Newly painted car advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrishull

Car
c240 w202
As per title, my car is going to have a full respray next month and I'm looking for advice on how to look after the paint. It will be parked overnight on the street and in a works carpark during the day. Am I best just asking the painter what is best?

Ideally I did want to use a cover but I've read this is a no go for a few months

Chris

Well of course ask the spray shop what to do,make sure you ask them if the paint/clear coat is hard,last thing you want is marks when somebody brushes against it,I imagine that will say that you should hand wash it and use a good quality wax.

I've heard you shouldn't wax/seal the paint for a month or so, to allow voc gasses to escape fully, not sure if that's a fact or fiction.

I had a full respray. The lacquer is very soft for a few days, quite soft for a couple weeks, so I wouldn't bother washing it at all. When you do, perfect opportunity for the two bucket method if you can be bothered, but just generally, be cautious of introducing swirl marks, as it'll have none, so they'll all be your fault. :p

Don't wax or apply sealer for at least a month. Even though the paint chemically hardens and in some cases baked, it will still take about a month to fully de-gas. I'd also avoid putting a cover on it during this time. My only advice is to park it away from other cars and idiots who like to swing their doors open onto other cars. Good luck!

As mentioned, don't wash it for like a month.

After this, give it a wash using the two bucket method, and get a decent wax on there (couple of layers), and then maybe sealant.

After a few months, it may be worth applying a ceramic coating.

i think my best bet woud be to find a hinding place off the street for it for the first month so it has time to go off properly?

a little update, hoping to get it back by next weekend

y4mZK7DeF9PjwQuXlfP4Ph_Ofv6YXOCFfrlZWowXxug-KFnjgiKDoCGkpIiztVmeVrcRWB9dAgVVu81kzgw9Y9SdUkVZVWa33xoZbiH__UsORb5Rcls7B-rmlafSip5rSv66KP59w-JMZoL_u5hZzpt9BilLNXAiogxIiNWSfjvg0T6Rn2jnZ4CO1yRu1YLO3EHMPMobuIXk1NZupA1z4sKag

y4mV6wmuSg4ub_QPbLIj9NZEIvWCpxww1pnErs7irOdhHHOx5F0EDQ_MQMEFLqFulAU9NhrsWxBKpL2AnskylAjDJU2blE0g_6qkyCU2bHa66SG1CU3xd_z8TBdIkgBuUZA4mGq6CP_AyYnKLfl4-oRpWb0uwxmTjlgCPdaPELDZUn61aT6wEBIVyjWiRvkJ4vSdSNMmeNM8NtH_RXDxwwIVQ

Just curious - was the respray a general tidy up, or was there dreaded rust to get rid of?

In front of the rear wheels were starting to go plus I had new wings to fit without repeater holes. Plus the odd mark around the car I thought I might as well do it all

Car looks absolutely fabulous! Are you at ease giving us an idea of price?

Silver is the best colour. I’m in no way biased :oops:

it is £1000 :)

it is £1000 :)
That is an excellent price, I was quoted something similar but only for a thorough tidy of all 4 x wheel arches which need a good bit of attention, plus a few body blemishes. I need to take her to a few more bodyshops!

Follow the advice of the paint shop. That way, if there is a problem later then at least you can say you followed their advice.

As far as using a cover is concerned, if you use the car every day then it's a hassle removing it and storing it every day, especially when it's wet. On the other hand, if you don't use the car every day makes sure you get a good quality cover that "breathes", otherwise condensation, mould and possibly rust might become issues later on.

That is one gorgeous car, worth every penny on the paint job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom