Newbie - Considering E class - opinions wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TurboBen

Car
E53 Coupe
Hi all, newbie here.

I'm in the market for a new car and had a few questions I hope you can help with.

Bit of a back story so you know where I'm coming from. I'm in an old Astra at the moment after selling my RS3 saloon last year. Basicly took voluntary redundancy in October last year when my company was looking at reducing staff due to Covid and needed the money as I wanted to retire (I'm 42). Had another change in circumstances since then and will soon be in a position to look at a new car again.

I've been looking at a few cars, all German. One is the new e53 coupe, but I'm having trouble with the configurator getting the spec I want. A sunroof is a must for me, but when I add it to the configuration it adds a load of other stuff I don't want. Not wanting to offend anyone that has it, but the carbon fibre trim is a deal breaker for me. When I add the black ash trim, it removes the sunroof. Am I missing something? Also, many of the reviews I have seen online have had cooled seats with an air scarf, but I can't see the options for this. Are we not allowed this in the UK?

Lastly, I took out an M340i for a test drive this week, but was really disappointed with the sound, or lack of. After a little digging it appears the EU have introduced new regulations on noise emmisions. Has this affected the new E53 or does it still sound good?

Thanks in advance for any advice / opinions.

Welcome aboard ,I head this before about specing a new Mercedes,but have no first hand knowledge as I have not bought a new car for about 20 years.

I think hat MB moved to a 'package' method of options, rather than individual options; supposedly something to do with having to homolgate all the various permutations under the new emissions tests. Presumably it applies to all models but I don't have personal experience, mine were all under the old system.

I think hat MB moved to a 'package' method of options, rather than individual options; supposedly something to do with having to homolgate all the various permutations under the new emissions tests. Presumably it applies to all models but I don't have personal experience, mine were all under the old system.
@TurboBen Yes, this. Options are grouped into packs (like Premium or Premium Plus for example) - Regarding options you see in car reviews online vs what is actually available for UK cars, Mercedes UK make the decision about which options are offered on UK spec cars, and sometimes they don't always let us have the options available on the same car in other countries.

Ah OK. Seems a bit daft, Audi and BMW will let me add a sunroof without messing up the rest of the spec. On a car that costs upwards of £70000 I want it as I want it, not how MB dictate to me. I've seen a 9 month old pre facelift model that has a sunroof and ash trim, so might have to go that direction instead.

Hi all, newbie here.

I'm in the market for a new car and had a few questions I hope you can help with.

Bit of a back story so you know where I'm coming from. I'm in an old Astra at the moment after selling my RS3 saloon last year. Basicly took voluntary redundancy in October last year when my company was looking at reducing staff due to Covid and needed the money as I wanted to retire (I'm 42). Had another change in circumstances since then and will soon be in a position to look at a new car again.

I've been looking at a few cars, all German. One is the new e53 coupe, but I'm having trouble with the configurator getting the spec I want. A sunroof is a must for me, but when I add it to the configuration it adds a load of other stuff I don't want. Not wanting to offend anyone that has it, but the carbon fibre trim is a deal breaker for me. When I add the black ash trim, it removes the sunroof. Am I missing something? Also, many of the reviews I have seen online have had cooled seats with an air scarf, but I can't see the options for this. Are we not allowed this in the UK?

Lastly, I took out an M340i for a test drive this week, but was really disappointed with the sound, or lack of. After a little digging it appears the EU have introduced new regulations on noise emmisions. Has this affected the new E53 or does it still sound good?

Thanks in advance for any advice / opinions.

I feel your pain, I have been looking through the options regarding another E Class and have been rather disappointed with the lack of models with 4Matic, unless you opt for the upper echelons of E Class, 4Matic appears to be no longer available! :(:confused:

Out of curiosity I tried building an E class cabriolet on both MBUK and MBIE websites.

Given that both U.K. and ROI cars will be homologated for the EU it was truly astounding how many differences I found in the number of options and choices.

One simple example being different wheels, there’s only one option but it comes with Burmester hifi and a pile of other stuff as part of a package. Not much use to me as I’m almost totally deaf so having top quality music isn’t important. Why not just offer the choice?

The same goes for seats, trim, upholstery colours and loads of other items which are completely unavailable to U.K. buyers.

Given that all these cars come down the same assembly line, what are they thinking?

it was like dealing with two different car makers...

Two reasons.

The first, RHD being a smaller market globally than LHD, simplifying the options range helps MB reduce costs.

Then, MB always had some peculiarities relating to what they see as marketing preferences for UK customers. They seem to think that certain options will go well in the UK, and omit those they think won't. My W204, for example, was no longer available in the UK with the Elegance grille and upright bonnet star for MY 2013/2014, only with the sport grille, because apparently MB didn't think that UK customers will want a C-Class with the upright bonnet star. Go figure.

Two reasons.

The first, RHD being a smaller market globally than LHD, simplifying the options range helps MB reduce costs.

Then, MB always had some peculiarities relating to what they see as marketing preferences for UK customers. They seem to think that certain options will go well in the UK, and omit those they think won't. My W204, for example, was no longer available in the UK with the Elegance grille and upright bonnet star for MY 2013/2014, only with the sport grille, because apparently MB didn't think that UK customers will want a C-Class with the upright bonnet star. Go figure.
Ireland is RHD...

if the options exist in another RHD territory, why not let the market decide what it wants to buy? It’s not as though they need to create this extra kit just for us.

Restricting buyer choice is one way to encourage potential customers to look elsewhere, as true in car sales as in many other areas of business.

Correct, in 2018 the EU changed the regs so that new cars had OPF filters added, which mute the noise somewhat on certain cars. It was a primary reason why I bought a car registered in 2017, even though I could have afforded to go newer (and would have preferred the newer electronic dash etc). Well worth getting the older model in my case though.

Without wanting to be rude, I doubt a post MY2018 E53 will sound much different from one built before......

Two reasons.

Then, MB always had some peculiarities relating to what they see as marketing preferences for UK customers.

It's probably just down to the way they manage the marketing.

Much as we might moan about their choices - and the dogma/arbitrariness - there are bucket loads of MBs on the UK roads and driveways.

I wonder if the UK finance/lease and AU market doesn't have some impact as well - cars with option packages are more commodotised to sell new and used.

It's not just MB - which might make you wonder if the 'accepted wisdom' aspect applies as well - with people working in the sector in the UK with the big companies trapped collectively in a mindset as to how the market works.

Ireland is RHD...

if the options exist in another RHD territory, why not let the market decide what it wants to buy? It’s not as though they need to create this extra kit just for us.

Restricting buyer choice is one way to encourage potential customers to look elsewhere, as true in car sales as in many other areas of business.

Not to be beaten up for mentioning Bre8t, but may that be a factor here? :confused: 🤔

Is it still an option to order one on the continent as RHD and import it sensibly?

Exactly this, it's put me off buying a new E53 and made me look at competitors. Sure, one person doesn't make any difference, but I bet I'm not the only one.

It's not just MB

Maybe not, but I've been looking at BMW and Audi, and while they do have some packages, most of the options can be chosen seperately. BMW for example, doesn't remove my sunroof and change the wheels because I select a different interior trim.

Is it still an option to order one on the continent as RHD and import it sensibly?

This is something I would be interested in finding out more about too.

Correct, in 2018 the EU changed the regs so that new cars had OPF filters added, which mute the noise somewhat on certain cars.

I don't think it's just the OPF. The reviews for the M340i were from 2019/2020 and it sounded good. Lots of pops and crackles and "farts" on the upshift. This was all missing from the car I drove and, coming from an RS3, made the car feel soulless.

I came accross the article below from 2019. It refers to AMG specificly which makes me wonder what a new AMG is going to sound like. Explains why many cars are now having fake noise pumped through the speakers and why the new C63 is only going to be a 4 cylinder. Seems a shame really. Petrol cars won't be around for much longer, would have been nice to leave things alone until then.

Member Glojo ordered a new car from Belgium, not sure if he has taken dekivery yet.

I don't think it's just the OPF. The reviews for the M340i were from 2019/2020 and it sounded good. Lots of pops and crackles and "farts" on the upshift. This was all missing from the car I drove and, coming from an RS3, made the car feel soulless.

I came accross the article below from 2019. It refers to AMG specificly which makes me wonder what a new AMG is going to sound like. Explains why many cars are now having fake noise pumped through the speakers and why the new C63 is only going to be a 4 cylinder. Seems a shame really. Petrol cars won't be around for much longer, would have been nice to leave things alone until then.

Yeah I don't disagree, its a crying shame.

Personally speaking when I came back to AMG last year I never even considered one of the 6 cylinder models, i've heard a few C43's and they just sound 'flat'. To be honest I was always going to get a V8 at this point so not really a problem for me and I bought a pre-2018 car specifically to avoid this problem. I know I made the right choice though, there is a black 20 plate C63S coupe on the adjacent road to my house and i've heard the owner revving that from time to time, it certainly sounds more 'muffled' than mine, almost like he's smothered it in a giant pillow lol

This is what stopped me from buying a Merc a few years back now.

I wanted to swap my E350 estate for an E400 or E450, in a nice dark blue or even green and the light interior.

They only offered the 4 cylinder petrol or the E43 and the E43 didn't have any light interior options at all.

So considered the C Class, thought the C250 engine in that made more sense, and as the family car would be fine, but that was more of the same. I wanted the interior ambient lighting, €290 option in Europe, but it only came with a prem plus pack at £3200 which had pano roof that I didn't want and also took it over the £40k bracket.

I don't mind a set menu, but should be able to chose a la carte as well, even if it costs a bit more.

The annoying thing was, all the press shots for UK showed the car how I wanted it, but you couldn't actually order it.

A couple of people on Pistonheads have ordered their car from EU Merc dealers to get the car they actually want.

This was certainly an option as under EU law the manufacturers and dealers were legally obligated to take an order for delivery to another EU member state regardless of the country the dealer was in.

Some dealers tried to make this difficult, others seemed glad of the business.

Now we are no longer members of the EU this may be more problematic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom