• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

ML v GL v Cayenne

An ML on Airmatic is a completely different beast to one on springs in my experience.

Think I'll ask to drive a couple so i can make a judgement. (One with and one without airmatic)

It's the only 350 they have though. All others are 250.

On my way shortly. Any idea's what MB would throw in as freebies on this age/type of car? Or am I going to have more luck asking for an extended warranty/service package as a freebie?

Go fir the extended warranty, the dealer knows how much this actually costs, but to you it will be worth more... just do your homework so you can make an informed decision.
All that being said....Good Luck!

Deposit paid.

Test drive was fine. Coming out of a much faster car so this was very different. Acceleration was slow (in comparison to what I'm used to) but linear. I actually enjoyed the smoothness of it. Was expecting it to be a little more laggy. There was still some body roll but that i guess is to be expected to a degree. (I doubt an X5 would have as much body roll. But the X5 would be too firm.) Can I live with it, yes, will have to adjust my driving style somewhat which isn't a big deal.

Wasn't as noisy as I was expecting. It has the piped leather seats, memory seats for passenger and driver. I didn't realise this and it's a bonus.

The car has a couple of minor dents and a piece of trim which needs replacing, as well as the caps on the wheels which are corroded. All of these will be taken care of. The engine bay will be properly cleaned.

As said before, 2 new front tyres (265/40/21) will be replaced. Retail for these are probably at least £200 each?

Where I struggled was in the negotiation. They are not dropping a penny. Nada. They offered free car mats, that's it. They didn't really entertain the idea of the extended warranty or a discounted service package. (I'm happy to do to any indy anyway.)

I'm going back on the weekend or early next week to review it with them once the car has been prepped.

Sat in an e class. Wasn't impressed. They're great for what they are but the heart is set on an ML this time.

Not surprised that price was firm, bought 2 ML's in last year, both times not much if any price movement. They seem to sell easily as long as they are in good condition with FMBSH. Tidying up and 2 new tyres will cost them so well worth negotiating for. Am sure you will be even more pleased once you get a few more miles on the clock.

Not tried one with Air, but suspect that you might be pleasantly surprised with the ride, even on 21 inch rims. You need to go and drive one now !
You're right. It wasn't too firm. It was quite lofty and supple despite the size of the wheels.

How much would mpg improve if I was to switch to 18" or 19" wheels? Or am I advised to stick with the 21" wheels.

I had a 2008 ML320 on Airmatic for six years prior to 2014, the longest I have kept a car for 25 years. I'm sure you'll get on fine:)
Oh! and I now have a GLE (W166)...on air.

Last edited:
Just received an update regarding some questions I had asked MB previously.

The car doesn't have DAB according to OASIS.

Its got NTG4.5

Apparently they also had to replace one of components related to the airmatic suspension and a few other bits. Will they confirm this in writing if I ask them to? Am I likely to need this info in the future?

They're throwing in a few freebies and a full tank of Tesco's finest diesel. This is in addition to the new tyres and other bits already agreed. Retail of the freebies and fuel probably amounts to £400 max. If they prep it as well as the salesman is saying they will, I'll be happy enough.

Just unimpressed if it doesn't have DAB. I cover a lot of miles and even my 2008 a8 had DAB so will be upgrading the comand online to something else in the future. (It's important as I do so many miles and can't stand how poor FM/AM sound quality is.) as I understand it, IOS isn't entirely compatible with comand online anyway?!

I thought DAB was standard on the W166 ML's.

Personally I'm with you on this but I didn't check this on the day and the salesman isn't sure. (Not quite sure why he doesn't check the car itself but he's new, bless him.) He asked someone in MK and they just looked at OASIS. That was a waste of time as the salesman and I had already done that when we first spoke about the car.

Will find out when I collect the car I suppose.

Will start a thread to discuss sat nav/media systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom