New E63 Estate - Thoughts and Q's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It'll either be some sort of product applied to the windscreen or time for new wipers. Try cleaning it with glass cleaner and if there's no improvement get new wipers.

Try cleaning with a good quality glass cleaner. Rained caused wiper judder on my wife's a class, but not my own car, so I cleared it using a clay mitt I had and reapplied it, then it was ok.

Thanks chaps - I'll try a clean and possibly some rain X, then wipers if needed.

Cracking car you have there. It seems like there has been a spate of 213 E63 purchases and enquiries lately. Keep them coming 👍

As Shaun touched on above, make sure you have the stalk pushed forward and the adaptive HighBeam system will do the clever stuff.

19's will improve the tyre noise, as I've mentioned on previous threads I didn't notice a noise issue until I put on some 19" winter wheels/tyres and it did make a difference. Not that the original 20's with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s' bother me anyway.

It's possibly a sheen of whatever the windows were cleaned with last. This happens to mine just after I've cleaned the windscreen and applied some RainX, it stops after using the wipers for a little while. Maybe try cleaning the windscreen with a suitable cleaner. Are your blades in decent condition?

Thanks for the compliment! Yes I have seen a number of posts pop up. Hopefully there can be some good info sharing and a build up of knowledge here on the forum.

Hi All

Picked up a 2018 W213 E63 estate yesterday. Wow, what a monster this car is. As I read, the engine and sound totally dominates the experience. The noise is immense in gear under load in sport plus.

I am impressed with the design and features, coming from a current 5 series and this being my first Mercedes. Their design seems to be much more creative and the approach seems on many fronts to be from a difference angle, which is refreshing and interesting. The interior is fantastic as are the comfort seats. Masses of space in the rear.

The lift mode on the air suspension gives good ground clearance and my previous worries about clearing small bumps on gravel tracks are not a problem. A very useful feature.

My initial queries are:

1. How does one know if the car has the Adaptive High Beam Plus function - the one that maintains the high beam and blacks out other cars by turning off individual cars etc. I have the premium plus package, and the lights do a very fancy dance when turning the car on at night. Are there any settings for these lights or do you just leave them on auto all of the time?

Sounds like the adaptive high beam assist. Push the stalk forward for full auto function. Its a great option for pressing on in the dark, however I find a lot of people still flashing at me on unlit roads when I use it, presumably because its too bright or isn't quite 100% effective at not dazzling other drivers.

2. Tyres and Road noise on 20's - wow it is noisy on rough surfaces, but quiet on smooth tarmac. I really would like to improve on this as I think it will drive me mad long term. The current tyres are Pirelli P Zero, they are marked with an MO1, but I cannot see a RFT or RSC mark. Are these OEM run flats, and therefore don't haver the usual RFT marker? If they are run flats I will change to non-run flats and get an inflation kit. If they are not I may have to go down to 19s. Are the Pirellis particularly noisy tyres?

Not to descend this into another tyre thread, but there is lots of stuff written about this all over the forum. Personally I think its people with ideas above their station whining about the cost of owning a very expensive car. If you want big toys, you need big batteries so to speak. I think the performance run flats if fitted are marked with SSR on MO spec.

I have 21's and run Michelin PS4s in the summer, and Conti Wintercontact 840s in the winter. No juddering or skipping problems. The Pirelli's are not suitable in my opinion. Don't be tight or silly enough to think summer tyres will work on a 600hp car in a wet cold UK winter, buy a second set of wheels and tyres for the winter, its expensive but worth it.

3. There is a rattle from the rear seat / roller parcel shelf area when going over bumps. Is this common? Any other info on rattles? I will take it into the dealer to be fixed either way I think. I assume rattles would be fixed under warranty?

Thanks!

The dealer will certainly address rattles if you can clearly describe and demonstrate them. But make sure the roller unit is clicked into place properly, its easy to get it into the locating slot but it requires a firm push to lock it in properly. If it still squeaks, The dealer put small piece of trim felt at the pin end on my C Class to stop the roller unit rubbing on the side trim, worked a treat.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the help.

I have options 628 Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus and 641 LED Intelligent Light System - high-performance headlamps, so I guess I have the full all singing all dancing headlights?

Thanks

Remember to push the Light Stalk fully forward until the Blue Light Illuminates, then forget about having to adjust your Lights! 😁

Sounds like the adaptive high beam assist. Push the stalk forward for full auto function. Its a great option for pressing on in the dark, however I find a lot of people still flashing at me on unlit roads when I use it, presumably because its too bright or isn't quite 100% effective at not dazzling other drivers.

Not to descend this into another tyre thread, but there is lots of stuff written about this all over the forum. Personally I think its people with ideas above their station whining about the cost of owning a very expensive car. If you want big toys, you need big batteries so to speak. I think the performance run flats if fitted are marked with SSR on MO spec.

I have 21's and run Michelin PS4s in the summer, and Conti Wintercontact 840s in the winter. No juddering or skipping problems. The Pirelli's are not suitable in my opinion. Don't be tight or silly enough to think summer tyres will work on a 600hp car in a wet cold UK winter, buy a second set of wheels and tyres for the winter, its expensive but worth it.

The dealer will certainly address rattles if you can clearly describe and demonstrate them. But make sure the roller unit is clicked into place properly, its easy to get it into the locating slot but it requires a firm push to lock it in properly. If it still squeaks, The dealer put small piece of trim felt at the pin end on my C Class to stop the roller unit rubbing on the side trim, worked a treat.
I fully agree about tyres. To expect a tyre to provide optimal performance in all conditions is unrealistic.

Sounds a fantastic car, makes me feel a little green with envy.
On my S205 I had the rear roller shelf rattle but make a quick simple cure. From rear left passenger Seat check to see that the roller Uni is locked in and no red warning showing. If it is press down the release button push the unit back a little then slam it forward to lock. If it still rattles remove the roller shelf then wrap insulation tape around the sliver lock keep. I had some self adhesive felt left from fixing the notorious W205 centre console rattle so used this. Refit and all should be silent. I will add a picture of my fix shortly. Hope this helps. It’s far less time consuming than phoning up the dealer and is probably what they would do to solve the issue.

Sorry to cause confusion. Having taken photos I now remember. I thought the roller shelf was the rattle problem, which it is if not fully latched, but the problem turned out to be the rear seat catch/keep. It’s the seat latch that I taped and all is now rattle free.
Sorry for the confusion I was trying to remember a fix I did 4 years ago.

Hi Guys, thanks for the suggestions and advice.

It turns out the rattle is from around the rear sunroof area, if you press the headlining in that area it goes away, so into the dealer for a fix it goes!

Completely agree on the thoughts on tyres. I am going to go to 19's with PS4S for the summer, and winters in November time. I will post on results from 20's to 19's with regards to ride comfort as I know a few others are querying this.

Oh, and what a display the headlights put on at night. Really incredible how these behave and react to other cars and different situations!

Okay - another query - I hope there no problem in me jotting down thoughts etc here...

The wipers are quite sticky (jumping across the screen) when wiping the screen in partial dry/wet conditions. Any remedies?

Try cleaning the blades using WD40.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Oh, and what a display the headlights put on at night. Really incredible how these behave and react to other cars and different situations!
You probably haven't noticed it just yet, but they will also move away or whatever they do so that you dont get dazzled by road signs, like speed limit change signs for example

Bloody summer lol. Need to find a night time to put mine to the test

So, a quick update on the wheel and tyre situation. I’ve now had a set of 19ks finished in OEM matte black and fitted with PS4s’. The ride and general refinement is quite a bit better. Cracked roads and small bumps where the 20’s would crash, don’t anymore and I get a nice deadened sound instead. A bit quieter too. I think the improvement is down to three things. 1) More sidewall, 2) A softer better riding tyre than the pzero I had previously, 3) the tyres being new and having more ’meat’ on them. I also suspect the unsprung weight has reduced a little too.

I also have to say I much prefer the look of the 19’s with a bit more sidewall showing. This is the best upgrade yet and has made the car liveable long term, where previously I couldnt stand the crashiness.

Go to 19’s if you want better ride!

I have 20" multi spokes shod with PS3 ZP Acoustics 245 35 & 275 30 and don't find road noise or ride bad at all.

Admittedly it isn't a 63 but at 340 PS and 700 Nm it is no slouch either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom