• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Mobile Phone Holder (which doesn't hang off the air vent)

Sigh 😔 . Wish I had android auto sigh 😔

Got a cheapo air vent phone holder for my hire car so I can Waze my way around California where I am working at the moment.......now I cant get the thing out of the air vent ! it's kind of clipped itself in (odd thin vertical vent Chevy Malibu) .

I got one day to sort it out before the car goes back , I will have to gentle (with the car bit , not the cheapo holder) don't want another inflated 'repair' bill from a car Hire company. Luckily I have tools with me , first job when the sun rises.

It was useful though. I will look for a quality alternative for my car.

to the OP. thats such a distracting position to place the phone taking your eyes well off the road.
Phone has only one place in my car, the centre console.
Every tine your phone pings you will be looking over your shoulder at it.

I would use it for google maps only. This is for the odd occasion where my 2012 sat nav is just that bit too out of date.

I keep a vent-mounted Mega Mount in mist of my cars just in case I need to use the phone for navigation and calls rather than use the Media Interface or CarPlay.

In 2016 the Comand unit failed a few days into a four week road trip. Luckily my wife could hold my phone but it was far from ideal, so the mounts Ahmad sense.

I would use it for google maps only. This is for the odd occasion where my 2012 sat nav is just that bit too out of date.

In the 'old days' we used road atlases for all navigation ... those were always years out of date! :D

Likewise, hate clutter around the car, like the clean interior lines look.
Agreed, which is why you should only have it out on those two trips a month when you do need Waze or whatever.

Rest of the time leave it Bluetoothed in your pocket and use Siri to control it.

But when you’re going somewhere you don’t know, or when you know there are likely delays on route, it can be a godsend.

Agreed, which is why you should only have it out on those two trips a month when you do need Waze or whatever.

Rest of the time leave it Bluetoothed in your pocket and use Siri to control it.

But when you’re going somewhere you don’t know, or when you know there are likely delays on route, it can be a godsend.
If one has apple car play/android auto, then no need to take it out of arm rest storage, to use Waze/Google maps.

If one has apple car play/android auto, then no need to take it out of arm rest storage, to use Waze/Google maps.
Obviously.

This is a £10 alternative to that £500 built in unit which will go out of date in a couple of years and will disappear altogether when you sell the car.

DDA82369-96AF-477C-BB86-9FEEF4866F68.jpeg

Very neat solution 👍🏻

Did you 3D print the phone holder or just the mount that the phone holder attaches to? Is there a cutout at the bottom to allow a power cable to be attached?
Yes, I printed the phone holder and bracket that loops around the existing lcd display. Space for the usb connector, I plan to get a 90 degree cable for it.

Likewise, hate clutter around the car, like the clean interior lines look.
I hear you with this comment. I don't even like the cupholder cover being open, let alone a cup in there or a phone on display. I'm not passing comment on anybody who likes their cups in the cupholder, or their phones in a phone mount, just my absolute preference if I can is to have nothing in my car, ideally no passengers either - they're the worst for ruining the natural interior lines!

I hear you with this comment. I don't even like the cupholder cover being open, let alone a cup in there or a phone on display. I'm not passing comment on anybody who likes their cups in the cupholder, or their phones in a phone mount, just my absolute preference if I can is to have nothing in my car, ideally no passengers either - they're the worst for ruining the natural interior lines!
😄 likewise with the cup holder, nothing in the door card storage areas, nothing hanging from rear view mirror, you get the picture, my kids think I need help😂

I like my cars clean and uncluttered inside too but wouldn't pay to have the phone holder on my R129 uninstalled, and it looks better (IMHO) with a handset in it than empty :)

1676632649702.png

Nice had one of those phones, served me very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom