Not Leather Interior in Mercedes Cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At this rate I might not get to see my leather seats anytime soon because of this Coronavirus. I need to get the train to the dealership and they may be cancelled and/or the dealership may close down. Having said that, we seem to be the only country affected that aren’t taking decisive action.

I took my son to look at a car with Amtico/Dynamica and he said the sm

Not seen any mention of MB tex in the UK. Only heard it mentioned in YouTube videos from the USA/Canada. Is it the North American name for Amtico?
MBTex was available and very common in Europe in the 70's and 80's and 90's but was phased out to be replaced with a cheaper alternative called Artico. The later is nowhere near as hard wearing as the former but does more closely resemble genuine leather.

MB tex in the UK. Only heard it mentioned in YouTube videos from the USA/Canada

Its the name that they used before , I've just been around them long enough to remember. All my modern (30 years of newer) MBs have leather with the exception of the 2005 E320 CDI that I just picked up . Whatever it's called today. I know synthetic rhino hide when I see it and that's MB-tex

Hi guys! I have some similar issues with artico and real leather. So I decided to buy an E class coupe. I've imagined 4 cylinder diesel (6 cyl would be a dream but soy pobre) , automatic, (hopefully panoramic roof, if not, it's cool) and has to be black. So excluding the SE (which in my opinion does not look as nice as sport) there is not a single black E coupe sport without Artico leather. Now, my question is how bad is this artico, will I dread the day I bought it?

Its the name that they used before , I've just been around them long enough to remember. All my modern (30 years of newer) MBs have leather with the exception of the 2005 E320 CDI that I just picked up . Whatever it's called today. I know synthetic rhino hide when I see it and that's MB-tex
Well I’m a MB virgin so have no idea. We seem to have established that my car will have real leather or at least 80% real leather according to the brochure.

Leather's great, but it does age and will need treatment to keep it "as new"

Open the door on an Artico interior that's been looked after, and it'll look as new.

If you didn't pay a shedload of money extra, or at least buy something like an S600, you'll be sitting on Artico.

Hi guys! I have some similar issues with artico and real leather. So I decided to buy an E class coupe. I've imagined 4 cylinder diesel (6 cyl would be a dream but soy pobre) , automatic, (hopefully panoramic roof, if not, it's cool) and has to be black. So excluding the SE (which in my opinion does not look as nice as sport) there is not a single black E coupe sport without Artico leather. Now, my question is how bad is this artico, will I dread the day I bought it?
No it’s not bad, it’s what most Mercedes with “leather” have, most people would have no clue at all. In fact your post suggests that it’s all that’s available so it can’t be bad. Even cars with leather or even nappa leather have some Artico unless paying for true extended leather and that’s rare.

Leather of any description is nice to have on the day you buy the car and the day you sell it, but in between I think I’d maybe prefer something else. It’s hot or it’s cold, rarely in between. Real leather needs to be looked after (especially the finer quality stuff) as it marks easily. People feel disappointed that Artico is not leather, and that leather is not nappa or premium leather, and that premium leather is not extended. It looks great when new, and looks great with 60 years of patina, but like a baseball cap or trainers there’s an awkward stage in between when they’re not new and not broken in.

Artico and Alcantara, the Alcantara was wearing well
Strange I had an ML with half Artico interior and it split on the side bolster too - the fabric was ironically harder wearing. I had the panel replaced and it was almost as good as new again.

Had Artico in my ML and drivers seat side bolster started splitting , car had only done about 70 k , maybe previous owner was big or wore jeans with rivets in them , much prefer the Nappa Leather in my SLK

Ours has done the same.

Was it half-Artico and half-cloth by any chance?

Ours in the ML (W166) is.

The original article is over two years old.

Have you proof that Mercedes are "conning" customers as you suggest?

If you have then show us the sales material where it sates "full leather seats" when they supply part leather because I am sure MB will have worded any description to be legally accurate. In that case the information you want to "let us decide" has / will have been provided.

Why should car prices come down because not all of the seat is leather? There is clearly a cost to produce the car in the trim materials in which it is sold.

Again if you wish to accuse MB o r anyone else of being untruthful I would be happy to see your evidence. For the record an out of date poorly researched article from such a reliable source as the Daily Mail is not evidence is it?

Salespeople are not always completely up to date with all options available in a model as there are thousands of permutations.

The proof is in the man who won the case against Mercedes, not the rag who wrote the article? so here is your proof Mercedes driver wins £850 payout over leather seats which were made partly from plastic | Daily Mail Online

The proof is in the man who won the case against Mercedes, not the rag who wrote the article? so here is your proof Mercedes driver wins £850 payout over leather seats which were made partly from plastic | Daily Mail Online

Absolutely no proof whatsoever.

This link relates to a used car being incorrectly described.

Your original contention was to suggest that Mercedes are mis-representing the trim on new cars as leather when it was either a mix of leather / synthetic or synthetic alone.

It has been clearly outlined by other posts that dealers selling used cars are often not taking care to properly describe a vehicle either by honest mistake or otherwise . New cars are very clearly described as to the nature of the materials used.

Mercedes cannot be held responsible for how someone describes one of their products when sold as second hand .

All this shows is the sensationalist nature and low reporting standards of the Daily Wail but I suppose they know their target audience.

Nice try but no cigar ;)

Our C-class has Artico interior and its fine. Most people that have sat in the car think it's leather. It looks and feels a lot like leather, and is easy to clean etc. After three-years of ownership, multiple trips with grandchildren on board, various 'stuff' loaded and unloaded and so on, the Artico is pretty much unmarked.

Plastic seats are low mantenance,yeah,leather gives you that smell,yeah your choice what you like,but dont be misled with the sales Jargon with the word leather in there from Mercedes Main Dealers,its what they are told to say,Look there just no getting away from it,I've dealt with mercedes main dealers all my life and they tell me its leather interior,i treasure that moment so i can reply,No, ITS PLASTIC, they then change there tune to well its a man made leather synthetic "but its still PLASTIC" but they insist on throwing the leather word in there no matter what they add to it,as for the artico,its not hard wearing,here is the drivers seat on my car,I dont weight much, around 12 stone,cars did around 40,000 this is the result

Attachments

• 89029244_518020889089313_783647088444440576_n.jpg
    89029244_518020889089313_783647088444440576_n.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 89175003_499646780722892_755772677678956544_n.jpg
    89175003_499646780722892_755772677678956544_n.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 16
  • 89327722_596496451078067_4795151314617106432_n.jpg
    89327722_596496451078067_4795151314617106432_n.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 15
So you now accept that what you published is not proof and now you give us anecdotal "evidence"?

We were not discussing what individual dealers may or may not say to customers

Your assertion in your first post was very clearly stating that Mercedes are mis-leading people when it has been established that Mercedes make it clear in sales brochures, build codes etc as to the nature of the interior trim materials.

Your post above also makes the claim that Mercedes dealers are encouraged to lie " with the word leather in there from Mercedes Main Dealers,its what they are told to say".

So who is telling them this and, once again apart from your own view, any real evidence?

It seems pretty obvious that your original "argument" has somewhat unravelled.

I dont have an arguement,im stating facts,my facts im the living proof they say this to people in the dealerships,wether you want to take that on board or not is entirely up to you,I'm opening eyes to the people who dont read the brochures and take the face value of what they are told from a sales person FACT I'v been on the recieving end on many occasions and im sure many people on here have had the same experiance,LEATHER INTERIOR when its not actual leather, but imitation, but they exclude this in the convo.no matter how many times you try pick on whatever im posting,the fact of the matter is,they are selling us PLASTIC SEATS putting us under the illusion its leather,I rest my case

Plastic seats are low mantenance,yeah,leather gives you that smell,yeah your choice what you like,but dont be misled with the sales Jargon with the word leather in there from Mercedes Main Dealers,its what they are told to say,Look there just no getting away from it,I've dealt with mercedes main dealers all my life and they tell me its leather interior,i treasure that moment so i can reply,No, ITS PLASTIC, they then change there tune to well its a man made leather synthetic "but its still PLASTIC" but they insist on throwing the leather word in there no matter what they add to it,as for the artico,its not hard wearing,here is the drivers seat on my car,I dont weight much, around 12 stone,cars did around 40,000 this is the result

That's a bowl issue mate , I'm the same with blowing holes in the crotch of any trousers or pants !

The sad thing is that I'm not even joking !!

Caveat emptor...

Before spending a bunch of money on anything, check it out. Never easier than today with all the resources we have at our fingertips.

I knew exactly the specification of the car we bought, well before we even went along to the showroom. Anything less would be irresponsible IMHO.

I agree that the dealerships should not be misleading customers and in my case, they did not make any comments that I would consider misleading.

I don’t understand how your interior ended up in the state it’s in. Not good, I’d be unhappy too. Not convinced leather would have faired any better to be honest.

On the other hand, our C250d has now done 40000 miles and as mentioned, the interior is unmarked. Our VW Golf has Alcantara seats and 10-years old, 80000 miles. In the time we’ve had it, I’ve loaded/unloaded band gear, golf gear, wife, friends, grandchildren, timber, waste to the tip, etc etc etc more times than I can count. The interior is still pretty much unmarked.

All this reminds me of Peppa Pig’s trip to Mr Fox’s shop to buy an anniversary present for her grandparents. Mr Fox showed Peppa’s family some antiques that were better than in other shops “because they are new”. In answer to Daddy Pig’s query as to whether the chairs were made from oak, Mr Fox proudly replied: “Oh yes, genuine plastic oak”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom