Near miss!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
This morning I had a very near miss that could have resulted in a Astra max van hitting me in the side at 40mph. I dropped my daughter at school and was parked in a layby. I indicated to leave the layby and wanted to do a U turn as we do every day. Duly a car coming along behind me stopped, presumably to take my place in the layby, and let me out.

I checked my mirrors, no bikes, no pedestrians, just a line of traffic behind the car that wanted to take my space. I pulled away in a " u" and out of the corner of my eye saw something moving very fast. I nailed the brakes and even though I only just got going, and so wasnt going fast, the car did its full ABS, Brake assist emergency stop thing and stopped my car dead. (brakes done last week, thank goodness). I then was sat stationery at 90 degrees to the line of traffic for a grandstand view of a white astra van, wheels fully locked up, steering not working heading straight for me. Because I'd stopped SO quickly I was out of his way by about 3 inchs. He sailed right in front of me fully locked up.

Unbelievably he had approached the line of traffic queing to let me out and thought that over taking a whole line of traffic without slowing down was a good idea as it would save him a whole 10 seconds.

Had I not had a car capable of stopping as they can I may not be writing this now.

That is the third time ABS brake assist has saved me from an accident. The other two occasions were once on a roundabout when a metro was indicating and driving to an exit and then at the last sec swerved in front of me to stay on the round about! The best ever one was a taxi moving from the inside lane of an empty motorway to the outside lane without any notice or reason, unless the driver had fallen asleep . I did an emergency full ABS Brake assist stop from a very high speed to nearly stationery which left me shaking!

NB. NCAP doesnt allow for things like Brake assist but awards stars for things like a seat belt buzzer. Brake assist has now protected me 3 times from getting into the accident that NCAP measures.

That's why we buy Merc's, for those little extras that make all the difference to your "Life".

Good reactions help too.

it's nice to see the brakes worked as they should.

but......

had the guy in the Astra van hit you I suspect that in the eys of the law the person doing a U turn would be the one who was held responsible.

sadly, you can't legislate for stupidity and astra van drivers nearly all fall into that category.

Me? knowing just how chaotic things are outside schools I'd never pull away like you did :)

Andy

Andy

Is it illegal to do U turns when the traffic stops for you? I doubt I'll U turn there again but I was in control of vehicle, had a clear view ahead and behind, had checked over my shoulder and in the mirrors and proceeded slowly ie. less than 10mph to turn the car. I wasnt handbrake turning the car in front of moving traffic. It is hard to legislate for an Astramax beaming in at mach 2. Because its a school layby everyone should be going slowly and many cars U turn out of the layby everday with no problem.

andy_k said:
it's nice to see the brakes worked as they should.

but......

had the guy in the Astra van hit you I suspect that in the eys of the law the person doing a U turn would be the one who was held responsible.

sadly, you can't legislate for stupidity and astra van drivers nearly all fall into that category.

Me? knowing just how chaotic things are outside schools I'd never pull away like you did :)

Andy

Andy

R2D2 said:
Is it illegal to do U turns when the traffic stops for you?
Highway Code rule 135: "Move off only when it is safe to do so."

That's what you would have been done for, they don't take into account how fast other cars are going or whether someone has "let you out" or not (which there is no mention of in the highway code AFAIK so therefore it doesn't exist :rolleyes: ). The highway code bears very little resemblence to real driving, but sadly it's what they use to decide who was wrong.

R2D2 said:
Nice to know I'm in the wrong!
My sister was done for a similar thing, someone drove into her while they were overtaking a car that was turning into a junction, dispite the fact that they were almost definitely speeding AND overtaking at a junction, my sister was done for "driving without due care and attention" because she had just pulled out of a junction herself and you should "Move off only when it is safe to do so." :rolleyes:

Shude said:
Highway Code rule 135: "Move off only when it is safe to do so."

That's what you would have been done for, they don't take into account how fast other cars are going or whether someone has "let you out" or not (which there is no mention of in the highway code AFAIK so therefore it doesn't exist :rolleyes: ). The highway code bears very little resemblence to real driving, but sadly it's what they use to decide who was wrong.

Except the Highway Code isn't law.

:bannana:

The main thing is you're OK - nothing else matters!! Must have made your heart skip too. Glad you are OK.

Cheers Pammy!!! I'm fine thankyou. My daughter was on the pavement watching it happen and she rung me to check I was OK.

Before anyone asks, yes I did use a hands free and didnt hold the phone whilst driving!

R2D2 said:
Before anyone asks, yes I did use a hands free and didnt hold the phone whilst driving!
the whole incident was probably caused by the van driver NOT using a hands-free kit in the first place!

Jeremy Clarkson reckons you can forget your Ferraris Lambos et al, coz the fastest thing on the road in real life is an Astramax Van!!!

I wasn't having a go at you and am also glad you are OK.

However, there is always another point of view, let's look at this one from the Astra drivers take on things

"I was driving along the road this morning, 30 mph zone with good road conditions, there were a couple of cars parked on the nearside including one that was double parked, as there was nothing coming the other way I went to overtake it. At this point some idiot in a Mercedes decided to do a U turn right across the front of me!!!!"

Of course I could just be playing devils advocate here :)

Andy

R2D2 said:
Jeremy Clarkson reckons you can forget your Ferraris Lambos et al, coz the fastest thing on the road in real life is an Astramax Van!!!

mine is... its about to have dropped in a 2.5 V6 engine - 200 BHP ish replacing the 180 bhp 16v 2L injection lump - 'cos a maserati bi-turbo beat us (at 130 mph....)

tee hee..

see what I mean, photos please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom