Number Plate Exchange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graeme81

Car
Pending
Hi Everyone,
My wife has a private plate on her car and wants to keep it when she sells the car soon.
I’ve read the DVLA website and it looks pretty straightforward but I have one question. Once I have filled out and paid to put it on the retention list, can I put the original car plates back on immediately or do I have to wait until I receive the paperwork?
I have details of the original plate and believe that this is the number that will be going back on.

I’m sure lots of people have done this before, so would really appreciate a few words of guidance.
Many Thanks
Graeme

If you do it online you can put the old plate back on immediately.

I think that last time I did it they sent mean email telling me it was OK to put the old plates back on.
Don't forget to tell your insurance company. Some charge for the privilege.

Do it online and its pretty much straight away. You get email telling you number, cert to get new plates made if needed ect.

Thanks for the super fast replies everyone. One more quick question, if I sell the car (with the original plates back on) before the new V5 arrives, would that be a problem for the dealer (MB Main Dealer)?
I really wish I had sorted this weeks ago

Thanks for the super fast replies everyone. One more quick question, if I sell the car (with the original plates back on) before the new V5 arrives, would that be a problem for the dealer (MB Main Dealer)?
I really wish I had sorted this weeks ago
No, but I don’t know if the dealer would be willing to buy the car without the V5? BTW it only takes 3 days for the new V5 to arrive!

No, but I don’t know if the dealer would be willing to buy the car without the V5? BTW it only takes 3 days for the new V5 to arrive!
Thanks CLK, I do still have the original V5 which has the VIN etc. However, if it’s going to be problem, we can always delay picking up the car a few days

The dealer can check the registration for themselves.
You can also show them the emails.
That’s what I was hoping to be honest. Thanks Rich

Thanks CLK, I do still have the original V5 which has the VIN etc. However, if it’s going to be problem, we can always delay picking up the car a few days

I have just removed my plate from my discovery, I had my new logbook in 3 days.

Yeah I don’t think it will be a problem though as they should be pretty understanding. They can do all their HPI checks etc without the V5 :)

1. I would be careful regarding selling the car before the retention papers arrive. If something goes wrong with the retention process, you could lose your private plate. I.e., the plate goes with the car (unless it's on retention), so if the car was sold before the plate transfer is completed then you will need to ask the new owner of the car (the dealer or the next buyer) to transfer the plate back to you.

2. Said that it's probably academic anyway because I suspect the dealer will want to see the V5 logbook that matches the plates on the car before taking it in. At the very least the dealer will need to be able to verify that you are the registered keeper and can legally sell the car. So running an HPI check on the car might not be sufficient, unless it shows the current keeper?

3. I was told by the DVLA that in most cases they would reallocate to the car the same plates it had before. But this is not guaranteed and in some cases the car will get a different plate. Another reason to wait for the logbook to arrive.

4. I played it safe at the time and placed the private plate on retention ahead of the sale, then sold the car with the original plates and the new logbook to match. As others said, the process was very quick.

1. I would be careful regarding selling the car before the retention papers arrive. If something goes wrong with the retention process, you could lose your private plate. I.e., the plate goes with the car (unless it's on retention), so if the car was sold before the plate transfer is completed then you will need to ask the new owner of the car (the dealer or the next buyer) to transfer the plate back to you. Said that it's probably academic anyway because I suspect the dealer will want to see the V5 logbook that matches the plates on the car before taking it in.

2. I was told by the DVLA that in most cases they would reallocate to the car the same plates it had before. But this is not guaranteed and in some cases the car will get a different plate. Another reason to wait for the logbook to arrive.

3. I played it safe at the time and placed the private plate on retention ahead of the sale, then sold the car with the original plates and the new logbook to match. As others said, the process was very quick.
If you do it online, you get you retention number there and then in email. Yes you receive a proper cert through post.

1. I would be careful regarding selling the car before the retention papers arrive. If something goes wrong with the retention process, you could lose your private plate. I.e., the plate goes with the car (unless it's on retention), so if the car was sold before the plate transfer is completed then you will need to ask the new owner of the car (the dealer or the next buyer) to transfer the plate back to you.

- The private plate which is removed goes onto retention immediately, online you are provided with the retention cert number instantly and you can immediately re-assign it to another car.

- At the same time you are provided with the details of the plate which should now be fitted to the car, and a certificate is provided for you to have the relevant plates made up. In my experience they have always re- assigned the old plate, but it will be made clear at the time online which plate will be assigned to the car :)

....In my experience they have always reassigned the old plate.

This was my experience so far as well, although the DVLA chap did say it was 'not guaranteed'.

2. Said that it's probably academic anyway because I suspect the dealer will want to see the V5 logbook that matches the plates on the car before taking it in. At the very least the dealer will need to be able to verify that you are the registered keeper and can legally sell the car. So running an HPI check on the car might not be sufficient, unless it shows the current keeper?

3. I was told by the DVLA that in most cases they would reallocate to the car the same plates it had before. But this is not guaranteed and in some cases the car will get a different plate. Another reason to wait for the logbook to arrive.

4. I played it safe at the time and placed the private plate on retention ahead of the sale, then sold the car with the original plates and the new logbook to match. As others said, the process was very quick.

This used to be the case. Much different now, as it's all done online and as soon as you click, you can swap back. V5C then follows very quickly. With all of my last 4 cars, I have done the instant switch. Drive one car to the dealer, do the online swap thingy, drive back a different car on my own plate. DVLA do the change of owner and change of plate on the one V5C. Saves them a job and postage too. Also, no need to faff with change of details with insurance, as the one call again does both - notifies them of the sale and the change of plate to the new car. This last time the car was delivered. The guy arrived, I swapped the plates, then drove him to the station in the new car on my own plate. My old car sat in the drive overnight on its old date plate and the garage who bought it picked it up next day with no issue (they could see and have the old V5C with my plate and the new one went straight to them after I'd dome the trandfer to them online).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom