• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Multimedia cable but no sound

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
Hello again chaps, I’m a lapsed member but now storming back with a EQC and a SL350 / 2011

I’ve got 3 cables with the multimedia kit and the socket in the centre console. I put my usb cable on the usb socket and the phone charges but no sound and tbh I can’t see it on the head unit.

iPhone 15 pro max

Do I need something else or am I missing the obvious.

I’d like to play music etc from my phone through the car.

Cheers

Hello again chaps, I’m a lapsed member but now storming back with a EQC and a SL350 / 2011

I’ve got 3 cables with the multimedia kit and the socket in the centre console. I put my usb cable on the usb socket and the phone charges but no sound and tbh I can’t see it on the head unit.

iPhone 15 pro max

Do I need something else or am I missing the obvious.

I’d like to play music etc from my phone through the car.

Cheers
Is this on the 2011 SL350 or on the EQC ?

There's more than a decade's worth of difference. (You should be able to bluetooth the phone to at least the EQC)

Apologies for the dumb question but always important to check.

Two thoughts come to mind:

Are you sure you've got the right cable for your lightning connection?
There are cheap Chinese connectors around that charge but don't really work

Secondly, are you sure you don't have an MMI connector for this? If you've got that connector, it might make more sense just to bluetooth across to that.

My cable is new old stock - the iPhone bit is pre lightning!! I’m told I need an invery or a different cable

Welcome back! It’s been a while 👍🏻
Hello yes 9 years I think, I have not had a Merc since my SL55 but I now have the EQC bought new for the tax advantage and a SL350 2011 which is driving me mad trying to play my iphone through Comand 2.5 with multimedia. Is Richard from Comand still about?

Hello yes 9 years I think, I have not had a Merc since my SL55 but I now have the EQC bought new for the tax advantage and a SL350 2011 which is driving me mad trying to play my iphone through Comand 2.5 with multimedia. Is Richard from Comand still about?
But you told us that you were only nipping out to get milk…

Indeed @richard and @Alfie are both still around 👍🏻

I’ve ordered an apple 30 pin to Bluetooth adapter let’s see if that works

I’ve ordered an 3.5mm to usb c to see if I can get audio into comand

Apologies but I'm struggling to understand what's going on here. Probably my fault.

Do you have an MMI connector in the car? If so, the usual routine is just to plug in something like an Invery Bluetooth adaptor, and then use Bluetooth to stream your content, with an ability to use steering wheel buttons to navigate iPhone options.

But that's no CarPlay equivalent. For that you'd need a whole different head unit.

So iPhone 15 usb c to Mercedes multimedia - I sussed out sound on AUX with a 3.5mm to usb c adapter plugged into the merc multimedia 3.5 cable.
You get sound - apparently nobody knows this so I’m changing the world 😂
If I ever find a Bluetooth adapter I’ll get that but nobody knows the model ?

So iPhone 15 usb c to Mercedes multimedia - I sussed out sound on AUX with a 3.5mm to usb c adapter plugged into the merc multimedia 3.5 cable.
You get sound - apparently nobody knows this so I’m changing the world 😂
If I ever find a Bluetooth adapter I’ll get that but nobody knows the model ?
See the link that I gave you earlier in the week.

Click through the link that I included and then investigate from there. This really shouldn't be complicated, it's a decade old vehicle.
That gives you your bluetooth link, then separately you need a power connection, purely to keep your USB-C phone charged, not to transfer data.

Bluetooth rather than data cable connection gives you the enormous advantage that you can just open your car, start it up, and say "Hey Sir, play Start it Up, by the Rolling Stones" and it will with no faffing for cables

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 18.28.04.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom