New Car-Detailing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Intending to keep the car for a good while so thought it a good investment but yes it isnt cheap.

Hopefully the PPF and crystal serum will protect it a little from the flies!

Can’t wait to get it out on the road now if I’m honest. Thanks for all the comments and hope the pictures and updates were of interest?

Looks fantastic.. Let's see it in 6 months time, before and after you clean it?

Isn’t the PPF a waste of money as when the time comes to sell it small stone chips will hardly detract from the value at all? The largest loss of value will be depreciation which happens regardless?

I agree if you are only intending to keep the car a couple of years but I would like to keep it nice for several and the PPF will certainly help with that.

Prevention is better than cure I'd say. It is alot to spend on protection I'd say but when you go to compare your front end in a few years with an identical one without the protection I think there will be a significant difference.
Then if you like, if it discoloured etc. Just peel it off and your car looks brand spanking again. :)

Isn’t the PPF a waste of money as when the time comes to sell it small stone chips will hardly detract from the value at all? The largest loss of value will be depreciation which happens regardless?

Agree - that is the thought process I had when my car was new. I don't drive up the @rse of other cars and stone chips have never been a concern for me. My wife's car is now 4 years old and has one tiny chip on the front - she too does not drive up the @rse of other cars.

My view is that if I keep the car long enough for the inevitable chips to bother me, I will get a respray.

Regarding ceramic coatings - I don't believe most of the hype - my car was dirty so I went to the local coin operated pressure washer just to give it a rinse off (just water from the pressure washer no rubbing) and was pleasantly surprised at how well the the dirt came off, the water is still beading and how good it looks as I last treated it before winter. I use 'Carlak 68' (abrasive free polish) & 'Carlack LongLife' (sealant). However to be honest, I have been looking at some DIY ceramics to see how they compare to the Carlack in terms of making it easier to keep the car clean.

My son just had a "6 month" ceramic treatment done on his new E53 AMG Coupe (daily driver) and has not washed it since then (about 6 weeks ago) so I'm interested to see how it looks when he hits it with a pressure washer!

Hi just got my first Mercedes C63S Estate White) it has PPF on whole of front including front wings, black side skirt inserts and boot lip. It’s been with the guy who does my detailing so is getting full new car prep with Gtechniq, including glass and wheels (which he has to take off) I’ll share some photos at the weekend... it’s a good choice PPF and usually comes with a long warranty. The price you mentioned for the front end is bang on too...

Some questions then.....

What is the purpose of PPF? [Does it substitute wax/ceramic coatings]?
What is the difference between PPF and a vinyl wrap?
If (when) PPF is penetrated (say on the bonnet) by stone chips etc...do you have to do the whole panel all over again? (You don't have to "drive up the ****" of another vehicle to get stone chips either).
How does PPF cope with road rash etc down the side of the car and on its wheel arches?
How does PPF cope with close proximity to heat (IE: exhausts).

I had a quote recently for a respray of my blue chromaflair on the front bumper/front wings/bonnet/rear bumper including replacement of all logos/badges: £1800 inc vat. Cheaper than PPF, it seems. (and he is known to be expensive).

So my last question is: Would anyone PPF a second hand vehicle?

Had CL done October 2016 by Ed of Divine Detail fame with Kamikaze treatment and is still looking great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom