New Tyres- Mitchelin are definately quieter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yachtman

Car
clk 320cdi
Just had a new set 245 40 17s and 225 45 for the clk, michelin premacy hp MO fit. 570.00

noticealy quieter than the contis as originally fitted.

Iv got Mich's on my C, & they handle well,pleased i spent that tiny bit extra to get them.

noticealy quieter than the contis as originally fitted.

That because there new and your comparing them to old conti's???
Tyres tend get noisier as they get older. Find them to be the same when new.

Agreed with PRC although Michelin 's can be really noisy when worn

Tyres tend get noisier as they get older.

You are quite right and this is because the thick tread on new tyres act as a 'damper' for the 'ringing' in the tyre. Flick a high pressure tyre and you will see what I mean! This is very evident on coarse surfaces when old tyres will be great deal noisier than new tyres.
All tyres behave slightly differently but all follow this basic princple. I know from first hand experience that Conti SportContact2 really get quite noisy when worn.;)

Tyres tend get noisier as they get older. Find them to be the same when new.

well I thought the contis were noisy from new, and if anything got slightly quieterin middle life.

perhaps it is a very subjective item.

Possibly, was just asking ..:)

In my experience conti SC 3 and michelin PS2 find them to be about the same in terms of noise. Like the SC3 best, because I tend to buy based on wet handling, find themto be much better in that field. Trade off dry handling and durability. TBH would buy either again (depending on price).

I have 2 Conti Sport contact 2 or is it 3's on the front and they're pretty damn noisy if you ask me. Lots of rubber. Very deep treads. 225/40 18's.

This reminds me, tomorrow I must check the tyre pressures and adjust accordingly.

Out of interest, does anyone have any opinions about very very very quiet tyres for when my rears need replacing? I don't think I could concentrate with 4 Conti SP3's on my car.

Noisey tyres

I Also Agree Michelin 's can be noisy when worn.:(
Tich

I've recently had both Pirelli PZero Rosso and Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (235/40ZR18-95Y) on the front of the S210, and still have Pirelli PZero Rosso Mo (265/35R18-97Y) on the rear.

I found the Pirelli quietest, smoothest and most comfortable ride, but the Michelin have very much better grip, particularly in the wet. (Btw I've often found Continental to use a particularly hard rubber compound, and Dunlop to wear out fast)

Now these are new tyres, I had to change the front Pirelli PZR for the Michelin PS3 because the monkeys had fitted the wrong size to the front, 245/40 do not fit on the front this car, they foul the arches. Plus I'd had a couple of 'moments' with the Pirellis under braking, and steering in the wet: the dry steering also felt rather heavy and vague. The Michelin PS3 fronts are absolutely sure footed wet or dry.

The Pirellis on the back have only let go once on a wet bendy hill, causing the ESP to light up the dash like a Christmas tree. Despite my lead-foot problem the car just self-corrected and stayed on course like it was on rails. This is reassuring because I have had problems with Pirellis in the past on other cars (throwing tread off carcass; snapping a tyre band), but this is probably the last time I shall ever buy a set of them (I said that last time too). I have used Michelin sets in the past too and have never had any issues with them at all, they stick to the road like glue and they wear well. I can drive on Michelin in the confidence that they will not let go when you need them, sadly not so the Pirelli. ymmv

The Michelin PS3's are fantastic tyres - wet or dry.

Just switched my rears from Michelin to Kumho - can't tell the difference in terms of noise. Feel they handle better - but then new 8mm v old 2mm would wouldn't it..:D

Bank account feels a great difference.

I don't think I'll be in a hurry to put budget tyres on a motor that can spin the wheels at 60mph.

When I got the car it had a set of budget rubbish on it, it got exciting a couple of times.

I make a point of staying clear of the scenery. If my passengers can feel me braking then I'm doing it wrong, that sort of thing. I don't want them in an untidy heap on the floor, screaming, making the upholstery dirty, brown trousers etc. Two things I insist on being perfect: brakes, tyres and steering, oh that's three isn't it.

Hi , i have Pirelli pzero's on my E320 sport, 265/35 back and 245/40 on front i think, anyway there pretty new probably done about 2k, they were on the car when i bought her and i'v got to stick my two cents worth in and say the road noise is horrendous above 50mph, so bad in fact i'm actually looking to replace them even though there as good as new. I actually thought i may have had a dodgy wheel bearing but its the tyres winning away. Not sure which brand to go for next but one thing for sure it won't be pirelli's. And totally agree with previous comments about new tyres no matter what make they always feel far better than the old worn out end of life tyres your replacing them with..

isojet....

I can recomend Michelin Supersports!

Grip is fantastic in the dry and in a league of their own in the wet.

Noise is not a problem at all up to 120, can't say I do much more than that so can't coment on higher speeds.

Only downside (to some) is the price, however this is Michelins top of the range tyre so it's up to you.

Full set on an E320 sport in 18" is around £925 fitted, 19" is around £1075

Just a general note... when replacing one brand with another it is difficult to tell how the two compare - the older tyres would have been worn and therefore gradually over time their performance deteriorated, noise level went up, etc. Few people get an opportunity to properly compare different tyres make or models i.e. by having a brand new tyre set replaced with another brand new set.

isojet....

Noise is not a problem at all up to 120, can't say I do much more than that so can't coment on higher speeds.

Only downside (to some) is the price, however this is Michelins top of the range tyre so it's up to you.

sounds promising mine are being fitted today !:D

Just a general note... when replacing one brand with another it is difficult to tell how the two compare - the older tyres would have been worn and therefore gradually over time their performance deteriorated, noise level went up, etc. Few people get an opportunity to properly compare different tyres make or models i.e. by having a brand new tyre set replaced with another brand new set.

Definitely agree with above statement. Might be a personal thing but after trying a few sets of tyres (michelin PS2, Bridgestone RE050A, Goodyear F1-gs3, yokohama advan sport and a couple of others I can't remember) end up always going back to the conti SC3. In my personal opinion best combination of traction in wet and comfort.

Rubber deterates but very slowly and perfectly safe until the tyre is approx. 8 years old, dependant on manufacture. In wet conditions I agree a tyre with 8mm will provide more grip with less noise but will provide less feel of the road, but in the dry they will have less feel and grip than a tyre with 2mm. . .

isojet....

Yes i have them on the rear of the CL,highly recommended. I'm waiting for the fronts to wear out, although i have PS3's on the front which are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom