• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Nice 560 SEC - 69k miles

The question is why it has been repainted - SECs rust, badly. And they were rusty 20 years ago.

As an aside it was mentioned in the video that it was done some time ago which (if true) would perhaps be less of a concern than a recent respray.

Also far better looking than the SLC it replaced ...

View attachment 155773
Not sure i agree with that but each to their own. Having piloted a LHD late 70's 450 slc for a while twenty odd years ago i can however say with certainty you get a lot of admiring glances driving around in a c107 slc. Fantastic cars imo.

The SLC just looks wrong to me, compared to the R107 SL. But totally subjective and it's a rare car now for sure.

I remember a car trader friend/associate bringing a ropey one home about 20-25 years ago, was less than £2k!

How times and car prices have changed hey! :)

As an aside it was mentioned in the video that it was done some time ago which (if true) would perhaps be less of a concern than a recent respray.
Understood. My concern was whether the respray was done by Ahmed Motors of Slough in his booth, or to MB factory standard in a coach works.

Think of all those lovely 190SL's that have come through from East Europe via Arthur Bechtel these last few years, with paintwork far, far better than original factory original

I had the opportunity to buy a low mileage visible rust free 380 SLC for less than 5 grand a few years ago off a mate. I didn't buy it because I always promised myself a SEC :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

In the space of 3 years it's probably tripled in value and it's now being used a ULEZ free daily drive and my mate is probably feeling exceptionally smug :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I had the opportunity to buy a low mileage visible rust free 380 SLC for less than 5 grand a few years ago off a mate.

Never owned one myself but the 107 has a fearsome reputation for hidden rust (bulkhead/scuttle, behind the bumpers, behind the cladding, etc.).

I had the opportunity to buy a low mileage visible rust free 380 SLC for less than 5 grand a few years ago off a mate. I didn't buy it because I always promised myself a SEC :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

In the space of 3 years it's probably tripled in value and it's now being used a ULEZ free daily drive and my mate is probably feeling exceptionally smug :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
If you're feeling brave..

Lovely colour combination, but those chrome wheel arch trims could well be covering up rust...

Lovely colour combination, but those chrome wheel arch trims could well be covering up rust...
‘Could be’ 😀😂

Wheel arches? Easily cut out and fixed. Bulkhead rust: horrendously complex.

And then there’s the fragile 40 year old cabling and flexible hoses.

Strictly a piece of sculpture for dry storage and very low mileage, unlike a C215 or C216 which could be used as a beautiful, but expensive, high speed daily driver

I don't have the time or money to get involved with anything like that currently. But in the next 5 to 10 years I will be getting a Trust Fund come up and a likely inheritance so will get a C126 then. But shock horror probably will get it electric converted as hopefully by then it will be more common, cheaper and better 😁

I don't have the time or money to get involved with anything like that currently. But in the next 5 to 10 years I will be getting a Trust Fund come up and a likely inheritance so will get a C126 then. But shock horror probably will get it electric converted as hopefully by then it will be more common, cheaper and better 😁

Might have been up your street? :cool:

Not a W126 though. The first actual car that I ever drove (illegally, don't tell my Dad 😁) was a W126 and hopefully when the time comes a W126 will be my last, seeing me through retirement ! The first car I ever drove legally was a W140 but didn't really like it compared to the W126 and have never had a desire to own one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom