• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

MPG not what I was told! E Class estate SE 2016

lorri66

Car
E CLASS ESTATE 220d 2016
Hello, not sure if this is the right place to put this but I bought an E Class estate 220d SE reg December 2016 on Tuesday.
traded in a C class estate 2012 which gave me at least 51mpg on motorway journeys and when I drove 120 miles to pick up new car.
Salesman from Mercedes dealership said I would get better fuel economy for sure, and the details give it as around 60mpg for this car.
On the return journey in my new car driving conditions were the same and I averaged between 60-80mph on the motorway. 120 mile trip and all I got was 48mpg, really not impressed to what I was led to beleive and worse than my 61/2yr old c class.

I know that what the books state you should always lessen for mpg but I was expecting to get at least 55mpg on this type of journey in comfort mode if not more.
am I being unrealistic and has salesman not been truthful? I have contacted him and he said he's always got at 60mpg on the e class's he has driven but offered no advise except to monitor.

would appreciate any other E Class 220d SE owners thoughts please.
thank you

There are so many variables it’s impossible to guarantee you’ll get X MPG.

Averaging 60 - 80...you got good mpg. The E is heavier than the C...why would you expect better?

No pinches of salt where you live?

You are quibbling about a 3mpg difference on a car that is much larger and heavier? Im suprised it isn’t a larger variation.

Is the 48 mpg a true calculated figure or what dash display is telling you? The onboard calculations / displays are notoriously unreliable. The only way to determine the true figure is to fill the tank, drivea significant distance then refill the tank.

thanks for replies
No Not uphill all the way home! same driving conditions as going.
Dont think I am quibbling when I was told it would be more economical plus the info for the car says more than my 6 1/2 c class 2L.
Mercedes on line chat say the new ones give 64mpg, now I know mine is nearly 2 years old but surely it would do similar esp on a 120 mile motorway journey or least give me the same as C class.

I took the reading from the display for that journey, same as I did going in my c class.

I'm going on what I was told by Mercedes dealership salesman.

Being your new car I guess you were not using cruise control on a way back home.
With cruise control on you’ll probably get better mpg.

Any manufacture's economy data, mpg figures, should be taken with a large pinch of salt. Even when given to you verbally by those bastions of honesty, salesmen...
These official figures are for paper comparison of different models/marques and shouldn't be expected in real world driving where the very many variables that affect mpg change hourly.
TBH I think you did really well to get the mpg you did!

no I didnt, but never did on my other car.

48mpg just seems too low for this car ands its claims of 61-68mpg. Like I said I wasn't expecting to get 68mpg by any means but was hoping for at least 58 ish.

Have just spoken to Mercedes customer services who say it should be 65 combined but they are their perfect garage testing conditions so 48 is pants.

So many variables , not least tyre pressures, which will be max allowable for max fuel economy

Mine has gone down to mid 20s in this climate, don't penny watch and enjoy your new car :D

48mpg just seems too low for this car ands its claims of 61-68mpg. Like I said I wasn't expecting to get 68mpg by any means but was hoping for at least 58 ish.

Have just spoken to Mercedes customer services who say it should be 65 combined but they are their perfect garage testing conditions so 48 is pants.
Does it claim 61 - 68 mpg while driving at 80 mph? You are being unrealistic. You'd get it at 56mph.

I doubt those claims apply at 60-80mph.

Hello, not sure if this is the right place to put this but I bought an E Class estate 220d SE reg December 2016 on Tuesday.
traded in a C class estate 2012 which gave me at least 51mpg on motorway journeys and when I drove 120 miles to pick up new car.
Salesman from Mercedes dealership said I would get better fuel economy for sure, and the details give it as around 60mpg for this car.
On the return journey in my new car driving conditions were the same and I averaged between 60-80mph on the motorway. 120 mile trip and all I got was 48mpg, really not impressed to what I was led to beleive and worse than my 61/2yr old c class.

I know that what the books state you should always lessen for mpg but I was expecting to get at least 55mpg on this type of journey in comfort mode if not more.
am I being unrealistic and has salesman not been truthful? I have contacted him and he said he's always got at 60mpg on the e class's he has driven but offered no advise except to monitor.

would appreciate any other E Class 220d SE owners thoughts please.
thank you
The Honest John Real MPG site has submitted average for a 2016 E220 Estate of 50mpg - doing 60 to 80 and getting that seems good.
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate (2016 on) - Real MPG | Honest John

My E220d SE (2015), albeit a saloon, averaged 43mpg, with mostly round town driving.

On a motorway trip I would usually get just over 52mpg (with cruise set at 73mph).

On one trip from Yorkshire to South Wales with 50mph and 40mph roadworks in several places, I got 61.4mpg.

Speed, tyre pressures, outside temperature - so many variables. Obviously impossible for anyone to guarantee anything, but the above figures may help you gauge your own results.

When it is not raining nor windy and when it is significantly warmer you will approach 55mpg on that run. Any speed over 70 will affect your mpg adversly.

thanks for replies
No Not uphill all the way home! same driving conditions as going.
Dont think I am quibbling when I was told it would be more economical plus the info for the car says more than my 6 1/2 c class 2L.
Mercedes on line chat say the new ones give 64mpg, now I know mine is nearly 2 years old but surely it would do similar esp on a 120 mile motorway journey or least give me the same as C class.

I took the reading from the display for that journey, same as I did going in my c class.

I'm going on what I was told by Mercedes dealership salesman.
As others have said:

You are being unrealistic in your expectations and possibly misunderstanding how fuel consumption figures are calculated.

The weather has turned colder and diesels do give poorer consumption due to longer warm up times etc plus you are now in a significantly larger and heavier car. The figure you mentioned after driving at 60-80 mph is quite reasonable but run some brim to brim calculations to get a real feel for fuel usage. Also ensure tyre pressures and wheel alignment are optimal.

I think the question here is whether the dealer mislead Lorri66.

I'm not surprised that a heavier larger car does less - but *if* the dealer had told me it would be better (and no doubt stated new more efficient engine etc) then I would be mighty peed off if that was not true - especially as this was clearly part of Lorri66's buying decision.

I think your recourse is with the dealer. Calculate the lost ££ based on current fuel prices and 52mpg vs 48mpg (i.e better that the C class which is what he promised), 4 years of driving (you changed your last car when it was 6.5 years and the new is ~2 already, I don't know if you owned the C class from new) and your average mileage and tell the dealer's sales manager to re-imburse you the difference or you will return the car ..

My quick calculation says that's 60 odd gallons at 10k miles per annum, so a few hundred quid ...

Cheers
Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom