MPG - are you respectful of economy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The worst vehicle I've owned was my old Landy...15mpg on a good day...:D

At 80mph I'm not sure which moved faster, the speedo or fuel gauge..

If you were doing a steady 80, then the speedo wouldn't be moving at all!

It all depends what the mood takes me, I use to enjoy trying to break 60mpg on my commute home in my Passat. I also used to try for the holy grail of 40mpg plus on the CLS but rarely saw it.

I am working on 30mpg in the C63 but then a moment of madness can undo all the good work - best I've had is 28mpg and worse is 7. I seem to have quite a few mad moments, can't think why...

S

If you were doing a steady 80, then the speedo wouldn't be moving at all!

It all depends what the mood takes me, I use to enjoy trying to break 60mpg on my commute home in my Passat. I also used to try for the holy grail of 40mpg plus on the CLS but rarely saw it.

I am working on 30mpg in the C63 but then a moment of madness can undo all the good work - best I've had is 28mpg and worse is 7. I seem to have quite a few mad moments, can't think why...

S

Those mad moments of doing 30mpg must be terrible :rolleyes:
Ed

S

I'm the same, even when trying for economy...suddenly these little horns start growing and it's all wasted...

Mine has averaged 32mpg for the first 1000 miles according to the OBC. I have no idea how accurate it is, life's too short for calculating real consumption from petrol receipts and mileage. Anything over 25 is fine by me, if I cared about fuel consumption I'd have bought a smaller car

Steady driving and lack of the mad moments works wonders. My boost isn't working at the moment so I had an enforced period where I couldn't be mad...the car decided that. But the results are impressive:

Attachments

• php0CN0HTAM.jpg
    php0CN0HTAM.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 59
I get just about 46mpg from my B180 CVT diesel. That's averaged over a few thousand miles now in very different types of traffic from hilly urban streets, nose to tail motorways and fast country A-Roads.

It knocks my old 2.5l Subaru Impreza out of the water. That averaged about 19mpg and could hit single figures when having a little fun.

Two very different cars I know, but I couldn't afford my commute once we got into £1.30ish for standard unleaded let alone the super.

Slight bump, but reading the MPG display on my dash, my car (W140 S320L) is doing shockingly bad! Inner London driving is around 10-12 MPG, on the motorway it gos up to about 17-18. I don't care, it's an amazing car, but having to use 91 octane fuel or higher is getting a bit pricy!

I might pass on that! Haven't quite drained my bank account on fuel yet, my '94 Jeep did a better job at that (yes, that's the one the garage refused to do an emissions test on for health and safety reasons!)

I wonder whose car does the worst mpg here, anyone do under 10?

I might pass on that! Haven't quite drained my bank account on fuel yet, my '94 Jeep did a better job at that (yes, that's the one the garage refused to do an emissions test on for health and safety reasons!)

I wonder whose car does the worst mpg here, anyone do under 10?

I would imagine most on here with v8/amg's have seen sub 10mpg at some stage of there ownership.

I would imagine most on here with v8/amg's have seen sub 10mpg at some stage of there ownership.

I was thinking with everyday driving, not when putting your foot down, my guess was something like that 2006 6.3 estate I saw today would do that little

I was thinking with everyday driving, not when putting your foot down, my guess was something like that 2006 6.3 estate I saw today would do that little

So was i,try sitting in central london traffic during rush hour tommorrow in a v8/amg!

It's taken me 15 days to go through exactly half a tank of fuel. In that time I drove from London to Guildford and back twice and did a bit of very short distance driving in London. Having climate control on won't help fuel consumption (or is that a myth?)

My son's head of motor club at his school (driving and restoring old vehicles) and they have an Alvis Saracen which does 2mpg most of the time from what I'm told from chatting with the man in charge. Should have a sticker on the back saying "Greenpeace this"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom