• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

ML270 parking brake . . .

Dee James

Car
2003 ML 270
Hi All,

i have a 2006 ML270 which has just failed the MOT - "Parking brake efficiency below requirements"

the MOT place have said it will probably need both rear disks pads and brake shoes replacing, at a cost of over £500. Surely if the whole lot needs replacing then it would have failed on the rear brakes as well or at least been an advisory?

The main brakes are discs which have an internal drum for the parking brake.
It isn't that hard to do it yourself but I wouldn't want to be doing it on my drive at this time of year.

Total price for parts currently on ECP is £165 using Brembo/Pagid which is discs, pads and shoes.

You could also check some of the UK MB dealers on ebay for genuine part prices which can be pretty reasonable.

take it to an indie and get them to replace and adjust your brakeshoes (handbrake components only). Them 3 things dont just all of a sudden need replaced all at once. If the general condition of your back brakes are reasonably ok and you dont have a corroded back plate (which the shoes have to be secured by) then brake shoes are the only things required to change. Sounds like they would rather wreck your brake disk and pads taking them both off just to get to the brake shoes and just replace all. Sounds like a lazy and very expensive fix for a handbrake "Parking brake efficiency below requirements" fail. Or a simpler fix would be to just re-adjust and tighten up the handbrake tension. That should be the 1st port of call !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom