• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

MPG not what I was told! E Class estate SE 2016

Why don't you just use fuelly.com?
That pic I posted is taken from an extract from a much bigger fuel / servicing /costs monitoring program I used in the past with the organization I worked for. And for that reason, it was handy for me to use. The fuel consumption part is actually only scratching the surface....it monitors and compares ALL cost's for quite a large fleet, which includes, cars, trucks, generators, boats motor bikes etc. In fact, anything we used that had an engine in it !!!.. But now I must try this "FUELLY" system, Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a 2016 E220 which has done 34k miles. To be honest on motorways at 75mph i easily get around 55mpg in warmer conditions and nobody in the car. Its a beautiful drive and the only thing I dislike is the run flat tyres make it a slightly bumpier and 'skidier' ride when it hits pot holes but got used to it now!

If you like the car and if you only do 10k a year its not going to make too much difference but get the garage to check it out - best of luck mate :)

I DON'T EXPECT TO GET 67!! but do expect more than 48. Motorway journeys are always less if doing 80 constantly but I wasn't, same driving conditions going as coming home.

This is supposed to be a more fuel economical engine, thats what the newer cars are about. the Mercedes sales rep said I would get more without any hesitation, he said the ones he's driven he's got at least 60mpg on motorways and was surprised I didnt.

Was in comfort mode, a/c yes but not high (same as driving old car) same passengers, but we ate lunch so I guess thats it!! No its not 4matic. Its had 4 new tyres fitted by Mercedes and service before I took the car.

I don't think it matters how many miles I do a year, but I do under 10k. It matters how much I fuel I use each time I go out, around the village or town I'm not expecting to get a proper mpg as journeys are much shorter.

I'll leave this now as some of you are helpful and some are just a bit mean and sarcastic, which I don't think is called for when I asked a genuine question and help for my new car.
What’s the latest on this? Has MPG improved? Any progress with the dealer who sold the car to you?

Hello, not sure if this is the right place to put this but I bought an E Class estate 220d SE reg December 2016 on Tuesday.
traded in a C class estate 2012 which gave me at least 51mpg on motorway journeys and when I drove 120 miles to pick up new car.
Salesman from Mercedes dealership said I would get better fuel economy for sure, and the details give it as around 60mpg for this car.
On the return journey in my new car driving conditions were the same and I averaged between 60-80mph on the motorway. 120 mile trip and all I got was 48mpg, really not impressed to what I was led to beleive and worse than my 61/2yr old c class.

I know that what the books state you should always lessen for mpg but I was expecting to get at least 55mpg on this type of journey in comfort mode if not more.
am I being unrealistic and has salesman not been truthful? I have contacted him and he said he's always got at 60mpg on the e class's he has driven but offered no advise except to monitor.

would appreciate any other E Class 220d SE owners thoughts please.
thank you
My C Coupe was advertised at up to 60 mpg. Best I've achieved is much less than that. My 7 year old C220d does 60mpg regularly. Some say it's the rubbish in fuel now. Others say it's the particulate filters that cause the loss of mpg.

My C Coupe was advertised at up to 60 mpg. Best I've achieved is much less than that. My 7 year old C220d does 60mpg regularly. Some say it's the rubbish in fuel now. Others say it's the particulate filters that cause the loss of mpg.
What "rubbish in fuel" are you alluding to?

All i would say is i get 50 to 55mpg at about 80 mph (with 20" wheels). Firstly make sure the tyre pressures are correct. Second drive in Eco as you then get the coasting function. Don't forget if the car did a DPF regen then for that 30 mins you may only have been getting 40 mpg as it considerably over fuels the car to achieve the burn temp. Also which tyres did the stealer fit? My car has Michelins, my wife's Goodyear. We swap the wheels between our cars when we change over from the winter tyres and i get a couple of mpg more from the Goodyears.

I suspect you are getting tad on the low side - whenever i am in UK (speed limit fixed at 75mph on the motorway) i always get above 55mpg.

I can also say from experience of brimming the tank and checking mpg that the trip computer is absolutely accurate about fuel usage.

What "rubbish in fuel" are you alluding to?
According to the AA, Biodiesel consists mainly of fatty acid methyl esters (FAMEs) and is manufactured from a range of feed stocks including oil seed rape, waste cooking oil, palm oil, vegetable oil and animal fats.

This thread really does make me giggle.:rolleyes:
A couple of weeks ago I made a trip due west from Norfolk to Chipping Norton in the diesel V6 3 litre 4WD Audi. About a 300 mile round trip.
I was in no great hurry (wife on board!) and got just 48.8 mpg in the cold winter conditions of the outward leg. The return leg on Friday evening was in heavier traffic, but returned 53.2 mpg. Audi says my car should produce low 40's mpg.
I'm not sure if I should complain to Audi for misleading figures or my local climate office for the prevailing westerly winds.:dk:

This thread really does make me giggle.:rolleyes:
A couple of weeks ago I made a trip due west from Norfolk to Chipping Norton in the diesel V6 3 litre 4WD Audi. About a 300 mile round trip.
I was in no great hurry (wife on board!) and got just 48.8 mpg in the cold winter conditions of the outward leg. The return leg on Friday evening was in heavier traffic, but returned 53.2 mpg. Audi says my car should produce low 40's mpg.
I'm not sure if I should complain to Audi for misleading figures or my local climate office for the prevailing westerly winds.:dk:

Is that the numbers from the trip computer or did you work it out yourself? The trip computers in some makes are very optimistic. I've seen greater than 10% error.

Is that the numbers from the trip computer or did you work it out yourself? The trip computers in some makes are very optimistic. I've seen greater than 10% error.
The numbers were from the trip computer which I have verified on a number of occasions. It has always been within +/- 1% using brim tank method.
But of course I haven't actually seen the Weights and Measures verification of my local supermarket fuel pump...

My point is that having done many West/East journeys in many different cars the resulting difference is similar, especially if there is a brisk westerly wind.
The higher the average speed and the higher the difference, entirely in line with aerodynamics of the car using a greater proportion of the energy required as the speed rises.

According to the AA, Biodiesel consists mainly of fatty acid methyl esters (FAMEs) and is manufactured from a range of feed stocks including oil seed rape, waste cooking oil, palm oil, vegetable oil and animal fats.
So this is "rubbish" in your qualified opinion as a Petrochemical Engineer?

Hi , I am surprised that any car salesperson would provide mpg figures as he would be leaving the dealership wide open for various actions.

My M276 engine fuel consumption varies from 10 - 28 mpg in these winter temperatures.

Summer temperatures provide excellent fuel figures and have achieved over 50mpg

Hi , I am surprised that any car salesperson would provide mpg figures as he would be leaving the dealership wide open for various actions.

My M276 engine fuel consumption varies from 10 - 28 mpg in these winter temperatures.

Summer temperatures provide excellent fuel figures and have achieved over 50mpg
But they have been published by MB and so are a matter of public record! Also how they have been obtained is also published somewhere as it is a standard. There's no real room for quibbling. The question is whether its reasonable to expect that level of performance in day to day usage. I don't think that is claimed anywhere.

The
But they have been published by MB and so are a matter of public record! Also how they have been obtained is also published somewhere as it is a standard. There's no real room for quibbling. The question is whether its reasonable to expect that level of performance in day to day usage. I don't think that is claimed anywhere.
As above.

Fuel consumption figures are obtained under controlled laboratory conditions for each vehicle tested.

Real World figures with gradients, head or tail wnds, traffic density etc will all have a bearing on the consumption obtained as indeed will the driver.

Hi , As Mercedes state these new World tests are only that !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom