• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Noises when car starts to move

Effendi

Hi

I have a 1996 c200 Elegance with 78k mileage and recently the car is making these creaking noises when moving from a stand-still. Whenever I engage D or R gears and the brake is on, the car will start pulling to the front or back (depending on the gear choosen) and the creaking noises will appear. It is most apparent when I am trying to park the car or when I am moving out from a parking bay (especially irritating when I have to adjust the position of the car several times). There is also these noises coming from the front suspension when I pull the steering hard left or right while preparing to move the car for the first time; it is as if there is something frozen there (by the way, the noises are worse during winter).

I would appreciate it if someone can give an explanation to this problem I'm having.

Possibly suspension ball joints or anti-roll bar bushings.

Try lening on the front wing gently and listening for the creak. If it's there it is probably the ball joints.

You can check by jacking up the car until the wheel hangs, then lift the wheel. The joint will show any play.

Reactions: PJH
Hi Dieselman

Thanks for the reply. Is it something serious that needs to be taken care of immediately cause I was thinking of sending the car for servicing after winter and it is still a few months away.

Hello Effendi,
If you are uneasy and have any doubts re safety and not really a mechanical wizard I would err on the side of safety and get the car serviced fairly soon. Its hard to tell whats wrong from your description , it may be bushing or balljoints or one of a variety of causes. For peace of mind get it checked out

Get the noise sorted now.

I had a ball joint snap on me after I ignored the creaking for a short time. Fortunately the car was only going at a walking pace at the time so no other damage was caused, others have not been so lucky. :eek:

The ball joint is cheap and easy to replace so you don't need to worry about cost. as I said, get it sorted ASAP. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom