Next car: C Class coupe with young family?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The previous owner of my C204 bought and sold it within 3 months because she couldn't handle a 2 door with kids. The main issue is how wide the doors need to open to get in or out of the back. It would be near impossible in a parking space with cars either side.

One of the reasons I got my (old style) coupe was that it's extremely rare for me to have anyone in the back. Getting in and out is not that easy and although there is adequate space once you're in, it's a bit tight. The thing I like least about the car is the long doors - it does make getting in and out at car parks annoying.

That said, it is remarkably practical in other ways. I don't know about the new ones but as this is a hatchback, the boot opening is huge, and with the back seats flat there's a ton of space, not far off an estate. At the same time it's a fun coupe rather than a boring estate :)

But if I needed regular access to the back seats, I'd get something else.

I personally don't think the coupé looks better. I think it looks smart if you're a young single man, but with a mrs and sprogs, get a saloon. A coupés doors are longer too, so less practical in car parks as they have to be opened wider to be able to get in and out.

Also, it's a bit crap having a nice car, and giving adults a lift and having to get out while they clamber into the rear of the car. It's not little hatchback. Get 4 doors ffs! :p

What's putting you off a saloon?

CLK cabrio used as our second / weekend car with 4 year old and 10 year olds. It’s fine. Used for many holidays to France. It’s not our main car but three doors never much of an issue. I’m 6ft2 btw.

Best mate runs a 996 Porsche with similar aged kids. It’s doable!!

I'm in a similar boat, my A Class is due to be changed this year and I'm looking at the C Class as a replacement. I'm a 'young single man' so I seem to fit the bill with regards to the Coupe however even I'm having doubts about the practicality. My A Class is obviously a five door and my Peugeot 208 before was the same so I feel as if I'd be trading down if I went Coupe. I rarely have people in the back however there are the odd times when I have to ferry family about, I can also see the Coupe being a nightmare with the wide doors in car parks. I may be wrong but I think the Coupe is also slightly more expensive than the Saloon the last time I checked. I think the Coupe has the looks however I'm swayed more towards the Saloon.

Just to clarify I already have a C250 saloon and I’d always like to get something different to what I have already. I like the whole new car feeling so getting another C class saloon is a last resort for me.

The coupe novelty is definitely going to wear off quickly with sound of it and the hassle of dragging the kids in and out of the back, and the door opening in parking spaces is a good point I hadn’t thought about.

I’m 33, married with 2 kids so the practical option is the C estate or perhaps the E saloon but possible over budget.

I’ve also got the possibility of considering a top end GLA or middle of road GLC I suppose. But the GLA is probably as impractical as the coupe.

Or the sensible option is probably the C350E if I think about company car tax benefits.

I’ve got plenty of time to think about it but me being me, I get bored quick and like to forward to the next car well before it’s due.

I don’t want to scare monger but I did once see a coupe(not a Merc) with children in the back spontaneously catch fire under the bonnet. The sheer panic and horror of the parents trying and I am pleased to say succeeding in getting the kids out of the back has stayed with me for years. After witnessing that I would never consider a coupe with children. I know this would never happen again but was terrifying.

I checked the space in the back of the "C" coupe but it was quite tight in the back. The "E" on the other hand takes two child seats with no problem , grandchildren are 5 & 7. Their feet still touch the back of the drivers seat though. As for rear passengers there's no problem getting in and there's plenty of legroom. The biggest problem is getting out , best way I've found is come out backwards ie the reverse of getting in.

I've been in the back of a C Class Coupe and found it was alright once you've managed to clamber in although the legroom was pretty bad and that was behind someone who wasn't even tall.
I also had a VW Scirocco a few years back and it was so difficult to get out of the car, even if the space was fairly decent in size - the doors were just so long. I think leaning into the back regularly would be a pain.

The E coupé uses the C coupé chassis IIRC.

My last car was a 6 Series and just replaced with a new E Coupe, my children are now young adults, 14 and 19, never had a problem, yes it’s a little snug in the back and there is reduced practicality with 2 doors, but I much prefer the sleek look of the Coupe.
Never got bored of the Coupe, had the 6 series for 3 years and just taken delivery of the E Coupe

I think it depends on usage. If it’s your main car, coupe is perhaps a pain. As an occasional car for kids, they are 100% fine. The slight fiddle of car seats and access isn’t an issue if it’s only a couple of times a month.

Never had much of a stress with the clk...my youngest has been transported in it since he was 18 months old. But as I say....only occasionally, not every day.

Our daily hack is Mondeo which takes everything a family could throw at it, costs sweet FA to run and puts up with all manner of vomit, sh1t and everything else my kids throw at it. It had had a hard life but IMHO that’s the best type of car when you have small kids. A nice E class would be horrific for me....I’d be too precious about it. I don’t give a feck about the Mondeo, which is just as well really!

The latest E class coupe is the C238 with dimensions more akin to its W213 E Class saloon siblings according to these articles?? This is a departure from the previous C207 which as rightly pointed out was based on the W204
2018 Mercedes-Benz E-class Coupe Revealed – News – Car and Driver

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupé Review (2018) | Autocar

2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E 400 4MATIC Coupé review: Hidden gem

That said, since they all share the same MRA architecture from C to S class its becoming increasingly difficult to distinguish one version of platform from another. While body overhangs may be different the key factors which give a car its ride and handling characteristics are its wheel base and track width. One would have to compare those two with other models to determine a coupes true saloon siblings.

The MRA (Modular Rear Architecture) platform debuted with the all-new Mercedes-Benz C-Class W205, featuring an extensive use of aluminium and a dramatic decrease in weight. It is presumably a lot more flexible than the fixed-wheelbase MFA, with Daimler's Thomas Weber being quoted as saying that over ten different vehicles could be manufactured on the MRA platform, as it allows engineers to differentiate them with different wheelbases and even body width.

If you want a coupe then go for it , no point in buying a car that is not what you actually want.

I had a three door Saab for seven years and it chauffeured the kids about with no issues , only PITA for the front passenger was that they had to get out to let the people in the rear disembark so not really an issue for the driver , me.

With your kids at the age they will be at then there is no need for prams / buggies / travel cots etc. so boot space shouldnt be an issue and same with the rear leg room at their age. If you are giving any adults a lift then they can either live with the tight rear space for the journey , or walk.

Want a coupe , get a coupe as it is your money at the end of the day and they do look much nicer than the saloon as many cars do in three door form.

Kenny

Everyone to their own choice, and I've see many beautiful cars in all their various configurations, coupes (apart from one blood red BMW 3 series I had) don't really do it for me.

Two doors in a 4\5 seater car I just don't get it.

Two doors and I would buy a sports car, an MX5 was for a while on my list (it was within my budget) but as luck would have it I was really pleased to enjoy a Boxter for a few years, lack of practicality forced me to change

I've always always always had a thing about estate cars, and that is what I have yet again (4 now), this is my first Benz estate and I am delighted with it.

Only thing about a coupe is, I would never put kids in the rear of one, I had a roll over once in a four door and getting seat belted people out is a scary experience.

And yes, I have driven ugly undesirable cars (to me) because that is all that I was able to afford :(.

Long live diversity. Enjoy your car choices.

Another +1 for the estate, Bought one due to having a little un and needing the space!
9bb4ea0c499ce2b66ecc6dad14ff5ea3.jpg

d267b1f61889af42e2d1dabc121a2046.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom