New Shockers Required?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fred_raven

Car
2010 s350 cdi
Hi guys - had my W210 (1998) for nearly 2 years done 127000 now (72000 when i got it). Its getting to the point where even a smallish pothole causes a very audible Klonk so guess its time to replace shock absorbers - car is an Elegance model so not sports shockers requires - i guess. Any recomendations and ideas of costs, are they easy to change yourself ? thanks in advance for all the help thats going to come flooding in - as usual :)

Actually it's more likely to be the anti-roll bar drop links or bottom wishbone ball joints. Both easy and cheap to replace DIY. Start by replacing the drop links (about £8 each). If that doen't cure it the replace the ball joints (about £9 each IIRC). Only start to consider shocks if those two don't cure it.

Ditto..

The shockers generally won't clonk, they just make the car go bouncy.

Shocks for standard setup are easy to get on ebay.co.uk or ebay.de or ebay.com.
Avantgarde ones are like rocking horse doo..doo.

For longevity stick to sachs/boge or bilstien or KYB.

thanks guys - sounds like it might not be as expensive as i first thought :) will check out yr sugeestions this weekend

Good Morning Fred,
I had a go at the drop links just before Christmas . Easy to get at etc, I just couldn't undo the Torx screws/bolts. I snapped two Torx bits. I have soaked them in release agent nearly every day this week and having a go tomorrow. I will let you know how I got on.

Merc 808

Some of the guys here have suggested using Coke to loosen tight bolts, see what it can do. :)

How much for a couple of grams?

nigel cross said:
Some of the guys here have suggested using Coke to loosen tight bolts, see what it can do. :)

How much is the going rate for a couple of grams these days ?

Only Joking !!!! Yes I saw that about glow plugs and injectors. If plus gas doesn't work I'll try the coke. As Peter Kays says will " Rola Cola " do ?

Merc808

Merc808 said:
Good Morning Fred,
I had a go at the drop links just before Christmas . Easy to get at etc, I just couldn't undo the Torx screws/bolts. I snapped two Torx bits. I have soaked them in release agent nearly every day this week and having a go tomorrow. I will let you know how I got on.

Merc 808

Whack the end of the bolt with a hammer. Ths bash should shock the thread enough to let go.
Failing that use an impact driver on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom