Noisy G/Box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisbrad66

Car
S320 CDI, W203 320 CDI
Hello all recently my s class has been making a strange noise, when i accelerate quite heavily there is a screeching noise from the car, seems to come from the transmission i think, quite hard to pinpoint though, i bought a dipstick off e-bay for the transmission to check the level but it gets stuck 2/3 rds the way down the hole, but reads full when only in this far?? any ideas on the noise and also how long should the dipstick be from say top to full mark? Thanks for looking

cant help too much but what i can say is that the dipstick will not go all the way in. when it stops then it means its in the correct position.

Thanks for the advice, i've just been searching the threads and realised the dipstick is made to cover various models, hence the overhang when fully in, anybody any ideas on the screeching when under pretty harsh acceleration, definately coming from the transmission?

What condition is the ATF in? How many miles since it was changed?

ATF change, or even low ATF will cause this!

thanks, the atf was changed november 2007 about 7000 miles ago, i dipped it on Thursday and seemed a fraction too full if anything, but the noise has only just appeared, a good clean red colour also

As others previously mentioned, the dipstick is not meant to go fully in. You must be very gentle when inserting the dipstick to "feel" when it hits the bottom of the sump.

The problem is the measure tip is flexible and bends with force when it hits the bottom.

On mine, there is about a foot length remaining when the stick hits the sump bottom, yours will be similar.

I also got frustrated with this and have asked for tips on a post last week on this. Got good advice and opinions.

You are dipping when the oil is hot and engine running ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom