• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

My Garage Ceiling Conversion

daveenty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S63 Coupe
I posted a thread HERE asking about a structural surveyor a bit ago, regarding altering the ceiling height in my little garage at home. It ended up with several responses, mostly encouraging, so thanks for those. I promised there that I would write a quick report on the build, though this ended up not quite as little as planned, so here you go: -

I was going to finish with a link to some pictures, but to save you all scrolling down, I've put them here instead, as there were an awful amount for this post.: PICTURES OF GARAGE

Tuesday 5 July:

Spoke with the surveyor who looked at the garage with the ceiling still in place and recommended that we get some steelwork in place before any of the trusses were cut to avoid any problems with slippage/sag of the main ridge. I spoke with the builder who potentially agreed, but decided to take a few ceiling boards off (interior ply) before committing to anything. After the boards were removed, what were supposed to be trusses turned out to be triangular frames with rafters. After speaking with the surveyor again, it was decided that steel was unnecessary as it's not a massive roof, basically 6 tiles high, and 7 x 3 timber would be fine, especially as half the ceiling was staying in situ, though the ridge would need one of these beams to strengthen it. Builder, who is very experienced and done lots of stuff like this, agreed and ordered the timber.

Wednesday 6 July:

Builder appeared at 0700 with a brew in his hand and spent the next hour explaining exactly what was going to happen, which impressed me though I do know him. He removed the all the lights and the rest of the boards to see what he was up against, and seemed to figure it was a straightforward job. A couple of props were installed and joists removed, mainly to measure up what sort of space was going to be gained. I wasn't to impressed here as it seemed an awful amount of work for not a great amount of lift, though he reckoned it would be OK. He was continuing with joist removal when the timber arrived, which meant he could get the strengthening beams in, mainly the ridge and the end supports. A massive day, but he left me worried about it all falling down overnight, though he assured me it was fine. Incidentally, the ends of the joist have been left in-situ as apparently the fascia boards are fixed to them.

Thursday 7 July:

Back again at 0700 with the customary brew, he spent another half hour chatting and explaining what he was going to be doing, which was mainly putting all the cross beams in and then panelling it out. What impressed me here was the speed and accuracy of the cutting of timber. This took the best part of the day as all the new wiring had to be put into place as well, including the Cat 5 cable for the back room.

Friday 8 July:

With all the woodwork now finished it was a day of electrical connections. I stayed out of the way for this, but the guy who did it has done all my electrical work in my last two houses, so I trust him implicitly. He moans and swears a lot, but he's good at what he does. It was decided without any consultation with me, that I needed more power sockets in the garage, also new strip lights even though the old ones were fine. I wasn't consulted on this, but just had to go along with it. The lights are now 5' LEDs (4 of them) and are unbelievably bright, so I'm impressed. Everything was wired into the new consumer unit and connected up, apart from the 16 amp socket for the ramp, as we had no idea where this wanted to be until it arrived. Everything was completed by around 3 o'clock so the next hour was spent tidying up and bagging stuff for the tip.

At just gone 4, the ramp arrived on a wagon. It was all on one pallet, so it was just a case of wheeling it off and getting it into the garage. We were lucky here as we got it set up the right way round, I really wouldn't have fancied having to swap ends around due to the weight of the bases. We stripped it off the pallet and manoeuvred it into something like the position it was going to live in and then decided that was enough for the day. Nothing happened over the weekend as I was going away to the Warrington meet, and he doesn't work them. I did a couple of little bits on Monday but Tuesday was the finishing off day.

Tuesday 12 July:

All the hydraulics were now plumbed in loosely, just to see how it would look, and when my mate arrived this was one job less to do. I'd also had time to do some more measuring and decided that the whole lot needed to go back a bit further. This was achieved with a big bar and a trolley jack. Once in place, all connections were checked, the electrics wired in and hydraulic oil put in to the tank. We then decided on a quick test to make sure it was running OK. Nothing. Turned out that the two limit switch plugs were in the wrong sockets. This was my job and I failed. :( Pressed the button again when they were corrected and all was well, in that it started lifting, or at least one side did. Took it up and down a few times and it was still a bit uneven as the system was full of air, so read the instruction book and found out how to bleed it. After this all seemed well, so topped the oil up and checked again a couple of times with a level between the platforms. All was good, so it was now a case of bolting it to the floor. After another final measure it was just a case of drilling a few holes and using the anchor bolts supplied. Another quick up and down confirmed that everything was spot on and level.

It was now just a case of fitting the covers over the piping to tidy it up, though this proved to be a major problem as the ones which the supplier sent would not fit over the mass of pipework coming out of each platform. We couldn't see anyway round this, there were just too many joints for them to sit over, so I ended up phoning the supplier who admitted that these were a new addition to the kit and they hadn't used them before. Previous versions came without these ends, which seemed logocal as the ramp leading to the platform covers them. However, my mate decided to "customise" them, so attacked them with an angle grinder, paring them down until they were a snug fit. To me this was unnecessary, though I must admit they do look better in place. The control box was then sited in a corner out of the way and all pipework and electrics were tidied and also covered up to finish the job.

It's now up and running, and I've already used it on the Merc, just for cleaning it up, and the Jeep to swap the rear shocks out, though I need some bigger blocks for the Jeep as the supplied ones are a bit too low at only 40mm.

It was suggested on my original thread that the best way of doing this would be to remove the roof and raise the walls which I would have liked to have done but it just wouldn't look right in the area where the garage is situated. I've had to compromise slightly on height, though I can physically get under both cars now in relative comfort, and it's certainly better than messing with jacks and axle stands, and do any job which I'm capable of. This limits the usage considerably as I'm getting older and less agile.

As for cost, before anyone asks I've absolutely no idea. I've not got any bills yet, but it's worth it to me whatever it is as I now have a place to play on those long nights ahead. :)

ETA: It should all be getting painted next week, just not had time...

Last edited:
Looks good Dave

You missed out drinking on the 9th July and Warrington Meet on the 10th July stopped play! :thumb::D

What you do need now are some lights low on the garage wall to help illuminate underneath!

A great ending Dave.

Glad all went to plan. How very nice to hear a builder starting at 7am. Great working practice he has there.

Hope you enjoy many hours in the garage with your new toy.

Ant. :thumb:

Man has a need, man think, man plan, man rope in experience, man make it happen, man well happy.

Excellent write up Dave, I can see you happy doing "manstuff" for many hours in there. Excellent.

Nice lift. What fail safe does it have should, say, a line burst?

Cheers guys, light not really needed Steve as I ain't going to be under the middle, just at the sides where the LEDs are just fine. I purposely didn't mention the weekend which was a write off for any work. :D

Ant & John: It's set up now to play in, hours of endless messing about getting nothing done really, but that's what I want...

Nice lift. What fail safe does it have should, say, a line burst?

Twin double action rams per side. I looked at the ones with the air locking, but it meant tying an airline up constantly so I decided hydraulics were the simplest way.

What's the details on the lift? I could do with something like that in my garage.

What's the details on the lift? I could do with something like that in my garage.

It's THIS ONE. I appreciate the fact that there are other companies, also different styles, though this company had a lot of good write ups on most forums which I wander round, and the product was also well thought of. It was also nice to phone them up and be able speak to a human who understood my needs as well. It runs on 240v, though does need a 16 amp feed. They also do a three phase model if you're lucky enough to have it.

I can get the Mercedes over it with ease, even though it is quite low, and when it's parked it takes up barely any room, probably 2 - 3 inches either side, which makes a handy step for cleaning the roof. :)

Ta, I'll take a look into it. 16A no problem, I already have that for compressor/welder/plasma cutter.

Great project - thanks for sharing!

Great job done just the extra lights and the floor to be painted and job done.
Wish i could do like wise but i have so much garden furniture in there in the winter months.
Hopefully i can find that extra space if and when we next move.

Can I book a service please.....lol

Oh, and Paul did a fantastic job on my Omega, thanks for the link.....

Can I book a service please.....lol

I hate working on cars Brian, took me around 4 hours today just to swap one front strut on the Jeep. Everything seized solid so what should have been a simple job turned into a nightmare. I've got the other side to do tomorrow. :mad:

Oh, and Paul did a fantastic job on my Omega, thanks for the link.....

Glad you got it sorted, as far as I'm concerned he's the best in the UK on the f300, just getting hold of him is the problem...

Dave

I have the Automotech 7530 and the thing to be careful of (because my ceiling height does not permit me to raise the lift to its maximum capability) is that it raises about 40mm. to release the ratchets on lowering.

Hence I use a "telltale" for height stop but I suppose it would be possible to have an electrical "stop" fitted.

Is your lift the same?

Mic

Hi Mic, no, mine's the 7230A and it has no clicky bits, just two rams per side.

This means I can lift it within a couple of mm of maximum height and bring it straight back down again. It does have an auto stop for full height, though this could be amended to come into play at any time I suppose. Having said that, both cars a very different height wise so I'd have to adjust for each car. It's always the bonnet which is going to be the first thing to catch, and I have a light with a plastic diffuser directly over this so, as long as I'm observant, theoretically it should be fine. Only caught the light once so far with the Jeep, and no damage to either. :)

Any reason you went for a scissor not a 4 post lift? I reckon a single phase "hobby" 4 poster would go in a treat.
Could I enquire as to a ball park figure for costs as I need to do exactly the same!

Last edited:
I looked at the 4 post ramps, but with being limited on width it was deemed impractical as the posts would make access difficult. There's also a door at the bottom end of the garage which a post would have blocked, so it was a no go really. A two poster was also considered, but the floor isn't really up to it, and I would have struggled to get out of the car and also walk down the side of it.

Another reason I went for a scissor was that I wanted a wheel free ramp, which has paid dividends the in last few days when I swapped all the suspension out on the Jeep. Not only that, but when a car is parked over it, you don't even notice it's there, at ground level it just gives you a little step at either side so you can access the car roof easier for cleaning or whatever.

Sorry, forgot you were asking for prices. I wish that was the total cost as posted above. ;)

Absolutely no idea what the rest of the building costs are going to be, still waiting for a bill, though looking at the stuff that's gone into it, like all the electricals and timber, it won't be cheap. I can't even get the VAT back as it's not exactly a legitimate business expense...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom