• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

My 87 420sel Benz will not accelerate

Benz420

Car
420sel
I have w126 motor and it cranks and idles fine but when I put it in gear to drive it will not accelerate. When you push the pedal down the car just seems to mumble. Things I have already done is change both fuel pumps, new plugs and wire, new ignition coil, and fuel distributor. Restoring this car but need it running first if anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

Check the throttle linkages are moving freely :thumb:

Have you put a CO meter in the tailpipe to measure the CO?
Any black smoke?
Transmission fluid level okay?
Cap and rotor in good shape?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks? There are two big rubber tubes running on the inside of the cam cover that could fail at the ends and create a huge vacuum leak

Have you put a CO meter in the tailpipe to measure the CO?
Any black smoke?
Transmission fluid level okay?
Cap and rotor in good shape?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks? There are two big rubber tubes running on the inside of the cam cover that could fail at the ends and create a huge vacuum leak
There is no black smoke, transmission fluid is good, cap and rotor are both new, there are no vacuums leaks from the hoses. The economy gauge also goes all the way to left was well.

Remove the hose that goes to the fuel distributor and divert it to a bottle Jump the fuel pump relay and measure the output. You should get about a liter of fuel in 30 seconds You could have rust in the tank that's clogging the strainer

Remove the hose that goes to the fuel distributor and divert it to a bottle Jump the fuel pump relay and measure the output. You should get about a liter of fuel in 30 seconds You could have rust in the tank that's clogging the strainer
I will do that, I replaced the fuel tank strainer last week and the tank was really clean already.

Are you able to rev the engine whilst in Park & or N?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom