Noisy G/Box

Discussion in 'Engine' started by chrisbrad66, Jul 30, 2008.

1. chrisbrad66

chrisbrad66 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S320 CDI, W203 320 CDI
    Hello all recently my s class has been making a strange noise, when i accelerate quite heavily there is a screeching noise from the car, seems to come from the transmission i think, quite hard to pinpoint though, i bought a dipstick off e-bay for the transmission to check the level but it gets stuck 2/3 rds the way down the hole, but reads full when only in this far?? any ideas on the noise and also how long should the dipstick be from say top to full mark? Thanks for looking

2. SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    cant help too much but what i can say is that the dipstick will not go all the way in. when it stops then it means its in the correct position.

3. OP
    OP
    chrisbrad66

Car:
    S320 CDI, W203 320 CDI
    Thanks for the advice, i've just been searching the threads and realised the dipstick is made to cover various models, hence the overhang when fully in, anybody any ideas on the screeching when under pretty harsh acceleration, definately coming from the transmission?

4. 74merc

74merc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W115 220 S202 C280 Subaru Outback 3.0R
    What condition is the ATF in? How many miles since it was changed?

5. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E63 Weistec AMG, E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    ATF change, or even low ATF will cause this!

6. OP
    OP
    chrisbrad66

Car:
    S320 CDI, W203 320 CDI
    thanks, the atf was changed november 2007 about 7000 miles ago, i dipped it on Thursday and seemed a fraction too full if anything, but the noise has only just appeared, a good clean red colour also

7. c240yaz

c240yaz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

As others previously mentioned, the dipstick is not meant to go fully in. You must be very gentle when inserting the dipstick to "feel" when it hits the bottom of the sump.

The problem is the measure tip is flexible and bends with force when it hits the bottom.

On mine, there is about a foot length remaining when the stick hits the sump bottom, yours will be similar.

I also got frustrated with this and have asked for tips on a post last week on this. Got good advice and opinions.

You are dipping when the oil is hot and engine running ?

Tags: