mop or not to mop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Gaskin

Car
CLS cgi
Have a 2009 CLS in obsidian black, it looks great when polished but could be better as the paintwork seems to lack that showroom finish. I've heard about mopping but am unsure as I don't know anyone who has had it done. So advice please! Especially if you've had your MB mopped.
Thanks

Steve.

I have machined polished 3 of these beautys over the years , 2 were Obsidian black, the other Iridium Silver.

Merc paint / clearcoat in general is hard and is thus good to work with, as it is hard, so to remove basic swirls etc you will have to use a medium to heavy cut polish, such as 3M Fast Cut etc.
After this, start to step down in grade with the polish and pad, until you get to the finishing stage. There are loads of videos on YouTube to watch and learn.
These are big cars to polish so be prepared for some hard work, if you are going the DIY route, you will achieve good results with a Dual Action Polisher and they are safe to use in the right hands, but as they do not spin fast enough, i would tend to stay away from the 3M Fast Cut Coarse polish.

To achieve that pro car show shine, most pros will use a Rotary Polisher, or the now popular Rupes DA machine, but you will need to practice long and hard before using these as you can inflict severe damage to your paint.
Once polished, sealed and waxed the car will look stunning and is so much easier to wash and look after.

If you are going to get it polished by a pro- detailer, the price will depend on what stage of paint correction you want, for example a one stage polish to remove fine swirls complete with wax etc - say £400, may be less?
If its that show car look with perfect paint your after then be prepared to spend over £1k upwards.

Before leaping straight into machine polishing, you mention polish in your OP but not wax or sealant. Polishes are good for correcting but do not give lustre; it is waxes and sealants that give that showroom finish.

Any suggestions on wax and/or sealants?

For a quick detail

I clay first then
MOP it first using Menzerna polishes(Car is Azurite blue metallic)
Followed by Poorboys Black Hole Glaze
Followed by P222 wax
Followed by Poorboys EXP sealant

Any suggestions on wax and/or sealants?

A bit like asking how long is a piece of string; everyone seems to have their own favourites.

Black Hole (as mentioned) is very good for dark/black cars as is Blacklight (CG's).

However, many people swear by Collinite 476 and others like Autoglym HD wax or UDS BUT have a look at Car Care Products | Detailing Products | UK - Clean Your Car

People put reviews on and you can get a reasonable idea of what is out there without spending a fortune………….clean it, polish (or correct it) and then protect it.

I like Autoglym Aquawax, for example, for when there just isn't time for a full wax job. It works very well on dark paint. It won't last for weeks and weeks but is uber-easy to apply..

Some good vids on Youtube about detailing………no need to become an OCD monkey but good to know what works and what is worth the effort and money.

Thanks for all the advice and tips. Not sure if it's helped or confused me more lol. At least I have some product names to take a good look at.
Thanks.

Have a 2009 CLS in obsidian black, it looks great when polished but could be better as the paintwork seems to lack that showroom finish. I've heard about mopping but am unsure as I don't know anyone who has had it done. So advice please! Especially if you've had your MB mopped.
Thanks

Steve.

Morning Steve, do you have another car you could correct, before starting on the Merc , just a thought

Could always try it on the missus car first. Lol.
Peugeot 206cc in black too.

Second the recommendation for Vince. My Cosworth was done beautifully, 12 hours of solid work for the grand total of his diesel and £175.

Seeing what he did on that CLS shows what can be achieved.

This is what a professional two stage machine polish did for my Obsidian black E Class - well worth it, as a starting point for keeping it looking good:

Steve,
If your paint is in a poor state, then no amount of waxes or sealants will make it look better, you are just wasting your money mate.
As you can see from the pics machine polishing has removed the defects ( swirls . fine scratches etc), this allows the light to reflect properly, giving that deep reflection, theres no wax or sealant on the paint here, just the light reflecting.
Go to the detailer of your choice and ask to see his/her work, compare the price for what you are getting with other detailers.
PS.
Warning - some main car dealerships are now offering a " paint rejuvination" package, where their valeters will machine polish / mop the car for you, say thankyou and walk away.

My paint is fine. Usual small scratches etc. Polishes up lovely but I know it could be better, hence I'm asking on here for advice etc. Certainly considering Pallas as recommended on here. His website and work is impeccable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom