting my precious rims.
Yes, you can make a logical argument for picking the CLS but since when did any of us buy a car with logic?
There's something appealing about an SUV that makes logical argument irrelevant, so I bought one anyway. Fortunately, the market agrees with me.
There's also the incidental fact that the W164 is probably the best-looking SUV on the road, at least until the Lamborghini version hits the showrooms...

Plus, in an emergency at motorway speeds, the 4wd might be the difference between a near miss and an accident. (This happened to my neighbour.)

That's the same logic Richard Branson used after his Range Rover flipped and rolled at 70mph at Stokenchurch. Others wonder whether an ordinary saloon would have avoided the accident in the first place, and not rolled.

That was the same year that Bob Payton died when his Range Rover hit a motorway sign and rolled, and an acquaintance lost his wife and two children when she rolled her Range Rover after bumping into Armco on the A303.

12538456.Makers_defend_Range_Rover_safety_after_holiday_accident_kills_five

OK, those were 1990's Range Rovers, but even today there's still a price to be paid in weight and manoeuvrability at speed.

But SUV's are the fashion.

richard-bransons-wrecked-range-rover-stokenchurch-1994-GC9M8B.jpg

Last edited:
Run an E and M Class.

Rack up approx 25-30K miles/annum. M was fantastic this past weekend due to snow and the need to bring back end of term paraphernalia over a 350+ mile round trip. The M really is a drug-dealer specification car (21", tints, etc) and looks great in my eyes plus other roadusers "nods". Bought the M over X5 and RRS counterparts and never regretted it.........(still think that the rear haunches on the X5 look fantastic!). It has room for 5 "full size" adults plus enough boot space. Footprint wise it is the size of a large car and so easy to park/manoeuvre. Only negative is that it likes a drink and is expensive to service. My car happens to be fully loaded as is an ex- MB press car and a joy to own/drive.

It must be obvious that I prefer the M over the E but the logical choice is the E. However, if heart rules head then the ML is not a bad choice.

Without a shadow of a doubt - if only had 1 car.................it would be the E.

At your proposed budget there are some cracking cars around (hint E350Cdi).

I had a w211 E 320 cdi and p/X it for a ML 320cdi sport, 19 inch wheels , liked them both! Eventually changed to a facelift 2011 Sport model with 20 inch wheels, slightly harder ride but not noticeably so.

The 3500KG max tow of the ML is also a winner. We tow a big twin axle caravan and sometimes a boat. It never puts a foot wrong! Serious load lugger, moves kids house, sofa, fridge freezer, washing machine you name it!

Found a 2012 ML350 7G-Tronic at slightly over my budget but I can stretch to it.

One owner from new, 64k miles, FMBSH (all services from new completed by the same service centre), engine and transmission oil changed recently (during last service), Mot until Feb 2019, 2 new front tyres being fitted, rears have 4-5mm tread. Haven't checked discs and pads yet.

Extra's include: (I haven't listed the non cost items as they're probably standard with this model.)

Code - Description
218 - Reversing camera with guidance lines
489 - AirMATIC air suspension
527 - COMAND Online
757 - 21" AMG alloy wheels 5-twin-spoke design
772 - AMG Bodystyling
846 - Aluminium-look running boards with rubber studs
873 - Front seats - heated
P35 - Intelligent Light System
P49 - Mirror Package
P64 - Memory package
201 - Leather - black
DL3 - Sport

The items below are base spec/non cost items but I'm not sure what they are. Can anyone clarify? Or help explain what this may mean (positive or negative) regarding road tax in the future?

Code - Description

927- Emission control system with EURO 6 technology
968 - CoC document EU6 without Reg. Cert. Part II

I'm not sure what these codes below are but presumably whatever they are, they are not applicable as the description is missing and there was £0 cost against these items. Just wondering if this is something to investigate further?

Description for 8-1U7 is missing
Description for 8-2U1 is missing
Description for 8-4U5 is missing
Description for 8-B09 is missing
Description for 8-K13 is missing
Description for 8-U72 is missing
Description for 8-V45 is missing
Description for S-D5B is missing

Things I don't like

It doesn't have a sunroof and I'm coming from a car that had a large panaramic roof. A general search shows nothing in my budget has a sunroof though.

21" wheels. I would have preferred 18". I suppose I can use these until the tyres need replacing and then buy smaller wheels.

Your thoughts everyone?

Just realised, it doesn't explicitly mention DAB. Does this come as part of the command package or as standard or will I have to retrofit DAB?

Not tried one with Air, but suspect that you might be pleasantly surprised with the ride, even on 21 inch rims. You need to go and drive one now !

Seems good!

927- Emission control system with EURO 6 technology Is the Adblue system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom