New Michelin tire leaking air

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a shop install two new Michelin Primacy 4 in the front of my W124 yesterday. On the way back home i checked the pressure and the right one was a little on the low side. Drove the car today and after a few kms of city driving i noticed it was steering itself to the right once i was out of the stop and go traffic. Got out of the car and the tyre was almost flat. I put 2.7 bar in it at the first station but noticed the sidewall is now damaged and there's a buldge... How is this possible? It is wet and i can hear the sound of air coming out of the tire but can't identify where it comes from. If the rim is the problem, why did they install the tyre without notifying me first? If they don't admit their fault and blame it on the rim, i'm going to have to buy a new tyre...
Had similar with my W176, took it to kwikfit for a slow puncture, it turned out to be a problem with the rim sealing edge they cleaned it up, and it's been fine since. They recommended getting the rims refurbished.

It would be nigh on impossible to damage the wheel with a tyre machine. I've only ever seen this happen once, breaking a bead on a 21" run flat low profile that suddenly released.

Most likely, a problem with the valve. (Should be replaced every tyre change)
Possibly corrosion that was ok but disturbed on fitting the new tyre (most likely would have seen this when cleaning up the bead and used sealer.
Knock on balance weights can sometimes cause a leak.
Sometimes the bead of the tyre can get damaged by clumsy fitting, but assuming it's a standard size W124 tyre you can pretty much fit them by hand.

I have to ask, if you heard a leak before using them, why did you use them?
Also check some more guides about tire pressures at Tesla Model Y Tire Pressure 【Correct PSI & KPA】 - Nerdy Car
I would squirt some soap around to try to find the leak, maybe record it on your phone and then head back and see what they say.
Once the leak is identified, I would suggest returning to the tire shop and presenting the findings to them. It's important to communicate the issue calmly and objectively, sharing the recorded evidence if necessary. This will allow the tire shop to assess the situation and provide a suitable resolution, such as repairing the leak, replacing the tire, or addressing any other underlying problems that may have caused the damage.

Or just ask them to fit a new valve...

Or just ask them to fit a new valve...
As it was a 2022 post, I imagine that is what he did!🤣
Once the leak is identified, I would suggest returning to the tire shop and presenting the findings to them. It's important to communicate the issue calmly and objectively, sharing the recorded evidence if necessary. This will allow the tire shop to assess the situation and provide a suitable resolution, such as repairing the leak, replacing the tire, or addressing any other underlying problems that may have caused the damage.
In the 11 months that have passed since the OP posted, I imagine that it has been sorted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom